Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

5D mirrors.

danbrann e2
10 497 15
17 Nov 2010 9:55AM
I had a nice surprise the other day when I had a malfunction in the camera. I took the lens off to investigate and The mirror dropped to the floor. A colleague I was with mentioned that he thought Canon were doing a recall on the 5D to add more adhesive to keep the Mirror in place.
My camera is away at a Canon aqent at the moment and hopefully the repair was free of charge although it did cost 9.50 to send it and presumably the same amount to have it returned.

Canon owners beware.

danbrann

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 10:04AM
Heard of this when I had my 5d, but never had a problem, a guy I know had the focus screen fall out a couple of times though,
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 10:04AM
I had this problem a couple of months back. (First shot on a Wedding no less Wink )

Took the camera into Fixation, and it was repaired under warrenty free of charge. They even covered the cost of postage on return
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 10:14AM
Is this a mk1 or a mk2 issue?

Adam
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 10:16AM
Its a Mk1 issue
17 Nov 2010 11:55AM
Never had a problem with the mirror on my 5D when i had Canon's, the only thing that mine was prone to was muck for some unknown reason getting caught up in the focus screen area, used to sit on the focus screen and appear on images...Sad

I'm in a better place now...Wink
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 12:14PM
Phew... got me worried there for a mo.
Rudix e2
4 7
21 Dec 2010 4:02PM

Quote:Never had a problem with the mirror on my 5D when i had Canon's, the only thing that mine was prone to was muck for some unknown reason getting caught up in the focus screen area, used to sit on the focus screen and appear on images...Sad

I'm in a better place now...Wink

If the dirt was on the focus screen it would not appear on the images!! You would see it through the view finder but not on the images, remember the mirror and focus screen flip up when you take the photo, the light moves from the lens, through the shutter directly onto the sensor......

Never had a problem with my old 5D, still have it but it is now sitting with the retired bodiesGrin

As for the "better place", I shoot more than one brand, not so sure Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.