Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

5D exposure help needed please?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:25 AM

Hi guys, well i just bought a sigma macro lens for my 5D and although the ISO is set to 400, in bright sunshine i am only able to get 1/125 at F8, i am wondering if it's to do with me trying to capture 1:1 images instead of normal scenes? what do other people do with regard to exposure with the 5D, what settings should i expect to be using? i have had the camera for only a short time and havn't really had time till now to use it, i'm not quite sure what to expect since i've not used a DSLR with a full frame sensor before, i am sure my Nikon Du70s is more sensitive?

Terry.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82344 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 7:40 AM

Terry,

Are you now shooting at a much closer range to the subject than you were? This could be effecting the amount of light entering the lens regardless of the ambient conditions.

Adam

Snapper
    Snapper  93766 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 11:02 AM

How does the histogram look? If it is showing the correct exposure then you'll know that it's all working properly.

bmh1
    bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm sure that somewhere in the manual which came with my Sigma 50mm macro lens, that the lens had a smaller effective aperture than f/2.8 at the macro end of the focus range, I don't know if this applies if you set a smaller aperture via the camera.

It might be that you need to apply some exposure compensation ...

vickyf
    vickyf e2 Member 9vickyf vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:42 PM

I use a Canon 100mm macro lens on my 5D MkII and have used both this lens and the Sigma macro with my old 5D. You will find that, if you are very close to the subject, the speed will drop dramatically but, as said above, if the histogram is ok, this isn't a problem. I tend to use lens for flower photography and usually use a tripod and remote due to the low speeds and usually go for aperture priority and manual focus to control the dof. So I wouldn't worry to much about the settings, just have a play around and experiment.

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3144 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:52 PM

small things close up reflect less light.... less light on same big sensor means lower shutter speeds . unfortunately this is a problem with macro and why flash (ideally ring) is used on macro work because even in good light the actual low level light from filling large sensor results in this

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    tepot
    28 Apr 2012 - 6:46 PM

Dammit, now i wish i'd got the sigma for the Nikon with the small sensor, oh well i'll have to get a flashgun then, not too much of a problem i guess since i do believe the colours 'pop' more with flash photography. I'll get a small one and play with it and see what happens (keep it clean ok)!

i read that ringflash will give a 'flat' image so may end up with a nice gun and use it off camera.

thanks for the advice people.

Terry.

tepot
    28 Apr 2012 - 7:07 PM

i have the sigma 150 macro, canon 17-40 and canon 70-200 f4 which i am using on the 5D MK1, would these lenses fit the Canon 50D if i chose to switch to a crop sensor camera for macro work?

then i guess it's $1200 for the 50D body or $350 for canon ringflash for 5D setup?

Terry.

Last Modified By tepot at 28 Apr 2012 - 7:09 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 7:19 PM

All those lenses will fit fine on a 50d...and with the macro especially you will benefit from an increase in magnification being a 1.6x crop sensor compared to the full frame of the 5d.
    As for ringflash....you dont really need it for macro....you can get away with a single speedlite set up correctly and its a far cheaper option
    One I took with a Speedlite

tepot
    28 Apr 2012 - 7:26 PM

I'm assuming according to the comments above that i will get a brighter image with a crop sensor too?

Terry.

lawbert
    lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 7:36 PM

In theory you will Terry as you will have a greater working distance from the subject on a crop sensor...
    To be honest though I dont personally see it making a lot of difference unless you are so close you are casting a shadow on the subject.
    If your photographing a static subject like a flower then you have all the time in the world to use a reflector to get your lighting correct, If its bugs and insects then try to always keep the subject out of shadow and keep an eye out for where the sun is...even on a cloudy day.

tepot
    29 Apr 2012 - 11:43 PM

i just came back from a bug shoot with my D70s and put some theory to test, the D70s with it's crop sensor at ISO200 gave me 1/200 at f11, the Canon 5D with it's full frame sensor gives me 1/100 at ISO400, now is it the sensor size that is giving me the difference or what is going on here?

is it the type of sensor used, since the 5D is using a CMOS one?

Terry.

bmh1
    bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2012 - 5:42 PM

Are you comparing the same macro lens on the D70 against the 5D, are you comparing the same magnification, obviously you would need a 1:1 macro for a 35mm object to appear full width on image, but only around 1:1.5 magnification for a 35mm object to appear full width on a (say) 22mm sensor.

As I mentioned above, it appears that for the Sigma macro lenses, the effective aperture becomes smaller at large magnifications, here is the table scanned in from the manual with my 150mm macro:

sigma150.jpg

tepot
    1 May 2012 - 2:49 AM

Then surely that would apply to ALL macro lenses no matter what focal length?

no i am using the sigma 150 on the 5D and the Tamron 90 on the D70s.

Terry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.