Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

70 - 200 f2.8 lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 10:19 AM

Has anybody experienced either of the following lenses, or better still has anybody been able to make a comparison?

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - v - Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 SP Di

Many thanks

Frank

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2012 - 10:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Aug 2012 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - v - Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 SP Di

Googling that gives pages of results.

Focus_Man
6 Aug 2012 - 11:15 AM

I wondered if any EPZ members had any experiences of these lenses.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82286 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have the non OS version of the sigma. It's certainly sharp, but bloody heavy - often meaning I need to crank up the shutter speed (and ISO) to get the results I'm after - or use a tripod. I should imagine the OS version is considerably worse in this regard.

JohnParminter

I also have the non IS version of the Sigma. A heavy lens but nice and sharp however, I have had nothing but trouble with its focusing operation. It developed a fault soon after purchase and was sent back to get fixed, it wasn't corrected so sent back again and Sigma changed the HSM and it worked for a while but again is not functioning correctly but out of warranty now. I now have the choice to manually focus it, get it repaired or not use it. I'm reluctant to get it repaired as it hasn't worked on two previous occasions so I tend not to use it, either way it has been a costly choice for me choosing this particular lens I think. My other two Sigmas lenses have worked flawlessly though. I think I was very unlucky with my particular lens and I have to say that Sigma weren't the best to deal with in my attempt to get it fixed. It cost me the postage each time, they took ages and were hard to correspond with and they didn't actually rectify the problem. I know I should have been much more demanding on their part to sort it out but I became demoralised.
Ordinarily I'd recommend Sigma lenses but my experience may galvanise your final choice.

JP

Focus_Man
6 Aug 2012 - 1:37 PM

Thanks gentlemen, I realise it is heavy and I am sorry for your problems John, how do the lens work on the follow focus settings?

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82286 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 3:39 PM

Quote: how do the lens work on the follow focus settings?

Do you mean for tracking moving objects?

I can't comment - I have a 5DMkII and do very little of this kind of work. The extra light wide open will help, but it needs pairing with a good body. Preferably one with lots of cross type focusing sensors.

Adam

Focus_Man
6 Aug 2012 - 4:50 PM

Yes the focus setting on Nikons called AF-C

I am sort of leaning towards the Sigma based on reviews but I just wondered if any members had experiences, good or bad and if all the features of Nikon bodies worked successfully.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 5:26 PM

take a look here might help Wink

gingerdougie
6 Aug 2012 - 5:34 PM

I have a Tamron which I use to photograph rugby matches and grand children, two strangely similar activities! Iwish I could afford a Nikon 70-200 but I couldn't.The Tamron lens is very good, quick focussing and sharp and when compared to the Nikon relatively cheap!

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 10:12 PM

i had the Sigma and it was rubbish.... nothing but problems, sent back to sigma twice, then gave up , sold it, and bought the nikon vr mk2..... should have gone for that one in the first place, as will never get rid of it now i have it..... ULTRA sharp, and well built, and compared to the sharpness of the sigma, well, it makes the sigma look like the thing had clingfilm over the element. Smile My own opinion though, and i know that alot of people like the sigma..... but wonder how many of them have compared it to the nikon version for a day? or even, as i did, for an hour around the shop.

Last Modified By BigRick at 6 Aug 2012 - 10:13 PM
tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 - 12:22 AM

I had the sigma and can't recommend it enough, very sharp, the downside is it's weight, i never use auto focus so don't know about hsm's and such.

Terry.

jimthistle73
7 Aug 2012 - 1:40 AM

I used the Nikon 80-200 for a good few years (the twist ring zoom, not the push-pull) and would happily go back to it before buying either of the two lenses above ^^^. For the record though, I now use the Nikon VRII 70-200 and it's just brilliant.

Bluke
Bluke  9303 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 7:13 AM

Buy the best lenses and you won't have to buy any more for years....Yes I know money is tight all round now days but if you buy a lens you are not happy with your buy you will only buy another next year....Sad
My 4 best buys 105mm macro.., 50mm 1-4.., 24-70mm 2.8 ... 70-200mm 2.8 all Nikon....for what I do I don't need any more....
Good luck..

Last Modified By Bluke at 7 Aug 2012 - 7:15 AM
User_Removed
7 Aug 2012 - 7:38 AM

I agree, also the best lenses keep their value much better.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.