Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A good Idea......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mayfly
    Mayfly  8485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2006 - 12:51 PM

Went out for a walk the other day with the camera and got fed up having to get my map out of my bag to see where I was. When I got home it hit me - Take a photo of the map of the area I will be in on the DSLR BEFORE going out, that way all I have to do is goto review on my camera and "hey presto" instant map (being the first image on the card it's easy to access). I managed to get a good 10 sq miles of an OS map with good detail. I still take the map out with me just in case but it makes things much easier Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Aug 2006 - 12:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams
    andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2006 - 12:58 PM

You can now buy a portable sat nav with a built in camera.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:01 PM

I was on a camera club walk last year that turned out to be rather longer than the guide suggested. It got so dark that we couldn't see the map..... the solution was to take a photo of the map with flash, and read it on the LCD screen of the camera.

Mattw

Mayfly
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:06 PM

Hmmm didn't think of that and it works in the dark Smile woohoo! I need to think of something I can patent and make my millions.......any suggestions?

conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:07 PM

Sell maps with torches. A winning combination! Wink

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:08 PM

Along similar lines - a couple of years ago we were holidaying in Cornwall. One day we went into St Ives on the train and wanted to make a note of the train times for the return journey. After searching in vain for pen and paper I just took a photo of the timetable which we consulted later in the day.
    Martin

simont
    simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:08 PM

Photobooths at the top of hills/mountains so people can get a quick snap shot of themselves to prove they've been there and bore the neighbours with.

Mayfly
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:11 PM

See It's amazing, we don't realise how useful our cameras are ! a camera is not just for Christmas etc etc......

Nike55
    Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:15 PM

I had the same idea at an equestrian event a while ago. I took a shot of the course map posted on the secretary's window (office was closed) the day before the event so we could conduct a walk round of the cross country course. It didn't help my girlfriend though - still got lost on the day.

Of course photographing an OS map and using it in this way could be considered copyright infringement, esp. if you didn't have the original map in your pocket.

But who is going to know...

Mayfly
    8 Aug 2006 - 1:19 PM

Ha HA I wondered how long it would be before someone brought up the good old copyright....... to be honest if I purchase a map, If it's on paper or as a digital image on the back of the camera it's one and the same.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.