Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

450D

rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
10 May 2008 9:30PM
Another thing about the folders on the card, there will be one folder for every 100 shots taken on the camera. Your first one will be called 100CANON, and will then go up 101CANON, 102CANON etc for each 100 shots. If you go over onto a new card part way through 100, it should retain the numbering and the folder on the next card, although there will obviously be less than 100 in the folder on the new card when you open it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
10 May 2008 9:39PM

Quote:rowarrior said: there will be one folder for every 100 shots taken on the camera.

Eh? Is that just the 450D My 40D's never done that. I have 165 images sitting in my 100 folder as I type.

Have I missed yet another menu setting?
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
10 May 2008 10:32PM

Quote:rowarrior said: there will be one folder for every 100 shots taken on the camera.
Eh? Is that just the 450D My 40D's never done that. I have 165 images sitting in my 100 folder as I type.

Actually it creates a new folder every time the file number resets from 9999 to 0000. So it's every 9999 images (well it is on my 1D series). On my little canon powershot it is every 999 images as the file prefix number only has 3 digits.
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
11 May 2008 11:01AM

Quote:Quote:rowarrior said: there will be one folder for every 100 shots taken on the camera.

Oh, my 20D does that, I guess I figured they all would!
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
11 May 2008 2:48PM
Friends,

thank you all so much for your helpful replies. I do appreciate all of them.

I now need to put all this info into practice!

Before I even bought my camera, I bought a book by Andy Rouse ' Understanding Raw Photography ', and have attempted to set up my camera using his advice. I haven't finished reading it yet, but I have found it helpful, as without this info, I just wouldn't have had a clue!

Frank.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
11 May 2008 8:54PM
Friends,

my brain is really hurting! Sad

This afternoon I went out with my camera and took 12 raw images hand-held.

Came home and wanted to download the images to the pc. First thing I tried was to put the sd card into the card reader. It found some files, so I tried to copy and paste the info onto my 450D folder. Something did start to happen, but with 25 seconds remaining, up came the message - cannot copy _MG_0084 : the parameter is incorrect ( whatever the hell that means! ).

My next course of action was to link the camera to the pc, then open the DPP programme - I didn't have any response - just a blank screen. Perhaps it takes a long time?

My third attempt was to simply put the card into the card reader and look for the info in My Computer. Once again, seemingly no response, although the red light remained on, so does this process usually take a long time.

Forgive me friends, I recently bought a Seagate Free Agent 500GB GO external hard-drive. I don't have a clue how to use this kit either!

This pc I'm using is about 7 year old, could this be a factor?

I do have a newer pc in my music room, not connected to the 'net, put I have got CS loaded onto it.

So far, my digital experience makes me feel like I'm the idiot in playgroup!!

Frank.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
11 May 2008 9:00PM
Hi Frank.
If you PC is quite old it could be your USB ports are USB 1.1 rather than USB 2.0 so they will be quite slow.
If you connect your card reader or camera via USB it should show up as another drive in windows explorer.
You should be able to drag and drop the files wherever you want them.
The best bet is to connect it up and go for a cup of tea and see what happens after a few minutes.

Don't give up at the first hurdle.

And as my old driving instructor used to say to me - "You only get two things by rushing, black eyes and babies"

Doug Wink
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
11 May 2008 9:04PM
Doug,

thank you. I understand what you mean - I think!

I think with the equipment I've got, I could probably go to town for a 3 course meal, come home and still wait for a response!!

I'm tired tonight, so I'll probably give it a go tomorrow.

Frank.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
11 May 2008 9:05PM
We'll get you there Frank.

Wink
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
11 May 2008 9:08PM
Thanks Doug,

I'll try to keep awake - I'm also diabetic.

Frank.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
12 May 2008 5:15PM
Friends,

the latest news.

I've managed to sweet-talk my nearest and dearest into my buying a re-furbished pc. It's --

a Hewlett Packard D530 with XP Pro, Pentium 4,
2.8 Ghz , 512MB DDR Ram, Intel Graphics chip, and it has 6 x USB 2 ports. Oh, it also has a DVD re-writer of course.

Please tell me this will work with my 450D.

When I get it, I'll wait 2 weeks for my sonny boy to come home to set it up.

Then I'll have to phone Adobe to install my CS software onto the new pc, or don't I need to do this?

Does anyone know how I can use my Seagate FreeAgent 500GB Go external hard-drive.

Sorry for all this confusion, but me and pc's do not mix.

Frank.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
14 May 2008 8:11PM
Hi Frank.
That spec isn't too bad so long as the price is right.
It could do with a bit more memory for graphics work, but you can always put some more in at a later date.
You should be able to use it to work on your photos from the 450D OK.

I think I am right in saying that you can have Photoshop installed on 2 computers at the same time, but perhaps someone who knows for sure would be better answering that one.

The external Seagate drive should not be a problem with the new PC.
I see it has six USB2 ports, so you can dedicate one for the use of the external drive.
Just plug it in and it should appear in Windows Explorer as another drive that you can use to store files on.

HTH

Doug Smile
Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 8:25PM
Hi Frank,

Just come back to this thread after a few days. Hope the computer is working OK.

As far as RAW goes, stick with it. I've just started using RAW more. A local café asked me if I would put some pictures up and I said 'yes' then started panicing.

I've looked through my pictures and decided that I had to get to grips with RAW. It isn't as bad as it seems at first. What I find so daunting about messing about with pictures on the computer is there are so many things you can do and so many variations to how the you can make an image look that I get completely confused.

I've solved that by doing as little as possible. White balance, a bit of tweaking of the brightness maybe, tweak the levels a little sharpening and that's it!
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 10:45PM
Frank add at least another 512M of ram. Your 450D will have quite big files so I would advise looking at getting your PC to 2G of RAM if you can 1G as a minimum.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
14 May 2008 10:57PM
Friends,

thanks for your replies. This new pc ( new to me at £129! ), seems ok so far. I'll leave it to your imagination what spec my older pc had. I can't even remember what processor it had! Smile

It is my intention to stick with raw imaging and learn to use it.

Strawman, once I get my external hard-drive sorted, do I still need to upgrade the extra ram?

I downloaded 12 raw images this afternoon, and this pc loaded them pretty sharpish.

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.