Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

5th Annual Xmas meeting at the British Wildlife Centre

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Foxfire
Foxfire  10322 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 - 9:39 AM

i have never had a successful shot through the fences at the foxes even with a 300mm lens.

the photographic days are sooooooooo expensive and someone told me who splashed out to one - it is not worth it -.

that said, I have been to the BWC with EPZ a few years ago and it was great fun - really nice people

PS - i am member of the BWC

Last Modified By Foxfire at 23 Nov 2008 - 9:41 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Nov 2008 - 9:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10577 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 12:27 PM

As I said before I have taken all my images through the fences and I would say my images of the foxes are pretty reasonable, maybe you need to improve your technique CJ or come along and I will give you some help.

alben
alben  12142 forum posts England
23 Nov 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hi Terry please put me down as attending It may be two on the day but i will let you know also I would love to come along for the meal before the long drive home,could not have the meal last year as a family member was very ill.Looking forward to meeting up with you all soon.
Alan

Best wishes to you and Sharon for Xmas.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 12:48 PM

darn I would love to go, but I have a strong feeling that I will be in the wrong area of the country for this Sad
As for photos through the fence its tricky - best thing is to get right up close to the fence (so your lenshood is touching it) and make sure your looking through a gap -then zoom in. That should work most of the time, the trick is that you can't turn the camera too much to either side like this, otherwise the bars start to really affect. Also sometimes in editing selectivly boosting contrast can help remove the apperance of bars.

The BWC is good as you can get right up to the bars, most zoos have a barrier before the wire and bars (usually a good foot away) so that you can't get your lens right up - then its a pain since you need the subject to move very far back into the pen (which means longer focal length desirable) and then there isoften the chance that furtherback means the cage appears in the background

Foxfire
Foxfire  10322 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 - 2:40 PM

Quote: As I said before I have taken all my images through the fences and I would say my images of the foxes are pretty reasonable, maybe you need to improve your technique CJ or come along and I will give you some help.

Nothing like some real good sarcasm to make friends eh.

If they are all as unfriendly as you attending, I shall not bother

Last Modified By Foxfire at 23 Nov 2008 - 2:42 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 3:00 PM

I think CJ you probably don't know Terry, I doubt he was being sarcastic. There is an "art" to taking images through fencing and I am sure Terry would genuinely help you or another member in this aspect of photography.

You couldn't really meet more friendly people than Terry and Sharon, a shame if you decide to miss out on one of the great ePZ meets and traditions because you have read into a comment something that I seriously doubt was there or intended.

Bit too far for me Terry, unless someone invents teleporting in the next month Grin

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 - 3:09 PM

Quote: Bit too far for me Terry, unless someone invents teleporting in the next month

Get TIM to issue you a Jaunting Belt! (One for the old timers, there...) Wink

Last Modified By dwilkin at 23 Nov 2008 - 3:10 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 3:26 PM

I too had concerns about the wire fence... but the advantage of a digital camera is that the "Experts", some of whom have contributed to this thread, can take a shot and show you the results on the back of camera "TV" screen Wink

I duly took a couple of frames... no problems with the fence just everything else was rubbish Sad

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 5:25 PM

Quote: that said, I have been to the BWC with EPZ a few years ago and it was great fun - really nice people

Quote: If they are all as unfriendly as you attending, I shall not bother

Same venue
Same folks

What could have changed?

Adrian

Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10577 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 5:56 PM

Thank you Cheryl and Adrian, CJ there is no sarcasm in my previous post. Lots of people manage to get decent images through the fence, therefore if you are not, then you are doing something wrong. I did say come along and I will help you......now where is the unfriendly in that?

It will be good to see you again Alan and look forward to the meal afterward, always a pleasant event.

Cheryl, shame you can't make it.....the teleporter design prototype won't be ready till the New Year.

Jeff will you be popping in for a couple of hours as usual?

Regards to all
Terry

Last Modified By Terry L at 23 Nov 2008 - 5:58 PM
csurry
23 Nov 2008 - 6:09 PM

Ah well maybe next year then or for Darren, maybe Tomorrow Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 6:13 PM

Terry,
Yes I do intend to pop along to support my "local" epz meet, have a chat etc.
Currently with no family commitments in the evening I've pencilled in the meal afterwards as well, however this may change, but hopefully not.

Jeff

Terry L
23 Nov 2008 - 6:22 PM

Jeff look forward to seeing you and it would be good if you can make the evening meal.

Cheryl, showing your age there with the Tomorrow People, one of Martin Clunes first TV outings I believe.

John (Fishiee) sorry I missed your post, it will be good to finally have you along.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2008 - 6:28 PM

Norway for seagull is not too far then.... :-p
LOL....

csurry
23 Nov 2008 - 7:02 PM

Quote: Norway for seagull is not too far then....
LOL....

A holiday is a lot different from a day trip don't you think? Ah wait answered my own question! Tongue Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.