Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

53% think Tories are ready to govern after the next election

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 5:11PM

Quote:Agree. A highly overrated quality. but unfortunatly, in this media driven age, it seems to be the only thing that counts.

By all accounts Hitler was full of it.

Hi Stolzy. Yes. When you see the old films of the rather unprepossessing, indeed ridiculous, figure of Hitler mesmerizing the crowds with all that manic arm waving you wonder how he got away with it.
I sometimes wonder if 'normal' and moderate figures like John Major and Jim Callaghan were really that bad. Maybe they had too many economic and sociological mountains to climb.

Garth

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
28 Jul 2008 5:18PM
It has always happened from Ceaser to Churchill - look at the great civil rights leaders they all had the oritary skills, MLK, Malcolm X, even Mandella. Even the rogues gallery Hitler, Stalin etc

Communication skills are ultimately what matters in all walks of life - why should politics be different?
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 5:19PM

Quote:take governing power away from the humans and give it to the animals for a year
If only Desert Orchid was still alive - he'd make a great PM.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 5:28PM

Quote:Communication skills are ultimately what matters in all walks of life - why should politics be different?

Communication skills are important, but surely what ultimately matters is if the communicator is telling the truth or is it just media spin?

Garth
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 5:29PM
If Brown hadn't let it be known that he was thinking of an election at the time of last years Labour conference He'd still be ahead of Cameron. In spite of the economic problems which I'm sure most realise no UK government can control.

He lost the press, even the more Labour friendly ones, by looking weak, and frankly stupid, at that point and they've all been going for it ever since...
28 Jul 2008 5:32PM

Quote:influence our voting tendencies
I expect I'll vote for the best candidate for my constituency. Almost certainly that will be the Conservative. That doesn't mean I want a Conservative government, or Cameron as leader, but unfortunately thats how it works.
Not that it matters much anyhow, any MP who honestly represents the constituency will be overruled or ignored by central government, and botched policy will be forced on us from London, as it always is.

Its not really surprising if people are confused, casual or apathetic about politics.
stuwhitt 10 1.4k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2008 10:58PM

Quote:Almost certainly that will be the Conservative

And why would that be? I have yet to meet a decent tory, they all deserve to rot for the damage they have inflicted on community's up and down the land (they killed the area I live in) and ordinary working people (remember 15% interest rates, interest rates being set for political advantage at election time, negative equity etc), and don't forget those tories who ended up in court and prison for being sleazebags.

Even the blame for the high energy prices today can be laid at the door of the last tory government, remember how they shut all the pits and encouraged the dash for gas for new power stations, which means now we have to import gas to fulfill demand
29 Jul 2008 7:46PM
Why the conservative ? Because the other parties have not in the past offered a candidate who appeared to know anything about the constituency and local issues. They don't seem to have a clue. Next time might be different, but I don't really hold out much hope.
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
29 Jul 2008 9:33PM
i never bother to vote and when people say "if you don't vote, you don't have a say" (my labour obsessed aunt included) - i just simply reply - i have no say anyway whether i vote or not.

im sticking with the animal as government idea because i think cute little puppies, kittens and rodents as politicians would look cool but i would also like to combine the legalise cannabis party into government for a year - i could live with a britain that has everyone layed back and relaxed and animals partly because there wouldn't be money problems as animals arn't interested in money.

make the UK tax free for a year too

i forgot desert orchid was dead - i wonder if shergar is dead or living it up abroad somewhere?

whatever happens get these current greed hungry human pantwaist out of the government office.

do we still need the royal family or perhaps that is another thread to cover Grin

peter "morpyre" turner
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Jul 2008 9:38PM
anybody still think that ANYBODY has the right to vote?
Wink
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
29 Jul 2008 9:42PM
we have the right to vote but the government will always make their own choice in any decision that comes up Grin
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2008 10:46PM

Quote:We have the right to vote but the government will always make their own choice in any decision that comes up
Sure, we have the right to vote but are deprived of the right to an intelligent debate and unbiased political coverage of issues.

Garth
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Jul 2008 2:20AM
Just two things:

(1) It scarcely matters who wins the next election. About 75%+ of our laws are just a (compulsory) rubber-stamping of EU directives. Some say that will rise to over 90% before too long.

(2) Surely nobody in this day and age still thinks politicians run UK plc? They are there, principally, for a combination of entertainment and distraction away from those unelected ones who rule by means of their wealth and control of resources. Often located abroad!
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Jul 2008 6:34AM
I just want to know precisely what Brown has done, as prime minister, to make himself so unpopular. As far as I can see, he largely seems to be a victim of events which are outside of his control...
Barbaraj 7 450 England
30 Jul 2008 7:53AM

Quote:I just want to know precisely what Brown has done, as prime minister, to make himself so unpopular. As far as I can see, he largely seems to be a victim of events which are outside of his control...
Brown miss calculated on the 10 p tax cut.
He also thinks economics instead of overall as Prime minister.
He dithers and wants time to think rather than be decisive.

Blair was much more of a quick thinker.

I'm bothered as no party is the right party just now. I'd rather vote with a ballot paper which had a tick box for none of the above .

Then I would have made my mark.
Barbara

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.