Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 1:48AM
Sport Relief! The people of this country are truly amazing! Whatever else is going on in our lives we never lose the ability to do so much and give to others in desperate need. GrinGrinGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
24 Mar 2012 10:03AM
John Bishop was very impressive last night

They probably played his clip from senegal a few too many times, but his pleas seemed to eclipse everyone else's
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 Mar 2012 10:08AM
I watched a bit of the programme, but who is John Bishop ?

OK, I suppose Google is my friend to find out for me Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
24 Mar 2012 10:13AM
That's a bit like watching Dr Who and asking who the Doctor is Wink

he was on all night lol

he's the scouser bloke who did the triathalon from Paris to London
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 Mar 2012 10:15AM

Quote:he's the scouser bloke who did the triathalon from Paris to London

Yes I knew that, but what does he normally do for a living etc. ?
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 10:17AM
Added my 5 worth last night after watching his maginificent achievement.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
24 Mar 2012 12:31PM

Quote:Yes I knew that, but what does he normally do for a living etc. ?

He purports to be a comedian, but most of his work is just a tedious left-wing rant.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
24 Mar 2012 12:40PM
John Bishop is a sort of 'professional Northerner' , i.e. his humour, such as it is, seems to be based pretty much solely on that fact!

But good on him if he's done some good.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 5:53PM
I really like his humour. It is good to see a comedian who takes the P*** out of himself over fairly normal everyday family things and makes them so funny! He was so funny last night but clearly very moved by his experiences in Sierra Leone. David Walliams and Miranda Hart also were fantastic. The David Walliams clip with him and the little boy who ended up on the street was heart wrenching, especially when the little boy thanked David for helping them and then threw his arms round him. I wonder how any of the celebrities manage to get back to normal when they return home. It must leave a very long lasting impression on them.
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 11:58AM
You may consider me to be a modern day "scrooge" but read ALL this first.

I WILL NOT give to any charity that supports any overseas project untill ALL our home grown problems have been resolved.
I actively raise awareness of and funds for "Soldiers Off The Streets" and also "Help for Heroes",
I admit I am biased as my youngest daughter needed help when she was discharged from the Army following service in Afghanistan as a nurse.
Help for Heroes assissted us in getting her "PROPER" mental health assessments and treatment for PTSD brought on by the sites she had seen, the Army discharged her as "unruly not suitable for service". Im glad to say Wendy is now getting the support she so desparately needed and deserved yet I still meet those that are not .
So much for Camerons claims about the armed forces looking after there own
As for David Walliams and John Bishop great achievments but wrong charity (in my opininon)
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 12:12PM
Sport relief helps people in this country and others. Everyone can draw a ring fence around where work can be done should be done where does it lie, in your own street, town, county, country etc etc. In the words of the great philosopher we are all Jock Thompson's bairns.

A lot of this countries wealth has been gain on the back of many poorer countries so it is fair to say we should compensate for what we have gained and not be selfish. So there is a space for charities to work here in the UK and other countries. So I think great achievement and correct charity.

Part of the problem you are relaying is how you feel your daughter has been treated and how people have effectively said its not my problem. your daughter. Does your view not show an equal parallel? Sports relief shows how well people can behave when not thinking selfishly.

Help for Hero's are great and its a charity I have helped support. I have not supported our troops being in Afghanistan or the Gulf, but I think the troops deserve help for what they are going through. I have stood and watched the terribly sad sight some dead soldiers bodies being repatriated through Bassett But it is only one of many charities. Many deserve support and we have to look beyond the end of our own noses.
freck 5 19 England
30 Mar 2012 4:35PM
I would agree with you Ikky, we do have many problems in this country that need addressing.

Quote:A lot of this countries wealth has been gain on the back of many poorer countries so it is fair to say we should compensate for what we have gained and not be selfish.

And I would also agree with you strawman, however I do think we as a nation have been raising charitable funds to the tune of billions of pounds for overseas aid for many years, and yet there are still children in Africa who are starving, drinking dirty water etc. It's got to be asked, where has all the money gone? Why isn't there a fresh water well in every village by now? Why are children still dying of malnutrition?
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 11:57AM

Quote:where has all the money gone?

Its gone on bribes, Malitia Armies, Tribal Wars, Drugs and Crime and Suspect Regimes.

As Freck says with all the money that has been donated you'd have thought by now that every village would have access to clean water even if it is only a well.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 1:15PM
... And after all these years, I'd hazard a guess that they're probably not the same children.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.