Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

650d owner

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    daveathome
    25 Nov 2012 - 5:08 PM

Hello all
    I am new here and have bought a 650d and was wondering what lens (not too dear!) to get for it. It came with a 18-55mm and I was looking at the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens. Any better ideas from anyone? I just take general shots and like doing things like zoom burst ( I think thats the technique name where you zoom the lens while pressing the shutter release on a slow timer???) and some outdoor shots too. Is Tamron ok because the Canon one (50-250 I think) is very expensive. Thanks for any help you can give!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Nov 2012 - 5:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

capto
    capto e2 Member 21000 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Nov 2012 - 6:55 PM

The 18-55mm kit lens is a hell of a lot better than many will admit, it's pretty good for close ups too and with the 650d you can crop quite heavily.
    I have the 650 and know have worked up to the 15-85mm & 70-300mmL both well worth the money. My advice would be not to rush and buy new lenses just on price ,wait until you can buy quality lenses. In the mean time explore and enjoy the 18-55. When it comes to lenses unfortunately you really do get what you pay for.

ivor

Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 2115 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    25 Nov 2012 - 9:05 PM

Hi Dave,

I have used this lens in the past.
    Capto gave good advice, stick with the kit lens and when it doesn't do what you want or when you need something extra from the lens you're using, make a mental note, hopefully with that information you're make the right purchase.
    It's easy to get drawn into the 300mm lens for 125 what a bargain mindset.
    The lens can be slow to focus, especially in poor light or tracking fast moving objects, also it gets soft at the higher end IMHO.
    I have no idea what your budget is but I've borrowed the Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD which I like and will probably buy to use when travelling/on holiday.

daveathome
    26 Nov 2012 - 9:03 PM

Thanks to all of you for the helpful answers. I do think photography is one of those "gadget type hobbies" IF you let it! I will continue to learn with my kit lens although the 18-270 is looking like a good Christmas list present! There really is a helluva lot to learn with these dslr cameras in comparison to my om10 slur 25 years ago so it's back to the manual for me and thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    Dave

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2012 - 10:09 PM

Quote: There really is a helluva lot to learn with these dslr cameras in comparison to my om10 slur 25 years ago

Stick with the basics you learn t with the SLR for exposure and focussing.

Its so tempting confronted with more lenses you can shake a stick at ending up with maybe a wide angle and a long lens that you will use. You have the 18-55 leaving something from around 50-200 but the chances are the former will be used the most.

The big difference with digital is the post processing where you are in the front seat.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:54 PM

Quote: Stick with the basics you learnt with the SLR for exposure and focussing
    The big difference with digital is the post processing where you are in the front seat

Very true, but there is also the bit in-between; understanding all the different settings that are available on the camera, such as white balance, picture style etc which weren't around with film cameras. These take some time to get to grips with.

I would agree with sticking with the 18-55 lens for general use initially; when you find situations where this lens can't cope then look for extra glass. No point in buying a telephoto lens if you don't do wildlife work, or a macro lens if you don't do close-ups.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:44 PM

Good advice above. I would add; learn how to use the histogram to help you fine tune your exposures, it takes some of the guesswork out of the process. There shold be some excellent tutorials on here.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.