Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

500mm mirror lens

I have a canon T90 slr which has the FD mount, I have now purchased a 500mm mirror lens with a T2 mount to fit the T90, the lens has a fixed aperture of f8, I am not too sure how to set up the camera with this lens ie which type of metering to use, can anyone help me please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
19 May 2002 12:42AM
Select aperture-priority mode and leave the camera to set the correct shutter speed, based on the fixed f/8 aperture.
Thanks Pete I will give that a try. Rodney.
yashika 12 4
30 May 2002 8:15PM
I have just done the same for my Contax and was told the same thing. Set AP and let the meter work. There does seem to be a great deal of difference between speeds chosen with the mirror lens on and the standrad lens on AP set at F8.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
30 May 2002 8:41PM
Ah yes I believe some cameras' visual displays shows a reading assume that a wide aperture lens is attached, because there's no electronic coupling to indicate otherwise. In these cases the camera will only adjust to the correct shutter speed as the shutter opens and closes. Or the other reason could be that the mirror lens is reading a much smaller area of the scene which may have different brightness values. Try pointing both at an even toned subject, such as a wall, and see if the readings are the same then.
lighty 12 223 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2002 12:43AM
Not sure of what the T90 has in the way of programs but as it is a none FD lense then you will need to go into STOPPED DOWN MODE,your aperture will be F8 and you should have a shutter speed indicator in there somewhere
many thanks for all your help I have shot a roll of film in the stopped down mode letting the t90 sort its own shutter speed, exposure is spot on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.