Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

5d mk III, 1Ds mk III or 1d mkIV?

Paintman e2
8 876 173 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2012 9:41PM
I'm looking to upgrade from a Canon 40D to either the 5d mk III, 1Ds mk III ( used ) or 1d mk IV ( used ) as they are all about the same price on ebay. I need low light and good low noise capability, fast and accurate auto focus to photograph anything from macro to landscapes to street photography to fast moving animals ( horses and deer, etc. ).

I have some pretty decent lenses so the cameras mentioned above will be fine with any of them. The two EF-S lenses I own will be sold and replaced with EF lenses.

What would be the best choice of camera and why?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2012 10:20PM
Two things that I was very impressed with, when I owned a 1d mk2n, was tha AF speed, and also the waterproofing/weather resistance it had.
I got caught out in heavy rain with it once for over 2 hours, with a 400mm F5.6L lens attached, and pretty much no shelter -
it didn't show any signs whatsoever of malfuction due to the weather that it was exposed to, whilst I continued shooting.
Once home, I put it in the airing cupboard where it stayed overnight, and was dry and ready for use the next day.
The 1D's also have superb battery life, which always helps too.

Whilst I now use a 5d mk2, I have very little idea about the versatility of the 5D mk3,
but will be interested to see any of the comments you get about which body is recommended for your needs.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2012 10:29PM
I would go for the 5DIII - the AF is up to 1D(s) standards so will do you well for action and it is smaller and lighter. The 1D models are now really for pros who need a very rugged build for the abuse they get.
Plus the 5DIII is brand new with all the warranty benefits that brings.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2012 11:01PM

Quote: The 1D models are now really for pros who need a very rugged build for the abuse they get.

The 5d 's are just the same build quality as the 1ds so no comparison there really.

I would be inclined to go for the 5d mark iii for it's new technology over the old technology of the id's, I would say it will be a lot lighter and more in the area of photography you are after.
Full frame always wins the day with me, I love my canon 5d mark ii for landscapes and portraits and want very much to upgrade to the new 5d mark iii for wild life as well.

If i had the choice i would go for the 5d mark iii
_ 9 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
13 Oct 2012 11:34PM
I own all the models you are talking about, and without hesitation I would say 5Diii. The only camera that is better than it in terms of AF and drive speed is the 1Dx, but even then the AF of the x is not much ahead of the 5Diii.
The 1Dsiii is a fecking joke as far as AF ability goes, it rarely locks on to a subject for more than 4 frames before going onto something else. It is old tech nowadays, but is still capable of producing sumptuous files, but not as good as the 5D3's
The Mkiv is a well capable camera that delivers the goods time and time again, it loses a little ground to the 1Dx in AF ability, but not as much as was touted when the first reviews came out. and it is about a stop worse in noise control throughout if you are shooting in RAW and about two stops in Jpeg against the 1Dx.
I've been using 1.3x sensors for ten years now and they really do have their place in the world of sport, where we are being pushed ever further away from the action. I didn't really think too much about it until I started using the 1Dx's and now I'm seriously thinking of getting a 500 instead of my trusty 400.
I love my 1Dx's but I find the 5D3 files are a big magnet when it comes to picking up a body for general use and not for work. For landscapes it is fantastic and for low light, nightclub kind of stuff it is great and a lot more discreet than any 1 series body
Paintman e2
8 876 173 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 12:32PM
I thought the 5D mk III would be best for what I need, but it's interesting getting your views on each camera. New technology wins over old, even if the other cameras were around the 5000- 8000 mark when they were first released. Makes the 5D mk III quite a 'bargain' relatively speakingSmile
_ 9 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
14 Oct 2012 2:05PM
If you were doing sport as a main subject I would have had no hesitation in saying get the Mkiv. Consider that you can get two Mkiv's for the price of one 1D x and the difference in quality is hardly noticeable, especially when you consider that most images will be on newsprint
adyj 6 30 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 3:42PM
Has to be the 5D mkIII for its image quality, low light performance and now improved AF.

According to Canon's Director and Chief Executive of Image Communication Products & Operations, Masaya Maeda, the 1Ds mkIII is outperformed in terms of IQ even by the 5D mkII. Back in 2008 at Photokina, he outlined the "robust durability and long shutter life" of the 1Ds as the primary benefits over the 5D.

Quote:However, when it comes to image quality itself; because of the constant digital technology developments in this industry, it's always the latest camera that is best. So things like ISO expansion range and dynamic range are in a sense better in the 5D Mark II. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0810/08100302_canoninterview.asp
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
4 Nov 2012 5:08PM
5d3, with the price is now less than 2k. No brainier.
Though I am not sure if this person is having a laugh lol
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 5:36PM

Quote:5d3, with the price is now less than 2k. No brainier.
Though I am not sure if this person is having a laugh lol

Where are the 5D mk3's less than 2K Cole?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
4 Nov 2012 5:43PM
eBay and Panamoz. People in another photography forum swear by Panamoz.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 5:52PM
Thanks Cole.
Paintman e2
8 876 173 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 7:56PM
Just an update on which camera I chose.

I hate cars and economics! Due to my car going norks up I have now bought a 7D and I'm looking for another car. I still haven't been able to really try out the 7D but it seems OK and a decent upgrade from the 40D. Thanks to those who gave their advice above. The 5D mkIII will have to wait I'm afraid.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.