Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A change to the EC POTW process - your thoughts?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:04 AM

As the site has grown I spend more and more time looking through all the photos to choose ECs HCs and POTW. The usual process is I delve into the gallery at some point/s throughout the day and look back to where I left off last time. I balance this with the rest of workload and I may be in judging at 8:00am or 12:00pm I may skip a day and then have two days worth to catch up on. When I have a week off it takes a day to catch up.

We've debated in the past having guest judges, but the general views is that would no longer be an editor's choice, and also I cannot imagine anyone putting in the amount of time needed to view every photo. Over the last few months its been very challenging for me. So much so that I will admit that I have not been viewing all pics at large size for several months, instead using my experience to judge from the thumbnail view.

So the conclusion is a new process is needed and I'd like you thoughts on the following.

My idea is that everything stays same in the gallery - ie you upload when you want and as many photos as you do currently, but at some point in the week you go to a page in your profile that lets you nominate your favourite photo of that week to be considered for an EC. This will be one of your own photos from that week.

Our week commences 0:00 Monday and ends 24:00 Sunday. I will look through all the nominated photos throughout the following week to make my selection of EC's (awarding HC's to near misses) and the POTW will appear at the end of the following week. This will reduce my workload to 1/7th that it is currently.

It means you have the chance to put forward your favourite photo of the week, or one that has had the highest number of member votes, or the one suggested by a friend/colleague. It also lets those who don't agree with ECs HCs etc to abstain form putting an image forward.

You can nominate your pic on Monday if you think that's your best or wait until the end of the week.

This all seems to make perfect sense, but rather than introduce it on Monday I thought I'd give you the chance to comment, make suggestions before we create the feature.

Last Modified By Pete at 11 Oct 2007 - 11:05 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Oct 2007 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:08 AM

I think its a great idea.
Mark

Kris_Dutson
11 Oct 2007 - 11:14 AM

Could work; let's try it

Wink

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 11 Oct 2007 - 11:14 AM
stevekhart
11 Oct 2007 - 11:17 AM

Would be good if you could nominate someone else's pic for consideration. No wait... that'll be like click cliques Sad

Maddie
Maddie  92714 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:19 AM

Why dont you have some helpers if it is too much for you alone ? Like you do when you are away, change the title from EC to something else Smile

Last Modified By Maddie at 11 Oct 2007 - 11:21 AM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:20 AM

How does that work for people who've had multiple ECs in a week previously, like Cole had two on consecutive days a week or so back?

Should he only post one image that he thinks is the best one week and then wait to post the other?

Smile

Maddie
11 Oct 2007 - 11:25 AM

you could change HC's to Silver award and EC's to Gold award Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:26 AM

I think that could work really well Pete.

As to Cheryl's question (assuming for a microsecond she was serious) multiple ECs in a week would still only be eligible for a single POTW in the current system so no problem.

I assume you will have some sort of filter to make sure the photos are really from the previous week, to make sure people don't just keep voting for the same photo all the time. Smile

Ian

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:27 AM

I wonder how many EC and HC's are given now to people who never thought it was good enough, and would not have submitted it in the first place.

Could am option be have a series of "judges" to cover a 24 hour period select poetential EC's HC's etc. for your review.

Mike

culturedcanvas
11 Oct 2007 - 11:29 AM

Doesn't sound like its a workable idea to be frank. I assume that getting an EC or HC is something that many people look forward to.

Your choices are often different to what many would consider to be their best pics so I feel that a lot of photos would be missed with this process.

It would be far better to have guest judges surely. I understand what you are saying about it not being an editors choice award .... but at the end of the day that can be changed if really necessary.

Of course the judges would have to be reasonable experienced and have some standing otherwise it would lose its value. Out of those awards you could then choose say 5 to 10 special shots, and a pic of the week.

That way theres a highly commended level, a judges choice, and editors choice and POTW. YOu could even introduce a pic of the month with a special prize.

The judges could be chosen from E2 members who were willing to put the time in to viewing the images.

Send the cheque for the consultancy to Units 29-33 .....

Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:31 AM

Quote: but at some point in the week you go to a page in your profile that lets you nominate your favourite photo of that week to be considered for an EC

Therefore only one EC per week is possible! So yes I am serious. So I think one of us misread Pete's original intention, so maybe Pete can clarify.

Maddie
11 Oct 2007 - 11:32 AM

or change the HC and EC as i suggested above chosen by a certain panel and you choose EC's from there once a week!

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82286 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2007 - 11:36 AM

Interesting idea Pete, but I'm with Cheryl on this one - what if you upload two fantastic images in that one week. Whilst this may be unlikely for me (currently, but I live in hope), for others who produce a fantastic standard consistantly this is limiting.

May I suggest an alternative - dropping the EC mantle altogether in favour of some alternative system? (oh, no I sense the flames already). I mean no disrespect, but the EC is an award based on your sole opinion. Whilst I don't doubt your ability (Wink)I do question if this method is the best for a community based site. Perhaps an editorial team approach might be better? Or a system using picture touts (nominated togs) who agree to examine shots for any one given hour in the week and who then nominate a selection to the editorial team to make a final decision?

I don't know if these suggestions will work - but perhaps its time to question the need for an EC?

Regards,
Adam

PS. I'm currently at work, so I'll try and catch up on this thread later - my way of saying - right I'm running for cover Smile

culturedcanvas
11 Oct 2007 - 11:40 AM

Selected judges who view photos on a daily basis, award HC and Judges Choice (JC's), Pete picks EC's from Judges Choice Awards as and when he has time.

POTW picked at the end of the week, and a Pic of the month picked from the POTW's.

Simple. It really is ...

Wink

Maddie
11 Oct 2007 - 11:42 AM

waiting patiently for Pete to come back from his coffee break .

I'snt that similar to what ive suggested Dan Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.