Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A "nice" security man story.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jestertheclown

2-09-10-12-bute-street.jpg

"Bute Street in Luton," taken from the open, top floor of the car park at the Arndale Centre, where, I was informed by a security guy, that you can't take photographs without permission.
    There's a multi-storey car park next door to this street that's in the throes of being demolished, so, being a bit of a fan of that kind of thing, I'd looked around for a vantage point where I might be able to capture a few images.
    The top floor of the Arndale looked very inviting, so I jumped in the lift and found myself a spot opposite, sort of, all of the action.
    I took about twenty shots altogether. Just reportage stuff but interesting enough for me to add them to my collection of that kind of thing. I then took a few shots across Luton's rooftops; arguably, the most appealing aspect of the entire place.
    I was just about done when a security guy came out of the little building that houses the lifts and said that I was taking photographs without permission. He didn't ask or tell me to stop. He just pointed it out.
    He went on to say that if I went to the customer services desk, they'd happily let me carry on but they needed to know why I was there and what I was doing.
    He explained very politely, that seemingly, quite a few photographers before me had wanted to get similar shots and the centre had adopted the policy that provided that we were doing no wrong and they knew we were doing no wrong, then they were happy for us to continue.
    To be fair, he approached me very quietly and professionally and obviously, I responded in kind. No histrionics or waving pointless little cards. We dealt with the situation like gentlemen and parted with a smile and a handshake.
    Top marks to this guy for the manner in which he dealt with the situation and top marks too to the guys with the CCTV cameras that told him that I was there.
    These people get a lot of flak, if we're to believe what we read and I think that it's only fair that we make a small fuss when they do their, probably horrible, job well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Oct 2012 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alfpics
    alfpics  12357 forum posts England
    9 Oct 2012 - 4:43 PM

Quote: These people get a lot of flak, if we're to believe what we read and I think that it's only fair that we make a small fuss when they do their, probably horrible, job well.

Hear! Hear!

Andy

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2012 - 4:51 PM

I cannot help think that had you been a person wanting to start a confrontation and starting to quote rights ect this could have gone a totally different way, Both of you handled it like it should be.

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9359 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    9 Oct 2012 - 8:07 PM

Well done to that chappy!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2012 - 11:44 PM

Top marks to you too Bren, for responding appropriately. Smile

User_Removed
    10 Oct 2012 - 7:29 AM

Good on ya Bren. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.