Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

5d mkii or 5d mkiii?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Munro
Munro  639 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2012 - 4:17 PM

I am considering adding a full frame body to my kit (currently using 7d). Whilst the 5d mk3 is appealing on paper, the current price is prohibitive. I am not looking to use the new body for weddings or ultra low light shots, or to print to A2 and was wondering if I would be equally well served by the mk 2?

Although the improved focussing would be nice the extra cost, ie x2 seems excessive.

Before anyone steps in and says "Nikon D800", yes this would be nice but I am too far into Canon's lenses to jump ship.

All views welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jun 2012 - 4:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82332 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 4:34 PM

Your 7D has good AF function doesn't it?

I have the 5DMkII and love it. Yeah sure it has its limitations, but to be honest I don't find these too prohibitive for the uses I have. Whilst I like some aspects of the 5D Mk3 I don't think the changes (I am aware of) come close to justifying the price tag - especially when compared to the competition currently (and before someone jumps down my throat (again) I know there are very few bad cameras out there and that the number of megapixels are not everything).

User_Removed
17 Jun 2012 - 5:00 PM

Quote: I know there are very few bad cameras out there and that the number of megapixels are not everything

Absolutely 'right on the money' statement.

ourdayphotos
17 Jun 2012 - 5:17 PM

5D MkII is a fantastic affordable FF camera & I've not found it limiting unless you compare FPS with the 7D.

puertouk
puertouk  31076 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 6:21 PM

I've just purchased the 5D MKII and it's a great camera. If the majority of your photography is landscape and portrait, you can't go wrong. Great price compared to the the MKIII and as you say, how can you justify twice the price!
Stephen

MrGoatsmilk
17 Jun 2012 - 6:49 PM

I've not long got myself a 5D MkII things I've noticed are

Slow auto focus and no second curtain unless you use a Canon flash controller, the good far outweighs the bad and for most those things don't matter.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 7:13 PM

I'd hang fire and wait until the Photokina show takes place in September as it's believed Canon will be making new announcements on a new model line up them. In the pipeline are 3 new EOS bodies:- 7D Mark II to be full frame, a new 70D, a new mirrorless camera? Oh and I believe the new EOS-1D X is being released in Japan on the 20th of this month......

Ade

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9171 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 9:37 PM

I am fortunate in having both a 5D Mk2 and a Mk3.

Both are brilliant camera's but undoubtably the Mk2 constitutes best value for money. The MK3 is a better camera in a number of respects (low light, noise, buffer rate, much better auto-focusing ability, inbuilt HDR functionality, etc) but it is nowhere near twice-as-good, as the price tag would suggest.

Truth is that the MK2, at the moment does things that the MK3 doesn't. These include not being able to attain higher sych speeds greater than 1/200 with the Pocket Wizards TT1/TT5's or allow tethered shooting with Lightroom, although both issues are awaiting fixes by PW and Adobe respectively and will undoubtably be resolved.

My suggestion would be that, if you need another camera NOW go for the MK2. If you can afford to wait until the Mk3 drops in price and becomes easily available do so instead.

Please note that I have been advised by a number of people "in the know" that whist both camera's share the 5D name and look similar they are in fact two very differerent camera's, hence the reason for Canon still marketing both models.

I hopes this helps.
Roy

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 9:55 PM

I wonder if Canon will do an update to the 5D II and launch it as the 7D II. All they would need to do is add the 7D AF module and the wireless flash commander to the 5D II with the latest digic core to make it a brilliant buy, well that is my view. Smile

No need to add on-camera flash or faster frame rate or more video gubbins, or any other attributes, and sell it for under 2,000

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2012 - 12:11 AM

I have the 7d and 5D mark ii and love it, i don't see any limitations to be fair, i have used it for wild life, portraits, weddings, flash photography, macro, landscapes and sea scapes and produced more than adequate images from all aspects of photography.

I personally highly recommend it, saying that if I had money to burn I would buy the 5d mark iii .

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2012 - 3:41 AM

Quote: No need to add on-camera flash or faster frame rate or more video gubbins, or any other attributes, and sell it for under 2,000

Well, 5d3 is under 2k in south east Asia, where I am in at the moment......Wink

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2012 - 1:21 PM

Hi Cole how many can you fit into your luggage and remember the 20% VAT on return.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53651 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2012 - 2:09 PM

Quote: I'd hang fire and wait until the Photokina show takes place in September as it's believed Canon will be making new announcements on a new model line up them. In the pipeline are 3 new EOS bodies:- 7D Mark II to be full frame, a new 70D, a new mirrorless camera? Oh and I believe the new EOS-1D X is being released in Japan on the 20th of this month......
Ade

I'd say something similar as well.
I'd love a FF for its studio work capability and really hope the rumours are true and that's its an affordable by the end of the year. If not then a MK2 would be an option.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2012 - 2:48 PM

I know many might not agree, John, but I can't understand why we have to pay 1k extra in the uk.

User_Removed
18 Jun 2012 - 3:25 PM

Quote:

Before anyone steps in and says "Nikon D800", yes this would be nice but I am too far into Canon's lenses to jump ship.

OK - I won't say it. I will merely commiserate with your plight and comfort you by saying that a lot of other people made the same mistake.

Grin Sad Smile Tongue Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.