Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

7D Firmware update.

22 Mar 2013 7:51AM
Just noticed that there is a new update for the Firmware for the 7D - Version 2.0.3 which addresses the following:

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera stops working when the auto power off setting takes effect.

2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the maximum number of images that can be captured in a burst may be less than the actual number displayed in the viewfinder.

3. Corrects some errors in the message displayed on the LCD screen when saving RAW images developed in the camera (these errors do not appear in the Japanese and Korean language displays).

So, is it always wise to run these updates every time? My 7D is already running Version 2.0.0

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 8:09AM
I know of this update and not bothered personally, I don't see the need myself, I also run the 2.0.0 version and am happy with it.
My images are not going to be affected so therefore i do not see the need.
I think that some firmware updates are not worth the trouble and in my opinion this is one of them.
22 Mar 2013 9:08AM
just spoke to canon there site has issue if anyone gotta problem with this download
GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
22 Mar 2013 11:12AM
I updated to this firmware last year, the only physical change for me was the number of shots in the viewfinder it went from 17 to (I think) 26 before it hits the buffer (shooting RAW) which was nice as I shoot wildlife.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
22 Mar 2013 11:28AM
Personally I would always install the latest firmware. It's only going to add improvements which is never a bad thing and it's hardly a major operation, just taking a couple of minutes at most.
22 Mar 2013 1:04PM
So divided views as expected. My only concer ever when "updating" anything to do with computers is that it snarls the whole thing up and you're left with a problem. Also with this particular upgrade, as ianrobinson says, it has very little impact on my photography and as the old saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it, so I think I'lkl give this one a miss for now.
Cheers
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
22 Mar 2013 1:26PM

Quote:as the old saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it, so I think I'lkl give this one a miss for now.

According to a topic you started very recently HERE , I thought it was broke!!!
22 Mar 2013 2:46PM
No, it aint broke, I just couldnt understand why in manual focus I got two very different results between the back screen and the actual image. I still don't understand why this happens other than the back screen image has had a lot of sharpening before being displayed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.