Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

7d v 5dMk2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

losbarbados
15 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

I'm after a bit of advice really.
I've been looking to upgrade my kit, and with a heavy heart I have decided it's time to join the dark side and jump on the Canikon band wagon.

So I've taken a look around and plump for the Canon side of the equation - I do want to have a spare body as a back up and I can't afford two D3s - so the next question is which is better for me.

I shoot sport, sport, and more sport with the odd foray into the livery yard to take some pictures of the horses at play type thing, so what should I get body wise?

I've heard that the 7d is the better option, but where better to ask than here - where people use the brand.

Thanks for the time and advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 8:46 AM

7d is the correct answer I would say.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73883 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 8:54 AM

Before jumping, take a long hard look. Remember it's not just the camera your changing.

The D3s is full frame - the 7D is a crop sensor. Their are plenty of crop sensor options in the Nikon stable that would give similar performance to the 7D at a fraction of the cost of the D3s.

The 7d ( and all Nikon crop sensor options) won't give you anywhere near the high ISO capabilities of the D3s.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 15 Mar 2012 - 8:59 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56492 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 8:55 AM

Looking at your portfolio, it seems you like the fast-moving sports so on the Canon side, I agree that the 7D is your best bet.
If you are feeling very flush, you can wait until the 5D3 comes out, or buy a second hand 1D model.

Wilco54
Wilco54 e2 Member 2137 forum postsWilco54 vcard Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 9:10 AM

HI, I am confused as to what you are upgrading to or from - it looks like you are proposing to upgrade to either Nikon or Canon from something else, is that right? I guess its teh Olympus that appears on your gallery. My ten cents worth, I like photgraphing events including sports such as motor racing etc and am also into getting better at birds and wildlife so for me the choice was the 7D. I have been disappointed by nothing it does. For sports, the ability to program buttons to spped up use of the camera and the 8fps shooting speed are excellent. I would however like the image quality you get from full frame 5D or 1D for landscape or portrait/still life sort of work. As Nick points out the Nikon's have a better reputation for low noise levels at higher ISOs and that could be useful when shooting deer, birds etc in trees or low light. I have a 450D (also crop sensor) as back up and am going to upgrade that to a second hand 5d, 5D mark II or one of the 1D models once the 1D mark III and 5D mark III are properly released. I read a great comment by someone who has a 7D and 5D , the 7D is is the athlete and the 5D the artist! The other consideration was how much do you need video but all models seem to be getting pretty sophisticated on that front. I have used the 7D's video 3 times!

Last Modified By Wilco54 at 15 Mar 2012 - 9:13 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73883 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 9:16 AM

As you are using Nikon at the moment, how about the Nikon 7000 as a back up its specs are very similar to the 7D, yes more expensive but you wouldn't have to replace all your lenses.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 9:20 AM

He is using Olympus E-620, Nick...Smile

losbarbados
15 Mar 2012 - 9:29 AM

I'm using Olympus at the moment, so there is little future proofing. It seems that Oly are moving along the m4/3 route rather than the DSLR, so I will need to change eventually with a huge leap. I'm in a position to make the leap now and was looking at getting an E5, but the more I think about it the more I think I am putting off the inevitable (much that I admire my Oly) so now seems as good a time as any.

I've always carried two bodies with me - since I had the shutter button lock on me once mid game - so would be looking at buying two bodies, and I don't have the budget to buy two 1Ds or D3 and replacement lenses.

Nick_w
15 Mar 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: He is using Olympus E-620, Nick...Smile

Ahh user it was just the mention of D3s in the op.

In that case Canon / Nikon just pick your horse. Both have stunning cameras throughout the range.

losbarbados
15 Mar 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sorry for misleading Nick.
Was looking at best case / dream kit. if only I could afford 2 top of the range bodiesGrin

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6537 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have just purchased the 7d to add to my 5D2, for anything fast action or for the extra reach its the 7d for anything else it can not compete with the 5D2, in my opinion of course.

James_C
James_C  536 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 2:47 PM

An interesting thread. When I reached the point of upgrading from Olympus I went through much the same research as you. Like you, I plumped for Canon - my photography is predominantly low ligh and often high contrast. I chose the 5D MkI in the end as I felt its picture quality was marginally better. I have to say I am delighted with it.
Shortly before I bought, I had the opportunity to talk to a professional photographer, who has an impressive portfolio of international companies that she photographs for. Her advice was to seriously consider the 1Ds MkII if I could possibly manage it. Sadly, my funds couldn't quite stretch that far so I bought the 5D MkI. Never the less, food for thought for you.

James

PS This is at ISO1250

Last Modified By James_C at 15 Mar 2012 - 2:55 PM
James_C
15 Mar 2012 - 3:11 PM

Quote: I chose the 5D MkI in the end as I felt its picture quality was marginally better.

Sorry - I should have continued to say ...than the 5D MkII and definitely better than the 7D.

James

losbarbados
15 Mar 2012 - 3:41 PM

Certainly food for thought, one thing I am tempted with is a second hand MkIII 1d but that would be highly reliant on how much I can get from trading in my existing kit

James_C
15 Mar 2012 - 5:49 PM

A bit more food for thought for you - I don't know if you have read the dpreview of these cameras but if you haven't you might like to. I've linked you in to the Photographic Test - Noise and its interesting to note that they compare it to the 5D MkI, the 1Ds MkII and the Nikon D3.... Quite an interesting comparison group.
If you PM me your email address I'll send you one at ISO 1600. I can't post it on here at the moment as I haven't got the full permissions yet.

Last Modified By James_C at 15 Mar 2012 - 5:59 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.