Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

70-200mm lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

shreel
shreel  4 India1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 4:31 AM

i am on a low budget and would like to buy a 70-200mm lens.i have shortlisted 2 lenses the tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and the canon 70-200mm f/4 non IS lens.The lens is not meant for any specific purpose. which one would you suggest? Are both the lenses sharp open wide??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Apr 2012 - 4:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014803 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 6:13 AM

The Canon 70-200mm f4.0L is legendary for its sharpness and contrast. I would recommend it, about $550.00 on Ebay.

george-dan
27 Apr 2012 - 6:25 AM

if you can try for a second hand Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS much better Wink

shreel
27 Apr 2012 - 6:48 AM

Quote: If you can try for a second hand Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS much better Wink

Is there any difference in sharpness between the two?

MrGoatsmilk
27 Apr 2012 - 7:07 AM

I have a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 non OS and I am extremely pleased with it. Got is used although it's like its brand new in every way.

A friend who I assist at Weddings uses a Tamron 70-200 2.8 she is very happy with that too.

The Sigma seems to have the better build quality of the two I mention.

shreel
27 Apr 2012 - 7:24 AM

ok thanx for the information, but where i stay sigma has a very poor resale value. do you have any idea which one is sharper tamron f/2.8 @ f/4 or canon f/4 @ f/4???

MrGoatsmilk
27 Apr 2012 - 8:00 AM

Depends on how much you pay, buy second hand you don't lose anything. The last lens I sold my Sigma 50-500 I sold for exactly the same I paid for it Smile

The Canon is bound to be sharper but I have not tried the Canon personally.

I have seen my Sigma v the Tamron on the same 5DMkII body and the Sigma came out sharper.

There a Youtube Digital Rev video on the Sigma v Canon, Canon comes out better as you would expect at the price difference.

MrGoatsmilk
27 Apr 2012 - 8:01 AM

Quote: Ok thanx for the information, but where i stay sigma has a very poor resale value. do you have any idea which one is sharper tamron f/2.8 @ f/4 or canon f/4 @ f/4???

As they resell at a low price where you are, could you not pick up a used bargain then?

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 9:02 AM

i would take a 2.8 lens over an f4 anytime, more light to the sensor helps your af and also allows you to add a convertor to give you extra reach at a constant f4. The sigma 70-200mm 2.8 is heavy, all metal built like a tank not cheap plastic, great tripod mount and works great with sigmas 1.4 tc. I used one on my d200 for a few years, i found wide open it was a little soft, 2 mins of pp and it was spot on, at f3.2 it was sharp, but sold it in the end to get the 120-300mm 2.8.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 27 Apr 2012 - 9:08 AM
sut68
sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 9:12 AM

Being an owner and also having tried a couple of other Sigma 70-200mm EX zooms I would say you need to try before you buy.

I bought mine at a great price from ebay, but at f2.8 it's pretty much unusable commercially. At f4 it's fine and sharp through the range thereon. Others I have tried have been razor sharp to average at 2.8 ... quality control isn't quite as exacting at Sigma as it is at Canon ... can't speak for Tamron though.

My good lady wife has the Canon f4 [non IS] and it's a little belter ... I remember Adam Burton telling me that it was the sharpest lens he owned ... and that collection included some other rather nice 'L' glass too.

If you stretch to getting the IS version of the f4 then I'm sure that would be a great solution.

george-dan
27 Apr 2012 - 4:17 PM

Quote: If you can try for a second hand Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS much better Wink Is there any difference in sharpness between the two?

yes !! see here and here

robs
robs  11660 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 5:30 PM

The non-IS 70-200 f4L is a cracking wee lens, I would absolutely go for one of them.

Mine is probably listed on MBP in the used section by now and I can vouch that it is a damn fine specimen!

shreel
30 Apr 2012 - 12:56 AM

Quote: Being an owner and also having tried a couple of other Sigma 70-200mm EX zooms I would say you need to try before you buy.

I bought mine at a great price from ebay, but at f2.8 it's pretty much unusable commercially. At f4 it's fine and sharp through the range thereon. Others I have tried have been razor sharp to average at 2.8 ... quality control isn't quite as exacting at Sigma as it is at Canon ... can't speak for Tamron though.

My good lady wife has the Canon f4 [non IS] and it's a little belter ... I remember Adam Burton telling me that it was the sharpest lens he owned ... and that collection included some other rather nice 'L' glass too.

If you stretch to getting the IS version of the f4 then I'm sure that would be a great solution.

i am not saying that i can stretch up for the f/4 IS version of canon, but even if i did the dilemma still continues because the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS is almost equally priced.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 - 2:53 AM

I used to have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 till i dropped it in the sand at the beach one day, it was blisteringly sharp and i loved using it although is was a tad heavy to lug around, i now use the Canon 70-200 f4 since i couldn't afford another sigma version, i am sooo pleased with it, amazingly sharp and a good deal lighter than the sigma, i never shoot wide open so f4 is good for me and i saved a bundle ($300).

Terry.

shreel
30 Apr 2012 - 6:55 AM

Quote: I used to have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 till i dropped it in the sand at the beach one day, it was blisteringly sharp and i loved using it although is was a tad heavy to lug around, i now use the Canon 70-200 f4 since i couldn't afford another sigma version, i am sooo pleased with it, amazingly sharp and a good deal lighter than the sigma, i never shoot wide open so f4 is good for me and i saved a bundle ($300).

Terry.

how is the canon shooting wide open??

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.