Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A heads up on Breakdown cover

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 12:31 PM

This morning I recieved my annual renewal notice for the AA and 122 quid seems a little steep for recovery and relay after paying 85 pounds last year, so I rang them on the Im considering leaving number after checking the online price for the same package.

The operaor spoke to his Supervisor and offered me the package for a discounted rate of 95 pounds which was very nice of them
    Quote: BUT

in front of me the website was offering the same package by the same company for 74 pounds. After he offered me the generous discount I pointed this out to them and again the superviser agreed to drop it to the online price of 74 quid saving me nearly 50.

Im sure most of you follow your renewals up just as I do but for those who dont check them,do not take them as being correct. On the plus side the AA is fins so im happy to stay with them but it does consern me that you cannot trust them to play fair on pricing.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2012 - 12:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 1:16 PM

It is the same with car insurance companies. Last year my premium rose by a crazy amount despite no claims yet again. I telephoned to ask for a reduction as the rise was out of kilter with inflation - but no joy.

I renewed with the same company on the internet and saved £75.

I soon received a letter telling me that my insurance cover was about to expire! I telephoned with my new policy number and the guy, quite amazingly, seemed surprised that I was able to get a new policy number different from my existing one and also with a more favourable premium? It seems they attempt to attract new customers by giving discounts, which you can understand to a certain extent, but what happened to customer loyalty?

A similar thing happened to me with renewing cash ISAs. You could get a slightly better interest rate if you were a new customer, than if you were renewing as an existing one.

It seems times are changing and we all need to monitor all such annually renewable contracts diligently.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 8 Nov 2012 - 1:20 PM
    gjfereday
    gjfereday  246 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 1:30 PM

Ive just done exactly the same with Hastings. Renewal was £324 but managed to reduce it to £278 for exactly the same cover because it was cheaper to purchase a new policy online than to renew.

nik111
    nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6322 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 1:40 PM

It's worth checking your bank statement Kevin to make sure the AA do take the correct sum out as my sister had the same problem, got the rate reduced and they still took out the original, more expensive sum of money out of her account. They did say sorry and said it was a mistake, but it is worth checking.

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 2:12 PM

Quote: It's worth checking your bank statement Kevin to make sure the AA do take the correct sum out as my sister had the same problem, got the rate reduced and they still took out the original, more expensive sum of money out of her account. They did say sorry and said it was a mistake, but it is worth checking.

Thanks, He said they would send new paperwork with agreed price to me in the next few days, and its not due until the first week in december so hopefully it will be amended but I will be watching

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:40 PM

check that your bank account doesn't give you `free' breakdown.....mine does Smile

yes, I have to pay a monthly fee, but it also gives me free worldwide travel insurance (incl pre conditions).

worth doing the maths...blimey I sound like Martyn Lewis WinkGrinGrinGrin

dcash29
    dcash29  81908 forum posts England
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:40 PM

Girlfriend left the AA when they wanted an extra £100 for two weeks cover abroad.

We have been with these people for a few years. Great service when needed

http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/info/contact.php

Last Modified By dcash29 at 8 Nov 2012 - 4:43 PM
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 11:15 PM

before the bank I used autonational for several years...always seemed good value for money. The prices still look competitive

steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    12 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've used Green Flag for a few years now costs me Under£50 for recovery plus. Gives me onward travel plus at home service.
    I can't understand how the two big boys charge £120 for the same level of cover!

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    12 Nov 2012 - 11:33 PM

Just a note on the cover that is available with bank accounts. Check carefully the terms and conditions because a lot of them offer breakdown cover, however this is only the roadside assistance, if they then need to recover you, then you could still be stuck with a hefty recovery bill. I have this from a very reliable source

Snapper
    Snapper  93752 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 11:37 PM

It looks like most of them are reasonably good, but you can get the results of the Driver Power survey here.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.