Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

60D or 650D and why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Johns_Furtogruhfee

i'm in two minds and would like to have some of you who might have one of each to chat about why you got one and not the other... ultimatly to see which one is best.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Nov 2012 - 8:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alistairfarrugia
alistairfarrugia Critique Team 2164 forum posts Malta88 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 8:53 PM

Are you in a position to try both? Consider watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYP1FfTNY3o

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 9:06 PM

60D

2 wheels

alistairfarrugia
alistairfarrugia Critique Team 2164 forum posts Malta88 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 9:17 PM

John, it also depends on what you're after though. I'm no expert on either, but I own the 600D which is quite similar, size-wise, to the 650D. If there's one thing that I can tell you for sure is that the 600D feels "small" in your hands, so you might want to consider getting a battery grip right away along with it to make it a tad more chunky. Feature-wise, they're quite close but the 650D's got a better processor (digic 5), but the 60D does indeed have 2 wheels not 1 like the 650D, plus a screen on top and a naturally bigger (and probably more comfortable) grip.

As I said though, depends what you're after and what you're used to. Check that video, might help you. Smile

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
11 Nov 2012 - 10:17 PM

Although the 650D has the digic 5 processor, I was told this upgrade was really for video.
For taking photographs there isn't a difference between the 550D, 600D, & 650D (that said I think the ISO range for the 650 may be higher).
Cue torrent of emails correcting meWink
I don't know why you've narrowed your choice to these two, Guessing price and you've already got Canon lenses, etc.
Have you tried the two camera's and compared spec's?
I would spend some time playing with both camera's, take pictures with different settings and get use to the menu's and functions, etc.
Find out which feels best for you not for us!!!!!!!

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 11:00 AM

650D for: smaller size so you are more likely to take it with you, cheaper so you can spend more money on good glass
60D: better AF system, dual wheel controls (v buttons on the 650D), top plate LCD, more rugged build (but this is unlikely to be significant in normal use), brighter vewfinder

The deal breaker for me for the xxD v the xxxD is the dual-wheels and better AF.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
12 Nov 2012 - 3:47 PM

I had a 600d for 6 months. I found it to be too small, I missed the top plate screen and buttons and the 2 wheel control system. This was after owning a 40D and 7D( big mistake selling this!)
I would go for the 60D!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 4:04 PM

650D - Super new sensor, but small & no top LCD
60D - Super LCD and 2 dial control, pretty good sensor but a tad old now.

Rumoured 7D mk2, Super dooper new sensor, dials, LCD's, fps speed but price to match.

Result - Get a 2nd hand 60D and spend your spare dosh on lenses, then see what's really released and when - might be a month, a year or never.

if you have 2000 - the 6D?

(I started on the 400D, now 60D, Next - maybe the 6D once the price drops a bit?)

mikehit
12 Nov 2012 - 4:11 PM

I thought the 650D is the same sensor as the 60D/7D?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 6:21 PM

60D for fps. I had the other, and it is just too slow if you need continuous drive at times. I agree with the suggestion for a used 60D, or a factory demo.

Denny

User_Removed
12 Nov 2012 - 10:18 PM

Quote: I thought the 650D is the same sensor as the 60D/7D?

Same sensor but the 7D has a dual digic4 processor so MUCH faster. If size matters and you want a smaller body, go for the 650 or as mentioned above, wait for a price drop on the lighter full farme 6D

Johns_Furtogruhfee

Thanks all, it helps out a lot.
I've been looking at the 60D as i have quite big hands and suffer a lot with small camera's, From pains in my hands...
I've brought some good glass and am now happy with that, however my 400D is on its way out, so spoke to a friend of mine and he was getting the 650D instead of the 60D as he said it was better... (Not Convinced) so thought i'd ask all you guys on here. I like the size of the 60D and like the Top Plate LCD also, i'm just debating as the 650D near on joins the 60D Body only in price.
I'd go for the 7D if i had the extra 500 on top of the rest lol.
Just can't seem to get past the 650 mark.

mikehit
24 Nov 2012 - 4:20 PM

The 650D is an excellent camera: the 650D, 60D and 7D all share the same sensor so it comes down to what functions you want/like.
Larger hands would prefer the 60D/7D. For compactness the 650D, and the 650D AF matched the 60D.

I think you just need to go to a shop and handle them.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2012 - 10:12 PM

As well as that top plate the 2nd control dial on the 60D is very good. Now i'm used to the 60D the xxxD range seem very small.

User_Removed
25 Nov 2012 - 4:59 PM

Quote: As well as that top plate the 2nd control dial on the 60D is very good. Now i'm used to the 60D the xxxD range seem very small.

Agree with you here, it's nice to operate the 2nd control dial without taking your eye away to see where the buttons are on an xxxD camera.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.