Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

7D - going remote - but which one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2011 - 8:41 PM

Well its time to get a remote for the 7D and so I had a look at the market; almost had a small heart attack when I saw the price canon had on theirs for what is a cable and button setup (seriously at the price they ask I expect a lot more than just a button!)

So I've found the following :
    Remote Switch Cable
    Nothing special with this just your typical button; lock slider and cable. Had a similar design for my 400D and worked well indeed.

Then we have two cable remote options with a wider variety of features - though whilst they appear similar in features there is a significant price difference between the two. Far as I can tell they do the same thing though one has an LCD light and the other does not. Otherwise fairly similar features.
    Digital Timer Remote (EZA-C3)

Maxim - Compatible TC 80N3 LCD Timer Remote

Then for the heck of it I looked at the radio remote options. Now myself I've never had a pressing need for a wireless remote thus far, but I like to choose items that leave me the most possible options when in the field and I can see that going wireless will have its uses in some situations.
    These have, again, a big price difference though it appears that the Hahnel offers the additional feature of time-lapse photo taking (a feature that I think the Pixel is missing though I'm not sure since its description is much more limited).

Pixel Pro Digital Camera 100M Wireless Shutter

Hahnel Giga pro wireless

So that is what I've found thus far in my market (UK) and I'd be interested in hearing if any here have used the above items and if so what their experiences are. Any more details about the units would be good to hear as well as a general idea of which would prove to be the more effective. The Hahnel appears to be the most versatile thus far, though also (not surprisingly) sports the highest price.

The only downside is that most of the reviews seem to hint that they are all a bit fragile so if anyone knows of more durable options that would be great.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Mar 2011 - 8:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2011 - 8:47 PM

Hello Alex

Ive had my RS-80n3 for 3 years now....Ive dropped it....Ive stood on it...and it works flawlessly....If you can spend over 1100 quid on a camera then savings on a remote release are pointless as all the third party ones ultimately fail when you want them to work!!

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2011 - 9:11 PM

Aye I'm not doubting the build quality of the canon; but its feature list is somewhat limited; esp when its price is nearing that of radio wireless options (lets face it cutting down on cables does help at times).

JohnGoodwin
    12 Mar 2011 - 9:28 PM

Hahnel Giga Pro is very well made and made to last. Beats Canons remotes for price and with more features. Canon turn out good quality products but as we all know at very high prices. Many being so expensive no wonder we look at the competion. The lenses and cameras are justifiable prices somewhat. Do they need to charge such high prices for accessories, I think not....

Canon will always be beaten on accessory prices because they do nothing about even trying to bring them into a reasonable range. No they are miles away from reality and offer nothing back. I would myself buy Canon through and through but don't we live in rip off Britian?

Hahnel is excellent quality and offers much more.

AndyLeslie
    12 Mar 2011 - 11:54 PM

I asked about the Phottix version of radio remotes for the 7D at FoI, and got a bloke who told me that they "definitely do one" but couldn't find it in his own literature.

Which is a shame because the one I used with my 40D worked fine, until I gave it a good thorough washing in my jeans pocket.

Just took a look on Amazon, see http://tinyurl.com/62t8h4a as £14.95 isn't bad.

JohnGoodwin
    13 Mar 2011 - 10:14 AM

Try B&H in America, their a good sourse on finding gear. If it's made, they will have it. At least you will get to see it and a discription.

kevspiers
    kevspiers  867 forum posts
    18 Mar 2011 - 8:15 AM

Just got the Canon RC-1
    £25 from Wex, £15ish on ebay (bagged mine fore £12 delivered) Works great it even activates a counter on the top screen for those super long exposures.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    18 Mar 2011 - 3:09 PM

Quote: I asked about the Phottix version of radio remotes for the 7D at FoI, and got a bloke who told me that they "definitely do one" but couldn't find it in his own literature.

Which is a shame because the one I used with my 40D worked fine, until I gave it a good thorough washing in my jeans pocket.

Just took a look on Amazon, see http://tinyurl.com/62t8h4a as £14.95 isn't bad.

According to the specs, the 7d uses the N3 remote fitting, so any trigger for 30d, 40d, 50d should fit. Linkdelight have a range available. I've had a few of their bits over the last couple of years and never had a problem.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.