Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

7D firmware update warning.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
glsammy
glsammy  7194 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2012 - 5:56 PM

Yesterday in a moment of madness I update my 7D to the latest firmware, 1.2.5. Since then the camera fails after a few shots with a general ERR message, telling me to remove the battery and re-insert. The camera will then work for a few shots before failing again. This happens whatever lens I'm using so it's definitely a body or firmware fault. As the camera was working perfectly well before the update, it has to be the firmware that's caused the problem.
Just thought I should warn anyone else thinking of updating, to leave well alone!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2012 - 5:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
18 Feb 2012 - 6:03 PM

Contact Canon... Smile

glsammy
18 Feb 2012 - 6:06 PM

Quote: Contact Canon... Smile

I have!Smile Just waiting for their reply.

User_Removed
18 Feb 2012 - 6:14 PM

Grin

bagman
bagman  365 forum posts United States
18 Feb 2012 - 6:20 PM

go to canon site and down load the firm ware you use to have and reinstall untill they fix the new one. i have do this a few times myself in the past.
frank.

Dave_E
Dave_E  6125 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Feb 2012 - 6:21 PM

I think it might be worth trying a reload of the download. I've had the firmware 1.2.5 on my 7D since April 2011 with no problems.

Last Modified By Dave_E at 18 Feb 2012 - 6:26 PM
glsammy
18 Feb 2012 - 6:30 PM

Quote: Go to canon site and down load the firm ware you use to have and reinstall untill they fix the new one. i have do this a few times myself in the past.
frank.

I can't see any other firmware other than the latest one, unless anyone knows better.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2012 - 6:32 PM

yup 1.2.5 on mine since its release too. no problems.

glsammy
18 Feb 2012 - 7:02 PM

Just tried another update. Now it shows as err 30, which is a shutter fault. If it is the shutter, it's the second consecutive camera I've had shutter faults. MY 40D had a new one fitted about 18 months ago. Now it looks like the 7D has gone the same way, only with far fewer shutter actuations.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2012 - 10:25 PM

Nowt wrong with Firmware updates - done them myself in the past, but it is worth checking what the updates areSmile

Never had to update my 1d Mk III at all, thought there are/were updates available

Most of them are to do with language settings and I for one, do not need them

glsammy
18 Feb 2012 - 10:39 PM

It's all a bit strange. I've looked on the Canon forums and I'm not by any means the only user who's had the same problem immediately after a Firmware upgrade.
Until this my camera had never given any signs that the shutter may be on the way out. My 40D did, it often would slow down in use until it eventually stopped completely.
Whatever, it's now packed up ready to be returned for repair.
Not impressed though. Two shutter failures from three Canon cameras isn't something you'd expect.

mondmagu
mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
19 Feb 2012 - 12:46 AM

I work in the motor trade and the old adage 'if it's not broke don't fix it' applies.There are often software updates for ecu's to cure certain irregularities but never download them unless the symptoms for the update are present.
One crucial point is the state of charge of the battery---was your battery fully charged at the time of the download?
May be worth charging and re-trying the download.

Des

ckristoff
ckristoff  9938 forum posts Wales
19 Feb 2012 - 12:28 PM

Friends,

if the firmware update doesn't interest me, I simply ignore it.

Anyways, what's wrong with leaving the camera in exactly the state it left the factory gate?

Frank.

ChasingMomentsPhotography

Sorry to hear you had problems with firmware. I have a 7d and recently did an update - no problems, I used it to update a slight banding issue and the firmware worked well... hope canon helps you soon!

glsammy
1 Mar 2012 - 8:33 PM

Quick update.

Sent the camera to H.Lehmann. New shutter fitted and new PCB. It arrived back today. Me 290 lighter in the wallet.
Only problem is the AF doesn't work!! At first I thought I'd gone bonkers over night and I'd missed something very basic, but no, the AF simply doesn't work whatever lens is fitted or whatever settings are made.
I'm waiting for some postage paid stickers from Lehmann. It'll be back on its way to them to be done correctly. (I hope!)
Not very impressive if they don't check something as basic as the Auto focus..Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.