Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

5D II announced (now there's a surprise)

User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 5:33AM
The worst kept secret in dSLR history (possibly) but it's been expected for many months now.

Officially announced today at 21 megapixels and with video. It apparently uses the AF system of the 5D (so it probably will work Wink) plus the CMOS of the 1Ds III along with other technology announced in the 50D. Due to ship in November and US rrp is $2699

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 5:48AM
Details here
Up early Barrie?
I like the comment on the silent shooting feature: 'helpful to law enforcement officials.....'
17 Sep 2008 5:59AM
Yes Stevie - no rest for the wicked! I was woken up at 4am by a picture editor wanting a picture of the Home Secretary from a shoot yesterday afternoon despite the fact that it had been sitting in their library since 6pm yesterday evening! Such is life - sleep is for wimps anyway Smile

The silent feature has been available on the Series 1 cameras for a while and if it works the same way, is quite effective but can only be used in one shot mode. Still wish they had it on the Nikon D3 though as this is the loudest camera I have used in a very long time!
17 Sep 2008 6:27AM
The bit in their blurb that I like is:

The Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR camera automatically conducts peripheral illumination correction when shooting JPEG images, a function that previously could only be accomplished through post-image processing using software....... Peripheral illumination correction evens brightness across the image field, making an image of a blue sky even toned throughout and reducing light fall-off at image edges. This new feature essentially eliminates one of the limitations of previous full-frame digital SLRs.

In other words, there is vignetting on some lenses Grin

It does sound like a nice camera which will excite some Canon shooters and infuriate others as is usual Smile
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 6:48AM
Oh it's got video too - wonder why they introduced that Wink

Estimated retail price of $2,699 so a quick calculation (allowing for FX rate fluctations and tax, etc) leads me to believe it will be 2,699 Wink
stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 6:49AM

Quote:In other words, there is vignetting on some lenses

Quite. Never say it in a few words if a whole paragraph will do!!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Sep 2008 7:25AM
...and now the 1Ds MKIV is right around the corner.
andypitstop 10 89 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 7:50AM
Canon uk's link on 5dmk2..... link
Andy
17 Sep 2008 7:55AM
One more link ........specifications......
link
Andy
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 8:04AM
The bit I like is this:

Quote:
Canon's "CA" Creative Full Auto setting can also be found on the EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR camera's mode dial. This setting allows users to make image adjustments such as aperture or shutter speed through an easy-to-understand navigation screen on the camera's LCD menu, allowing them to "blur the background" or "lighten or darken the image.

Like someone who would buy a 5D doesn't understand exposure.....
17 Sep 2008 8:12AM
One more for those who have allready saved up there hard earned pennies..... link
Andy.....
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Sep 2008 8:39AM
already got a pre-order email from warehouse express!
can't see a price though.
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
17 Sep 2008 8:42AM
2299.99! Wink
boony 8 978 3 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 8:43AM

Quote:
Like someone who would buy a 5D doesn't understand exposure.....

leave that to the nikon crew Wink
User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
17 Sep 2008 8:46AM

Quote:Already got a pre-order email from warehouse express!
can't see a price though.

It is 2299. I think it will drop in price quite quickly as i cant see it selling as well as the 5d. Nikons range is very strong at the moment and the second hand price of the 5d is going to give people who have never been able to afford ff the chance to get one now. the 5d is such a good camera that i dont feel the need to get a mkII. Im sure there will be lots of people buying 5d bodys second hand due to the quality of the camera. I will be interested to see if the 5dmk11 affects the second hand price of the 1ds mark II as that is a camera that i would like to purchase. james

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.