Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

450D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  10941 forum posts Wales
10 May 2008 - 7:50 PM

Hello friends,

I've had my 450D just over a week now. Not had much time to play, as the management has delegated some pretty desperately needed painting DIY and sharpish! Smile
The fact that I ain't done it before, makes no never mind.

So I'm still trying to understand the mysteries of this little beauty.

By hook or by crook, I have over a couple sessions, managed to download 85 jpeg images onto the pc. I've formatted the card and in future intend to stick to raw images.

I went into my computer and linked the camera to the pc, to try to download images, and I get a message -

[ Camera Window ] is not compatible with the detected camera. Now I've never heard of Camera Window - what is this.

I tried to use a card reader, but that failed due to an error that I didn't write down.

All I know is that from now on, I shall be downloading images on a daily basis, as I can't hack the nonsense I've been going through!

Does anyone have a better idea? I haven't read the instructions yet, how does Eos Utility work?

I apologise for the 20 questions!

Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 May 2008 - 7:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
10 May 2008 - 7:55 PM

Load Canon Digital Pro. Set camera to RAW and enjoy.

Oh, please read the manual.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2008 - 8:00 PM

Have you loaded DPP yet? if not - do so (its on the DVD that came with the camera)immediately, then update it.

If you have, load the card into the card reader and open DPP, you should then be able to download all your images.

As Eric said, it is essential to read the manual as you will not be able to guess many of the functions of the system you now have

Brian

ckristoff
10 May 2008 - 8:01 PM

Elowes,

thanks for your reply. The camera is now set on Raw. When setting up the camera, I thought I chose raw, but inadvrtently chose jpeg!

Read the manual?? OK!! Smile

Frank.

ckristoff
10 May 2008 - 8:03 PM

Hello Brian,

I believe I have loaded the DPP programme.

There was a DVD with the camera, interesting, all about Eos and their EF lenses.

FRank.

Simon_P
Simon_P  8487 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2008 - 8:17 PM

Just curious really, I have never installed DPP and just download straight from card via card reader to chosen drive/folder, never had any issues with any EOS digital.

ckristoff
10 May 2008 - 8:27 PM

Sad

Hmmm... it must be my 2 left thumbs!! Smile

Frank.

elowes
10 May 2008 - 8:29 PM

The one about EOS and lenses is the advert blurb.

DPP is not the greatest of RAW converters but used properly in conjunction with PS, PSE or PSP can produced good results for a minimal outlay.

I have recently tried Aperture. I think it a great programme for the mac but I found I can do just as well, if not better, with DPP and PSE4.

Horses for courses but DPP is a decent bit of FREE software for Canon users.

elowes
10 May 2008 - 8:31 PM

PS

Any card reader should be able to down load images to a folder and, if you have something like PS or PSP, you should be able to work with them without any trouble.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2008 - 8:34 PM

the point about my suggesting you use DPP to download is that it will read your RAW files from the 450D, other programmes such as you PS CS will not be able to.

The latest version of DPP works extremely well and gives good results with well composed pics (it lacks a lot of the editing fucntions of CS but colour control and exposure control are very good)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 10 May 2008 - 8:35 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
elowes
10 May 2008 - 8:39 PM

I would never read my files from the camera. I always copy via a card reader to a folder. Then any modern photo manipulating programme should be able to read the RAW, Tiff or jpeg files.

ckristoff
10 May 2008 - 8:40 PM

Friends,

thanks for all your suggestions, their really appreciated.

I'll try later in the week, as I now have the camera set to raw.

Thank you.

Frank.

ckristoff
10 May 2008 - 8:42 PM

Hello Elowes,

I'm thick with computers, but I do like simplicity!

How do I copy images from a card reader to a folder? I already have a folder, appropriately called 450D.

Frank.

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
10 May 2008 - 9:17 PM

Plug card reader into computer
push card into card reader.
Wait a few moments.
A small window will open in the middle of the screen.
From this window choose to 'Open folder to view files'

select all files and COPY to your selected folder.

If the small window doesn't open, then go to my computer and select the drive from there. It should be identified as EOS_DIGITAL.

Open this and open "DCIM' then '100 CANON'

All your files will be in there.

Select all and COPY to your folder of choice.

It is usually advised to copy rather than move so that if things go belly-up during transfer, the originals will still be on the card.

If you haven't already done this, I and others, would advise you NOT to store your photographs, or any other valuable data on your start-up drive.

Keep them on a second internal drive or a USB or networked external drive.

That way if your startup drive falls over, it won't take your files with it.

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
10 May 2008 - 9:18 PM

You got there before me Chris. I type too slowly.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.