Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

777mm filter choice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 8:38 PM

I'm running with the 24-105mm Canon lens shortly and would like a filter or two. I see many use (I think it is called a UV) a filter for protection and indeed a tinted or polaricing filter. Prices seem to vary hugely and the cost of a brand new 24-105 is going to wipe me out, so will be on a budget. Looking over on eBay I see a myriad of choices from Hoya Cockin to names I've never heard of.

So would those two be a good choice for this lens and do I really need to pay so much or would more inexpensive ones be OK?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2012 - 8:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
10 Dec 2012 - 9:08 PM

UV filter will soften the image no matter the cost, cheaper ones probably more so. I don't use UV filters on any of my lenses any more for that reason plus if you think about the process of making a lens is quite an art and plonking a filter on the end of those brand new pristine optics can't be doing it much good.

I always have the lens hood on the lens as that saves it from most knocks.

Stu

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
AndyMurdo
AndyMurdo  831 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 9:22 PM

Hi Mozzy, The UV gives protection & reduces the ultra violet haze (often found hot windless days) in landscape photography, the polariser needs to be of the circular sort if you have autofocus on your camera, but is mainly used to cut reflections, darken skys & increase colour saturation in foilage etc; it also works as a two stop ND filter so reduces light hitting your cameras sensor, the latter not benificial if you need to freeze movement in poor light but a plus if you are trying to get some movement or blur into your picture ie; waterfalls etc. Cokin tend to do rectangular resin filters that need a holder and adaptor ring, but only need a different adaptor ring to use on different lenses, subject to filter size. Screw in filters can also be used on differing lenses via stepping rings but filter size is still an issue, if you wish to do this then get a filter to match your largest lens & step down. So you have two choices, I prefer screw in types for UV & polarisers and Cokin type holder for resin ND graduate filters only, as used to balance exposure in landscape images. with screw filters (glass) aim for multi coated as this helps to cut flair spoiling your photos, Hoya, Kood & Marumi all do a coated range, I find Premier Inks best for price and are available on-line, just google premier for web address, they may be other oo-line retailers like WEX & Park etc;so compare prices first, on the high street only Hoya & Cokin seem to be generally available from the likes of Jessops & LCE, they also web trade.
Hope this helps, good luck
Andy M

richsabre
richsabre  1 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 - 9:25 PM

i use cokin square filter system on my d70. you can look on my profile/website to gauge for youself the quality of these filters but i think they are great for the relatively low price and a great alternative if you dont want to spend hundreds on lee filters.

my advice for landscape would always been go square system...so much better, but if you just want a lens protector or general use i would say just get a hoya uv
you could of course get a polarizer..i recently got a 77mm Kood circ. polarizer for my other camera for about 10 on ebay....very nice filter for the price, but you have to remember it lowers your shutter speed, so for general use perhaps not the best. again it depends on what your taking
rich

Last Modified By richsabre at 10 Dec 2012 - 9:28 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
AndyMurdo
AndyMurdo  831 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 9:29 PM

Just seen Goatsmilk reply, I have known people drop a lens accidentally of course, smash a filter but the lens survived, the hood may protect when on but if you drop your lens when changing or before you have attatched the hood, you will have a broken lens, a lot dearer than your humble filter, it happens so its up to you! Besides no hood can give you ND, polarising or gaduate effects, and most top pro's use them and produce plenty of sharp images.
Andy M,

Last Modified By AndyMurdo at 10 Dec 2012 - 9:30 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MrGoatsmilk
10 Dec 2012 - 10:09 PM

I've got my camera gear covered for accidental damage with the house insurance should the hood not save it, I've not broken anything yet......

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 11:06 PM

Quote: 777mm filter choice

What are you using, a bucket.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 12:50 AM

Quote: UV filter will soften the image no matter the cost,

In practical terms if that were so, there would be no debate. But there is debate which leads me to suspect that is not necessarily true. There is certainly a theory behind it that says 'a UV filter cannot improve the image so it can only do harm' but whether it is noticable is a different matter - I have not noticed any 'softening' effects of a protective filter in general conditions (I use Hoya Pro-1D) so will generally keep one on because I am clumsy: and especially on the beach (sand and salt can be very destructive) or in windy conditions where it is easier to clean rain drops and wind-blown crap from a flat filter than a curved lens element. I will often remove the filter for night photography if I notice internal reflections.
If filters are so bad, why does Canon make some L lenses (like the 17-40) that are only are only weather sealed when a filter is fitted?

Basically do whatever you are comfortable with - I would say get a decent one (Hoya are a good price nowadays) for days of crappy weather (and IQ is probably not the best anyway) and try with and without. By the way, UV filters were first developed for film which was sensitive to UV in landscape photgraphy, but DSLRs do not have the same sensitivity - so you can use either a UV filter or a protective filter for the same job.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 6:59 AM

Oh heck, what a typo Paul would be a bit on the large side.Sad THANKS everyone.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 83464 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
11 Dec 2012 - 8:10 AM

Quote: What are you using, a bucket.

... Paul, did you not realize that was a typo ?

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 9:56 AM

Hama is perhaps the best of the cheaper ones. What price you pay depends upon your budget, but a guy who had his own camera shop, stated here many many months ago that the cheaper were very similar in quality to the expensive ones.

Mozzytheboy
11 Dec 2012 - 10:05 AM

That is interesting. As I am still and probably always will be a bumbling amateur at best, as long as I can get the kind of clarity I will use a protector; as I realised when I made this typo My hands had been shaking with arthritic pain, so there IS always an outside chance I might drop it.

Fantastic help and advice from everyone as usual. Thanks don't really go anywhere towards my gratitude, but it is all I can do here.Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 3:51 PM

Quote: Hama is perhaps the best of the cheaper ones

Or Polaroid Smile

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2012 - 4:21 PM

interesting comparison of filters here

Last Modified By andart at 11 Dec 2012 - 4:22 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Mozzytheboy
11 Dec 2012 - 5:12 PM

Thanks Andart, bit disappointing they did not do a budget test. I can't afford 150 for a filter, and nor at my stage should I need such. Big thank you though for the site as I have had a look round and it seems very well written. If I dig deep enough I may even find a budget range review or three.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.