Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A disgrace

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56743 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 2:00 PM

Quote: This always happens in Labour controlled councils, never in the public sector

Aren't councils the 'public sector'?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Nov 2012 - 2:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315682 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2012 - 3:09 PM

I can remember spending a Christmas in Rotherham when our son was about a year old.

He walked into a low coffee table splitting his lip, we get him checked over at the local hospital.

Then a few weeks later we got a visit from the SS, we live hundreds of miles from Rotherham Smile

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
28 Nov 2012 - 4:58 PM

It's a shame that Rotherhams Social Services nor Police Department could manage such haste with grooming gangs, or even their expense fiddling MP !

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 9:37 AM

Quote: This always happens in Labour controlled councils, never in the public sector

Aren't councils the 'public sector'?

OK You spotted my deliberate error, I naturally meant Private Sector. Please apply to EPZ for your mystery prize and well spotted.

mikehit
29 Nov 2012 - 10:48 AM

Are you seriously saying that the private sector does not make errors comparable to those in Rotherham?
Te incompetence of G4 security and prison breaks, for instance?
The wholesale belittlement, name-calling and damned-near libel that goes on in the press (who are private companies).
Discrimination in the workplace based on gender, age or disability
Do you want more examples?

Focus_Man
29 Nov 2012 - 11:35 AM

Quote: Are you seriously saying that the private sector does not make errors comparable to those in Rotherham?
Te incompetence of G4 security and prison breaks, for instance?
The wholesale belittlement, name-calling and damned-near libel that goes on in the press (who are private companies).
Discrimination in the workplace based on gender, age or disability
Do you want more examples?

As I said, This always goes on in the Public sector and more so by many times, than in the private sector and particularly when private sector contractors like G4 work under the supervision of the Public Sector. The other difference of course is that public sector ****-ups like Immigration control, looking after our gold reserves, managing the economy, buying computer hardware and in particular software, employing these public sector 'jobsworths' who have time to hammer the innocentover trivia - all cost us the tax-payer hard earned income.
The main problem being that members of the government have no history of having had a proper job and so cannot supervise or manage employment of staff and correct efficient running of other jobs. The same is now becoming the norm in Local authorities. A lot of them decided to become investment brokers and instead of concentrating on running local services started investing in Icelandic banks! Remember that? Did we ever get our money back? NO! Because public sector people in Ivory Towers seem to think they can run anything when most couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery.

collywobles
29 Nov 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: The main problem being that members of the government have no history of having had a proper job and so cannot supervise or manage employment of staff and correct efficient running of other jobs. The same is now becoming the norm in Local authorities

Never a truer word said, despite some of the problems in the private sector quoted.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3839 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 - 11:50 AM

I rather suspect that the private sector are far better at hiding their cockups from public scrutiny. I write as someone who spent more than 30 years working in the private sector and the last 3 years in the public sector.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13323 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 3:11 PM

It's highly probable that the public sector makes far more ****-ups than the private sector. Reasons-
1. when the public sector makes one of it's frequent ****-ups who pays? We do the taxpayer. Who takes responsibility; usually no one, but if occasionally some gets sacked it's usually with a handsome pay off and a full pension
2 when the private sectors makes a ****-up who pays? The business and shareholders and the workers at that firm. A great incentive to make fewer mistakes.

Last Modified By Alan_Baseley at 29 Nov 2012 - 3:31 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014176 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 3:32 PM

Quote: It's highly probable that the public sector makes far more ****-ups than the private sector.

Having worked for both I can't see much difference. I have seen millions wasted in the private sector and those responsible were either promoted or used it as a stepping stone to a better paid job.
The difference in private sector is that as long as the company is still making money your cockups get hidden.

Quote: particularly when private sector contractors like G4 work under the supervision of the Public Sector.

No the difference is that they cockup all the time...it only appears in the papers when it is the public sector signing the cheques.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 29 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 6:38 PM

Quote: Having worked for both I can't see much difference. I have seen millions wasted in the private sector and those responsible were either promoted or used it as a stepping stone to a better paid job.
The difference in private sector is that as long as the company is still making money your cockups get hidden.

I agree. I think private firms should be allowed only in manufacturing and service industries - not in fuel, water, the health services or railways - and they definitely should be kept out of schools and prison security services! Sad

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
30 Nov 2012 - 10:25 AM

Ah well, judging by the result of the by election in Rotherham yesterday it would seem, contrary to popular belief, that turkeys DO actually vote for Christmas, and more of the same ! Sad

thewilliam
30 Nov 2012 - 11:58 AM

The man who was at the helm of Natwest Bank when it made one of the largest losses in British business history was able to retire with a handsome pension. Is this what's meant by private sector accountability?

mikehit
30 Nov 2012 - 12:04 PM

Is that any different to public sector accountability?

Focus_Man
30 Nov 2012 - 12:13 PM

Quote: Ah well, judging by the result of the by election in Rotherham yesterday it would seem, contrary to popular belief, that turkeys DO actually vote for Christmas, and more of the same ! Sad

Well the votes for UKIP were great and maybe the wishy-washy Lib Dems will be back into obscurity by the next general election, unless of course cameron sees the light and calls a referendum, thus carrying out the wishes of the electorate for once.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.