Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

50 d owners - how good is it?

Artois 8 405 1 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 3:40PM
I am considering upgrading from 400d to 50 d. I have read the previous forum threads and looked at various reviews. Those of you with a 50d the question is would you buy it now? I know about high iso being a problem but I cannot forsee that I would need to use higher iso for the type of shots I take. I thank you in advance for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Stella

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 4:44PM
I upgraded from a 20D to a 50D in January and whilst generally pleased, I can't say that I'm blown away by the 50D.

Also, the 50D will show up any shortcomings of your lenses - generally speaking you will need top quality lenses to get the most out of the camera.

However, with top lenses fitted it does a great job - not compared it to what those lenses would have delivered on the 20D, but my gut feel is that it is a noticeable improvement, especially if you print larger than A3 (when the extra pixels can help - albeit at the expense of some noise issues once the ISO gets beyond 800)

Personally, if upgrading from the 400D, I might be tempted to go for the 40D as this can be obtained quite a bit cheaper than a 50D, and a bit cheaper still if you go second hand.
Artois 8 405 1 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 5:40PM
Thank you John that is useful information. I was also considering the 40d as it is cheaper. I will await further comments and hopefully you guys can help me make my mind up. I am a woman though so I do have the right to change my mind lol!

Stella
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Apr 2009 5:46PM
Chances are you'd be just as happy with a 40D, The money saved could go towards a decent lens.

A high quality lens is always a better investment than a body, Both in terms of image quality & residual value..!

Unless your chasing Mega Pixels, The 40D is a smart choice..
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
21 Apr 2009 5:52PM
Does the 50d have the same rear layout as the 40d (meaning large screen almost to the left hand edge of the body)
Strangely that was one of my main reasons for not upgrading to the 40 as it didnít provide any thumb grip when using a short lens despite the advantage of the larger screen
RTR 5 8 7 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 6:56PM
I too am considering an upgrade to a 50D. My gut feel is that it would be false ecconomy to go for a 40D because the biggest selling point I can see that the 50D has is the latest technology sensor and processor.
Rich.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 7:32PM
I went from a 40D to 50D and have found the following points justify it to myself (apart from the Magpie need for new, shiny things Smile )

- higher resolution really does make a difference to the printed image when you get up to 30"x20" (and i'm hoping, but yet to test, even larger prints)

- the AF micro-adjustment is a cracking tool. I've only used it on one lens so far, my 400 f5.6L but it has made a significant improvment to focus accuracy / sharpness, particularly notoiceable at range / when cropping hard (must be so - even my photo-cynical wife has commented on it Smile )

- I get the feeling that the AF is quicker & more positive when using AI focus + rapid fire. I don't know if this was flagged as one of the mods but it shows when shooting birds in flight in particular (upped my keeper rate by 30-50%) and I have spotted others commenting on this. (Yet others are disputing the effect)

- the improved LCD does let you check sharpness "on-the-fly" but for me this is a marginal benefit.

Downsides:

It is much more demanding on lens quality, picking up unoticed weaknesses on a couple of mine which didn't show on the 40D

It demands more attention to proper exposure otherwise noise can become more apparent (at 100% on screen) than with the 40D (which I found was already quite sensitive to this)

Any sigma flash-guns you have (500DG super and macro-flash for example) will need re-chipping (at around £35 a time unless you have prooof of original purchase). My Sigma macro flash now works better on the 50D than on any of my earlier bodies.

So, that's my experience so far - I had some doubts when I first got it but am convinced now I've been using it for a few months

The 40D is a first rate tool and is capable of producing top quality images - so you wont go wrong with either choice
Briwooly 9 452 5 England
21 Apr 2009 8:46PM
I upgraded from a 350D to the 50D last November and have been delighted with the results, but like all cameras you have to learn and restart the learning curve. I use the 17-40L and the 70-200L F4 I also have a sigma 105 and the canon 430 flash all these work superbly with it.

Brian............................................

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.