Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Blogger's Cautionary Tale.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7792 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom171 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2012 - 9:49 PM

This Blog may be of interest to some of you. It's about the legal issues of using photos from the web and Copyright.

http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7/20/bloggers-beware-you-can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jul 2012 - 9:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker

So the blogger used a photo from elsewhere, in spite of the site in question clearly stating that the copyright belonged with the original poster? And seems surprised about the resulting case?

keithh
    keithh  1022565 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jul 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: Or was I the only one blissfully unaware that using pics on blogs wasn't protected?

and yet the blogger admitted that he asked for sections of his work to be removed from other sites.

thewilliam
    23 Jul 2012 - 6:50 PM

A blog is "published" and open for all to see. This makes it no different from a newspaper or magazine.

Too many professionals in the field, especially newspaper publishers, seem to believe that copyright protection applies only to their work and that they can use other people's pictures whenever they like.

It's like somebody stealing from a market and, when they're caught, they protest, "this stuff was on a table set up in a public street. How was I to know that it was somebody's property?"

Last Modified By thewilliam at 23 Jul 2012 - 6:50 PM
    User_Removed
    24 Jul 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think there is a fundamental (well, maybe not fundamental - but important) difference between Wee Lizzy in Cardiff copying pictures from the internet to brighten up her schoolgirl blog and some commercial operator like a newspaper publisher or professional photographer copying images for business purposes.

I see Wee Lizzy's situation as being analogous to the old-fashioned equivalent of cutting pictures from magazines to stick in a scrapbook.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: I see Wee Lizzy's situation as being analogous to the old-fashioned equivalent of cutting pictures from magazines to stick in a scrapbook.

To an extent that is true and it's a good analogy however, if you cut something out of a magazine, you at least have an obvious indication that it is someone else's work. Posting on a blog without attribution gives an implication that the photo belongs to you.

Policing is another issue, whilst Wee Lizzy is probably doing no harm, how do you differentiate between harmless fun and those potentially making a money from their blogs either directly (sponsored links etc) or by promoting their business. It's a nightmare to start having different 'rules' for different people.

Once Joe Public thinks it is accepted practice to 'lift' photos and use them freely at will, it's only a short step to it being done commercially as it becomes ingrained as 'acceptable practice' - it is already happening with many newspapers lifting from websites and even using downloaded comps from an agency, and cropping or editing out watermarking!

I'm not sure what the answer is but the industry and those who take photographs whether professionally or not do need to make a noise about this. The more people who are aware of the law relating to copyright rather than just base their opinions on hearsay and conjecture, the better

User_Removed
    24 Jul 2012 - 11:31 AM

I remember a children's hospital having to paint over their murals of Mickey Mouse and co. Disney are very proactive in protecting their copyrights. They don't mind the children's hospital doing that really but their lawyers do, if you don't protect the designs they go into the public domain and end up on more Chinese lunch boxes than they do (illegally) already.

I think the only answer is zero tolerance. If you like my work you'll be happy to pay to use it. If you don't want to use it then you're free to use your own stuff.

keithh
    keithh  1022565 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 12:36 PM

Who the ....is Wee Lizzy?

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: Who the ....is Wee Lizzy?

Jimmy Crankie's incontinent sister Smile

CTee
    CTee  749 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jul 2012 - 1:47 PM

Ref: Wee Lizzy, this is where schools should be setting the foundations of what is right or wrong. Part of any ICT lessons should be preparing the future generations on how to use emerging technology. Too many students copy reams of stuff from the net, would they understand plagiarism if it can from a book? Not that there is any difference!!

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jul 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: Ref: Wee Lizzy, this is where schools should be setting the foundations of what is right or wrong.

They do, and are on constant look out for plagiarism. But is plagiarism anything new? Didn't we copy our mates book on the back of the bus? (had one mate even copy my name on top of his homework ... Pr@) granted its easier to do these days, also easier to get caught (software etc).

Last Modified By Nick_w at 24 Jul 2012 - 3:17 PM
    rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    24 Jul 2012 - 3:26 PM

Quote: Who the ....is Wee Lizzy?

An Irish rock band which featured the late Phil Lynott as lead guitarist.................

oy maybe not Wink

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111881 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jul 2012 - 7:08 PM

Quote: this is where schools should be setting the foundations of what is right or wrong. Part of any ICT lessons should be preparing the future generations on how to use emerging technology

Staff at schools are probably more guilty as the kids, During assemblys and lessons teachers will often be using powerpoint presentations containing photos from google images and video from you tube.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 24 Jul 2012 - 7:10 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.