Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

50D upgade 7D or 5DII

ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
7 Sep 2011 2:22PM
how mutch of an upgrade is the 7d than the 50d for image quality, and high iso noise ect....?
or should i just make the jump up to the full frame 5D mkII. i enjoy landscape and wildlife photography not shure how the 5D mkII'S AF tracking work with moveing targets sutch as birds in flight prob be the same as the 50d or better?
any comments welcome
cheers ian....

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Sep 2011 2:25PM
What makes you want to upgrade from 50D? What are you not happy with?
thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2011 3:16PM
Do I understand from your post you have trouble with AF on birds in flight? See my thread

[link=]http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/nikon-d7000-focus-tracking-92192[/link]
fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
7 Sep 2011 4:39PM
I plumped for the 7D over the 5DII on the basis that the focusing system on the 5DII was the same as my 40D and was limited for wildlife work. The 7D is great from that point of view and, in general, the image quality is leagues ahead of the 40D, but the noise at high ISO settings is a disappointment and is visible in a grey sky on a full frame ISO 400 image, never mind a crop. I understand this seems to affect some but not all bodies and is fixable by a canon service centre. I'm currently in communication with Canon about this; I'm just a bit peeved that I may have to send my new camera away to get it fixed. They have suggested that resetting the camera to factory settings may fix it but I haven't had time to try this yet and will give it a go at the weekend.
7 Sep 2011 8:42PM
Fraser, if the camera is still under a year or so old (eeven older in strict law!), deal with the shop not with Canon. It's nothing to do with Canon, you didn't buy it from them. The retailer is the one legally responsible for supplying goods of merchantable quality under the Sales of Goods Act and later legislation. The warranty provided is in ADDITION to your consumer rights against the shop and is more limited and less convenient, so you should only deal with the shop/retailer whether you bought on-line or not. The law is the same.

Especially if bought on-line, the seller will try and tell you that you or they have to send the camera back to the manufacturer 'for testing' etc. This is wrong. The retailer may well do so as he bought it from the manufacturer, but you didn't, you bought it from the retailer who has a legal obligation to you. Ignore the Warranty or Manufacturers guarrantee. This is a red herring as the law gives you better rights than any Warranty.

Any decent retailer should know the law but may need a gentle reminder.Wink

ps this is based on an article I wrote a few years back for Hi Fi News magazine
nicktg e2
6 24 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2011 9:12AM
If I can pinch Ian's Thread a moment, I've got a 30d and am looking to upgrade so what does the team think about 7d or 5dMk2 in this case? I too do wildlife and try try to do landscapes Grin but I'm so confused at the moment.

Nick
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Sep 2011 9:20AM
Hi Nick,
Same questions to you really:
What makes you want to upgrade from 30D? What are you not happy with?

If wildlife is your main interest, then I wouldn't really go for 5D2. Focusing is slow, and you lost the crop factor of 1.6x.
nicktg e2
6 24 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2011 9:51AM
Good question Coleslaw,

I wouldn't really want to get rid of the 30d as it's still good for Macro but, but I err well, uhmmm ... I want one Grin

No seriously, I had a play with a friends 50d and it appeared to be better in low light for the same ISO settings. lot faster and the extra "dots" help when I cropped the photo's more than I could with the 30d ( 8mp against 18mp).

I took a look on e-bay and the prices on there for a 2nd had 50d seemed high to me when you consider no guarantee etc, and I don't like the 60d especially (the twisty-turny screen looks a cert for failure (although my old Fuji S9600 hasn't yet Smile) so I thought 7D - the extra FPS would be nice, and the HD vid could be useful I guess but not overly bothered about that- my Android fone does HD!) then someone said about the 5D but I hadn't considered that - don't really want to go to a 1D(of any mark as the damn bag is heavy enough now !)
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Sep 2011 9:54AM
5D2 is brilliant for most thing, but not that much on wildlife for the reasons I stated above.
Twisty turny screen on 60D could be good for macro too as you don't have to get down low to see what you are shooting.
Extra FPS on 7D should be good, though you do have to do some experiments with settings etc to get the best out of it.
nicktg e2
6 24 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2011 10:05AM
Cheers, thats the easy bit now I have to get the plans past the wife Grin... better put the lottery on!

Nick
10 Sep 2011 10:27AM
Tell the missus that getting a new camera will get you out the house and from under her feet - sure to work!!Tongue
nicktg e2
6 24 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2011 7:41PM
Hahaha ... You're right! It got me to Bridlington las weekend and Spurn in a couple of weeks !
MrDennis 5 234 Wales
12 Sep 2011 9:31PM
If you be doing Landscapes/Portraits/Macro then 5DmkII.
If you be doing Birding/Nature etc then 7D. 7D will also do excellent Portraits/Landscapes etc.
I just bought a second hand 50D for Macro work only..After using my 7D for nearly everything else I wish I had waited and either bought another 7D or a 5DmkII for my Macro work. 50D images look NAFF after comparing to a 7D. I wasted 500 on buying the 50D as far as I'm concerned.
GO 7D...JMHO
nicktg e2
6 24 1 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 10:09PM
Thanks for that MrD, I'm not sure I can stretch to 2 new camera's (didn't win the lotteryGrin... Maybe this week) SO I would probably use the 30d for Macro for now( unless my daughter pinches it like she did my old one!)

I guess the 5DMkII would be OK for Macro as the 1.6x crop doesn't really matter when you're within inches of the subject ... now where's that Ticket .....

Nick
OK55 4 4
24 Sep 2011 5:39PM
I've got both 7D and 5DII. Essentially different cameras. I'd say if you're into portraits/events/landscapes buy a 5dII; the image quality is out of this world esp with decent L lenses. If you're into sports and action photography on the other hand the 7D would be clearly better - better AF and higher rate of frames per sec. Odd thing I've noticed though is that the ultra-low light performance of the 5DII seems to be better. Under such conditions it focuses faster with my 24-70 f/2.8L than the 7D with the 17-55 f2.8IS...
Brgds

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.