Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

50D or 5D decision?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
funkeldink
funkeldink e2 Member 101592 forum postsfunkeldink vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 1:50 PM

just upgraded from 350d to 50d and WOW ... my lenses perform beautifuly ... the screen on the back is drop dead gorgeous ,,, the sensor is well impressive and so far i am very very impressed with the high iso ... the most important factor for me .... do you need full frame?? .. if not you will love the 50d ...trust me ...don't listen to the 'hear-says'

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2008 - 1:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mipettin
mipettin  9884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 2:18 PM

One very useful feature on the 50d which you will not find on the 40d is the micro adjustment.

I also understand that you can also verify whether an image is sharp on the 50d - something not possible on the 30d (Cannot vouch for the 40d) as the resolution of the LCD meant images looked soft when you zoomed in to confirm focus. Perhaps Dan can comment but I understand the embedded jpeg from the 50d RAW files is larger and you can zoom in quickly at 100% to assess sharpness. Again a hugh boon for many applications.

There is also the sRAW feature where you do not want huge files sizes but the flexibility of RAW.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014556 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 2:22 PM

Quote: the most important factor for me ....

you summed it up when you said for me

everyone has different requirements

high ISO isn't something that bothers landscape or architecture togs to much because their subjects don['t move and the camera is usually on a tripod

high ISO would be important to sports, action, wildlife and papperazzi togs as they need to freeze motion and need higher shutter speeds.

it's a bit like going to the doctor and asking to be cured - if you don't tell him what's wrong, he may well not give you the right medicine.

if you don';t know what you'll be shooting, you may well get the wrong camera.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 2:50 PM

Having looked at the DPREVIEW test being mentioned in detail I am not certain their test is strictly fair. For example with their studio scenes you need to set the cameras with a quality lens so that the view recorded by each camera is equal. I think they achieved this.

But for detail crops you need to zoom in to the same subject size, and in this they have zoomed in to the same pixel size. This is probably not fair to the higher resolution cameras. I would say the fairest test would be to interpolate all the cameras up to 15mp, then look at the detail recorded. For example they site the A700 as having sharper per pixel results, true, but the 50D is clearly resolving more detail, look at the coins on the bottle lable.

And again for the noise, if comparing to the 40D, do you not have to up sample or down sample the 50D, or let it have some level of noise reduction till you have the same detail recorded.

Just a view.

BurntOut
BurntOut  7321 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 6:09 PM

Thanks everyone for their comments.

Quote: with all due respect will probably push you to get the best out of them.

I certainly hope so, Dan. Thanks for a comprehensive reply.

Quote: everyone has different requirements

Yep. Anything I buy is going to be a compromise for something I want to do with it, because I'll want to have a go at everything. Smile

Some food for thought. I'll update when I've decided.
Neil.

Briwooly
Briwooly e2 Member 8452 forum postsBriwooly vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 8:09 PM

Quote: Just upgraded from 350d to 50d and WOW ... my lenses perform beautifuly ... the screen on the back is drop dead gorgeous ,,, the sensor is well impressive and so far i am very very impressed with the high iso ... the most important factor for me .... do you need full frame?? .. if not you will love the 50d ...trust me ...don't listen to the 'hear-says'

Just done the same and cant agree more I am using L glass with it ,the 17-40 & 70-200 and love it to death already Smile Smile

Brian...............................................

BurntOut
1 Nov 2008 - 8:31 AM

Would I need any additional software for the 50D? Running C1 LE and Elements at the moment. Doesn't list the RAW files as supported.

mipettin
mipettin  9884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2008 - 9:47 AM

Burntout

You will receive DPP with the camera which is Canon's own RAW converter. As I understand it few software support the 50D - could be the new version of Lightroom supports it - i.e. 2.1 but C1 LE and Elements will definitely NOT support it.

Martin

BurntOut
1 Nov 2008 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Martin. Something else to factor in to the decision. Don't really get on with DPP.

BradUK
BradUK  9553 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2008 - 11:28 AM

Quote: but C1 LE and Elements will definitely NOT support it.

Capture 1 does support the 50D with version 4.5.1 (not sRaw though)

Download 4.5.1

BurntOut
1 Nov 2008 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Brad. That's a bit less painful than having to buy CS4 or Lightroom.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
1 Nov 2008 - 11:37 PM

Quote: Burntout

You will receive DPP with the camera which is Canon's own RAW converter. As I understand it few software support the 50D - could be the new version of Lightroom supports it - i.e. 2.1 but C1 LE and Elements will definitely NOT support it.

Martin

If you have the appropriate version of Elements, you can download and install a version of the Adobe plugin that can open 50D files (v4.6). That should work with Elements v5 or later.

Jo

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62360 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
2 Nov 2008 - 10:03 AM

Start with a look at your portfolio!
There are some wide angle shots - and some long lens shots.
If you are getting the wide angle shots you want with your existing equipment you will get them with the 50 D.
What you probably will not get with the 24-36 5D is the reach needed for your boat shots without buying a longer telephoto.
If you want wider shots than now the 5D is the option - with the need to budget for a new wide angle and probably a longer telephoto.
Do you prefer minimal depth of field or the option of more depth of field or faster shutter speeds? From your portfolio I expect the latter.
For the same viewfinder crop the 50D has about 1.25 stops more depth of field or more than 1 shutter speed faster than the 5D. This is why cropped sensors are the camera of choice for most sports and wildlife photographers.
The 50D is likely to be the equal of the 5D for noise - and better for colour quality - though my forecast is plenty of second hand 5D's at much lower prices than now by Easter.
As to resolution how important is it?
A 50% increase in sensor MP because of inverse square law and taken in isolation is worth 25% more sensor resolution, BUT unless the lens resolution is upgraded at the same time the resolution available for bigger prints or pixel peeping at 200% is only around 12.5% - useful but (depending on your point of view) not significant.
MP should not be taken in isolation as in camera software can be equally or more important with each generation getting more resolution per MP.
With this in mind the 50D is likely to deliver about 20% more resolution than your present camera - though do not ignore achieving better resolution means controlling camera shake more effectively. This latter point is not the issue it was as improved noise performance enables faster ISO for faster shutter speeds though review feedback I have seen is even with the 50D Canon have not quite caught up with the Nikon D300.
Digressing the Nikon D300 has a much greater resolution increase over the D200 than the extra 2MP implies because the improved Expeed in camera software (the 50D has an equivalent) and CA removal feature contribute a lot to the resolution increase.
I get the impression you do not often do big enlargements. As a yardstick the Nikon D3 does good quality A2 at 6400 (which is why I bought one) thanks in part to modern interpolation software.
I am not disputing that 21 MP gives the ability to get decent A1 prints - but I get the impression going to A1 is low on your list of photographic requirements.
Next compare both cameras side by side in a shop - even if you have to travel some distance to do so. The 5D viewfinder is dim by FF standards and the 50D viewfinder is a big improvement on what you have - comparing each side by side is always useful.
The 50D has better AF (probably a bonus with your boat shots) and better metering as well as the FPS.
Only you can make the final decision.

JASPERIMAGE
11 Nov 2008 - 1:41 AM

I upgraded from 30D to 50D and also updated from CS2 to CS4. First the res on the Camera is absolute brill with the type of landscape that I perform, crop. I had to wait a week for RAW 5.1 via Adobe to work with my RAW shots ( I always shoot RAW ).

CS4 is absolute brill, the RAW convert allows you to enhance small areas etc and has loads of great tools. CS4 in main is likewise.

I also considered upgrade to 5D, but the thought of changing 3 of my lens proved to much, now I have resolution etc that I wanted and my images are brill when crop and then printed.

BurntOut
23 Nov 2008 - 9:28 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone. Went with the 50D in the end. So far so good Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.