Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A good camera for studio work?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Daisy_intheMill
    10 Dec 2004 - 1:44 AM

Yesterday, I uploaded a shot Boys! taken with my Nikon Coolpix 5700, and commented on it that I find the camera has a delay when using it in the studio.I have a set up using a IR transmitter to set off the flashes, but find that on pressing the button it takes about 2-3 seconds before it takes the shot, so those fabulous expressions are lost. I had a number of really helpful suggestions, (thankyou!), all recommending a Canon EOS 20. Does anyone have any further views or any experience of similar problems? I'd really like to hear.
    Jude

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Dec 2004 - 1:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

videoman
    videoman e2 Member 956 forum postsvideoman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2004 - 12:51 PM

Hi Jude,
    When using studio flash you are obviously in Manual and have already selected your aperture and shutter speed from the light-meter readings.
    However, your camera is unaware of that and will still be trying to autofocus with the settings and light available.
    Try turning off the autofocus (and any other focus assistants, if there are any, such as AiAF) then focus manually.
    Now, when you press the shutter you know you have at least minimised any delay.
    Of course, if you are serious about shooting in a studio, you need to get yourself a 20D, or pick up a 300D now they are down to around the 500 mark.
    Regards,
    Doug.

sillyconguru
    12 Dec 2004 - 1:03 PM

Get a DSLR, not necessarily a Canon (The Nikon D70 is very capable. I know it hasn't got an ISO 100 setting but, do you really need it?).

All prosumers have a shutter delay which you can't get rid of (although Doug is correct in mentioning how to minimise this). A DSLR will have no delay (well, maybe a few milliseconds), and the D70 has no start-up delay (the 300D takes about 3 seconds to "boot up").

tezza
    tezza  10569 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Dec 2004 - 2:49 AM

I had a similar problem with my Fuji 602Z - excellent camera but I felt that I missed some of those special shots in and out of studio conditions.

As said above, do everything you can to minimise the shutter lag. This also includes holding the shutter half way down as often as possible. So try to choose as small an aperture as possible so that you've got a good depth of field and prefocus.

Other than that, a digital/film SLR is the next step.

Good luck.

Terry

nevphoto
    nevphoto  10
    15 Dec 2004 - 4:08 PM

Hi: Nothing wrong with the Canon EOS 20D - but if money is tight, look for a used D60 or 10D, which are both OK for what you need, and a lot cheaper than the new 20D, but try to use a reputable camera shop and get a 12 month guarantee!

theorderingone
    15 Dec 2004 - 4:45 PM

Id think you may be better looking toward a Nikon D70, the money you save could be spent on getting some decent glass for it (The 85mm F1.8 would be superb for portraits, very, verry sharp and fast focussing, or the 50mm F1.8 is an even cheaper option)

Saying that, for studio work the Fuji S2 Pro is a very good option at the mo as it has a flash sych socket, better build than the D70 and you can pick them up new for under 1000 which would still leave some money for devcent glass.

Just an idea!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.