Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

53% think Tories are ready to govern after the next election

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:10 PM

In the Independent today: According to a survey, 53% of us think a Cameron led Tory party are ready for government after the next election even though they are are not sure what the Tories stand forůDoes this mean that 53% of us are stupid?
No wonder the country is in such a state!

Garth

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2008 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:26 PM

I think it is probably more a case of 53% think the Labour government are not ready to govern and the Liberals have still not convinced them that they are a serious party.

Ian

keith selmes
28 Jul 2008 - 1:27 PM

I don't think any of our parties are ready to govern, and I don't know what any of them stand for.
That includes the ones who are there now.
So it doesn't make much difference really.

None of them are going to tell you what they're real intentions are, unless you mole your way inside, because if you knew you wouldn't vote for them.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:29 PM

yup - it's all about "change"

Though no one actually knows what Cameron's policies are, people assume that they have to improve on Brown's.

Also, Cameron seems to be a stronger leader than Brown, which shocked a lot of people, me included.

Stalin to Mr Bean - who'd have thought it?

I'll not be upset to see the end of the Labour government and their endless stealth taxes

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
28 Jul 2008 - 1:34 PM

Quote: Also, Cameron seems to be a stronger leader than Brown, which shocked a lot of people, me included.

He likes to play to the cameras much more than Brown ever would so he will always seem to come across as stronger. although watching him dodge a basic question a couple of weeks ago was an instant reminder of how much like a typical slimy MP he really was.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
28 Jul 2008 - 1:34 PM

Quote: Does this mean that 53% of us are stupid?

Nope. 53% plus all those still willing to vote Labour. Around 95% I would think

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:44 PM

Quote: I don't think any of our parties are ready to govern, and I don't know what any of them stand for.
That includes the ones who are there now.
So it doesn't make much difference really.

None of them are going to tell you what they're real intentions are, unless you mole your way inside, because if you knew you wouldn't vote for them.

Yep. I think the media are very influential in these matters. Many 'experts' and political commentators disagree with me and they say the electorate are more sophisticated than to be swayed by the media to vote one way or another.
I think it's impossible to measure how much the media might influence our voting tendencies. However, I firmly believe that the media, deliberately or otherwise, sets the agenda as to which issues can be discussed or not; which issues are 'on message' or 'off message.'
For example, we have this ridiculous unsustainable idea that economic growth is always imperative.

Garth

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:49 PM

Saying that you will vote tory when Labour is in power is one thing - but actually ticking the box on election day is another matter.

Quote: Nope. 53% plus all those still willing to vote Labour. Around 95% I would think

LOL - very true I think Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:50 PM

Quote: Though no one actually knows what Cameron's policies are, people assume that they have to improve on Brown's.

The same was said of Labour / Blair in the run up to '97 they were cute keeping things close - so the opposition couldn't steal their thunder. Cameron (or is it Blair in discuise) is just emulating what Labour did in 95/96 - they also said Major was weak and a ditherer, sound familiar?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 1:57 PM

Quote: Cameron (or is it Blair in discuise) is just emulating what Labour did in 95/96 - they also said Major was weak and a ditherer, sound familiar?

Very - its like someone has photocopied the script. All we seem to have is a choice of 2 identical parties these days.

I do feel a bit sorry for Gordon Brown though he must be sitting there wondering how is being pilloried yet the last bloke seemed to get away with lying through his teeth all the time.

Seems a strange way to pick our leaders though, by deciding which one is the better liar.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 2:04 PM

What Blair did well is when the perverbial hit the fan - he fronted the press straight away, Brown being more introspective tends not to like dealing with the press - it makes him both appear weak and (probably more importantly) a target for the press.

I suggest anyone that wants an insight on the press etc reads Piers Morgans Autobiography.

gcarth
28 Jul 2008 - 2:19 PM

Quote: I do feel a bit sorry for Gordon Brown though he must be sitting there wondering how is being pilloried yet the last bloke seemed to get away with lying through his teeth all the time.

Absolutely! I get very irritated with this obsession we have with the need for people to have charisma. Both Blair and Cameron are said to have this quality and yet I think Brown's one redeeming characteristic is that he doesn't have this 'so-called' charisma. It's not a leadership problem. Nothing can save the 'New Labour' party while it implements Tory policies. For that, Brown shares the collective blame of his party.
I agree that the Lib Dems have always seemed 'wishy washy' but I wonder how much that is down to the fact that the media, including the BBC, seem to ignore the Lib Dems.

Garth

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 2:21 PM

i think we should take governing power away from the humans and give it to the animals for a year - they couldn't do a worse job Grin

gcarth
28 Jul 2008 - 2:38 PM

Quote: I think we should take governing power away from the humans and give it to the animals for a year - they couldn't do a worse job Grin

We already have - according to David Icke! He says we are controlled by reptilians that take on a human form!

Garth

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2008 - 3:52 PM

Quote: I get very irritated with this obsession we have with the need for people to have charisma.

Agree. A highly overrated quality. but unfortunatly, in this media driven age, it seems to be the only thing that counts.

By all accounts Hitler was full of it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.