Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

5D Mk2 - its a different battery!

12 Mar 2009 1:27PM
Its just arrived and its beautiful. Put the battery on to charge, got a freshly charged one as used for the 5D. IT DOESN'T FIT. It is so similar in shape and size, why couldn't it take the same battery as the 5D - or is it because having already sold my kids to pay for it, Canon now want me to sell the dog as well to pay for a spare battery?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BurntOut e2
8 321 2 England
12 Mar 2009 1:41PM

Quote:sold my kids to pay for it

If I'd realised you could do that, I'd have bought one.

Is it too late?
Tandberg e2
11 1.2k 2 England
12 Mar 2009 1:41PM
Yep that right
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 2:24PM
Along with the battery grip I believe too... should you want one.

Most of the reviews I have read have commented on this.
stevemelvin e2
9 675 2 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 2:59PM
Apparently the reason is that Canon expect users to be using Live View a lot, which uses more battery power. But then again the old battery is used on plenty of Live View cameras already, so whether you believe this or not is up to you!

The new battery does have some neat new features though, e.g. precision over how much power is left, remembering the number of shots taken with each battery, etc.

PS I like the way you sold your kids before selling your dog! Smile
XxPaulxX e2
8 260 England
12 Mar 2009 3:04PM
Excellent decision to part with the kids, I'm sure they will be happy anyway and now so will you Grin For goodness sake though, keep the dog. I hear the battery life on the 5d mk11 is pretty good, so should keep until you can produce another child to sell, sell a kidney or win the lottery Grin

Enjoy your new toy Smile
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
12 Mar 2009 3:23PM
I thought one of the reasons for the new battery is that the new one can display more detailed information on charge level, etc.
12 Mar 2009 4:19PM
The battery information does look very useful - I've now realised Photoshop requires a different RAW plug in, and the adobe download which supports it is not compatible with CS2. Looks like my Granny will have to go too, to buy an upgrade!
MadTrace e2
10 268 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 4:23PM
LOL, I couldnt afford the spare grip or battery but have been massively impressed with the life I get of just one battery on the MKII
User_Removed 8 398 6 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 4:56PM
Yep - youve found out the hard way!!! I ordered a MkII then cancelled it when I found this out - I was in no rush to upgrade from MkI anyway
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 5:11PM
Just use DPP to process the RAW files from your 1D MKII, its better than the Adobe RAW plug in and free.
brianquinn e2
7 243 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 5:16PM
Don't bother selling things for a MK 11 spare battery - they don't exist, they're just an urban myth.
B.
JGJ e2
8 68 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 6:21PM
DPP Ver 3.5.1.0 has been around for a while, and as bundled with the Mk2, is very good piece of software and very user friendly. Cheaper than CS4 too!
gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
12 Mar 2009 7:43PM
Wait till you see how good the battery life is and you may change your mind. - gary
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2009 7:46PM
I wouldn't fret too much - you can't buy spare batteries for the MkII for love nor money. They are not in stock. There's a shortage worldwide, but especially in the UK.

You will get loads of images from a single charge, and the new battery is better in cold conditions too. Unless you are very shutter happy, you will be fine.

It is a good idea to do your homework before buying the camera. The new battery and the issues with Photoshop support were both well publicised before the MkII hit the shops. You can also use the DNG converter to convert your raw files into a format that is compatible with CS2, Adobe have provided that facility for those who cannot justify upgrading their copy of Photoshop.

The change of the battery isn't a reason to not buy the MkII if it really is the camera for you. Compared to the cost of the camera, a couple of new batteries are neither here nor there. They cost less than some folk spend on booze and/or nicotine in a week!

Jo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.