Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

4x4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

peter_davey
22 Oct 2009 - 11:13 PM

Looking to get either a Range Rover or a Land Rover Disco - can't decide on what's best, need storage for kit but also the ability to ferry clients and family. Budget is around the 7 k mark so looking for advice from pre owners.

ta

peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2009 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:45 PM

Sold on the landrover brand? They have an awful reputation for reliability, which might be a consideration if you depend upon the vehicle. The main alternatives capable of going off-road would be the Toyota Landcruiser.

At that price range you're looking at a Range Rover P38 95-02 or a Landrover II (99-03), you can read about what to what for on these vehicles here. Of the two a post 2000 Discovery ES Tdi would probably be the best bet, otherwise an LPG converted v8. I'd find a good local independent dealer and have them source a good vehicle for you.

You might also want to check with your insurer that your kit would be covered in the vehicle, particulary if its visible from the outside.

Steve

peter_davey
22 Oct 2009 - 11:50 PM

cheers for thgat i have a navara 4x4 and kit is well covered.

mate has a 53 plate v8 petrol lpg conversiuon as well, but limited lpg availability is a worry

mark_delta
22 Oct 2009 - 11:52 PM

Firstly Do not buy a freelander ! head gaskets fail, prop shafts buckle and the 4x4 transfer box is made from plasticine.
for 7k you wont get much of a range rover and early models even diesels struggle for 11 mpg in town and 21mpg on the motorway.
If you want my advice, test drive a bmw x 5 2.9 diesel first, then try the Landrover range, if you get that far...

peter_davey
22 Oct 2009 - 11:57 PM

no way would i go freelander - bad euroencap test results as well.

x5 now theres a thought - glad i made the post

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:59 PM

A Ranged Rover or Disco for 7k?

Somedays, there isn't a bargepole long enough. Seriously take time out and reconsider your choices. Land Rover products are known as off roaders because they spend most of their time off road being fixed. The only Land Rover I would consider is Defender.

If you must have a 4x4, then the BMW X5 is the one to have (unless you want to do some serious off road work, in which case there is a BMW kit available to enable that). You will struggle to get a good one for your budget though. Engine of choice would be 3.0 diesel if economy matters, otherwise the V8 petrol engines are very nice indeed. Avoid the 3.0 petrol.

LensYews
23 Oct 2009 - 12:04 AM

For LPG availability in the South East, there is a list of LPG stations here.

I see you live at the top of a big hill and therefore the 4x4 might be a requirements. So the other option might be one of the cross over estates, like the Audi allroad or Volvo XC70.

peter_davey
23 Oct 2009 - 12:07 AM

LOL

no plans for off road in either terms Smile, do need reliability to carry kit etc, want to be a one car household,. Had not even thought of the x5 as being an option, defender - realy don't like them, drove a brand new one for 3 days on a corporate event - too small, uncomfortable and just not nice.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2009 - 12:08 AM

How about some Jap Crap, Nissan Xtrail seems popular out here in the sticks, Especially the diesel models, Not sure if your budget is high enough though....Least ways not for a decent one...!

LensYews
23 Oct 2009 - 12:30 AM

Only 5 x5's in the country for less than 7k according to autotrader.

Also as you are using it for business use as well, tax might be a consideration, in which case you might be better off updating the Navarra, as that still counts as a commercial vehicle.

satnavbirder
23 Oct 2009 - 6:08 AM

Dont buy land rover! having lived in Spain for 8 years and in that time spent 70% of my time off road and up mountian tracks there is only one 4x4 for the job Nissan patrol.
from a photographers piont of view all windows open including the rears, 7 seats with loads of room for everyones kit, and got more than enough grunt to pull you out of any problem. Aircon is a must.
I have tried landrovers, Shoguns, Rangers, BMW, Range rover and none compare to the Nissan.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2009 - 6:28 AM

Quote: No way would i go freelander - bad euroencap test results as well.

x5 now theres a thought - glad i made the post

You're not going to get far off road in an X5!
might be OK for a gentle track, but off road it's no better than a
2wd

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2009 - 8:06 AM

Get a Jeep; high clearance, short wheelbase, and power low for the rough terrain.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2009 - 8:08 AM

If you are not going off road then save your money and don't go for a 4x4. Apart from the purchase cost you will have hefty fuel bills, inflated road tax, higher insurance and people hating you for killing the planet and clogging up the roads.

Why don't you look at one of the reasonable sized estates? Mondeos are large, reliable and good value. Audi Allroads are 4WD without the disadvantages.

Ian

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2009 - 8:40 AM

I had a LR Disco, face lift version 2002 double headlamps, low mileage, great looking motor but, to be honest unless you've got the dosh for the new shape i wouldn't bother. I had mine for 12 months and for 11months out of those 12 months it was in the garage with problem after problem after problem. A mate of mine wanted one and asked me what i thought, i told him don't bother, he got one anyway and had near identical problems with his, he kept it for 6 months.

You'd be better off getting a 110 county, there reliable and easy to fix if you get problems, you'll pick up a really decent one for 7K.

Depending where you are you could try HERE

jk

Last Modified By jken at 23 Oct 2009 - 8:41 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.