Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A level photography project work help please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AliceLuisePhotography

I have an project to do with the title "Unseen Personality". My idea is too take photographs of people with musical instruments in very old places like a grave yard, or a field places like this and so on, im not sure if its on the right wave line to it though. I also need some example photographers who do work like this. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 5:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101408 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:14 PM

Dont you find it disrespectful to use graveyards, Its a resting place for peaples familys and friends, not a backdrop for your A levels. On anothr note it is for you to find the answer yourself, asking others defeats the object of the tests, Im sorry if this is not what you want to hear but everything your asking seems very wrong to me.

Last Modified By KevSB at 9 Oct 2012 - 6:14 PM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:15 PM

Hi Alice. This is a really difficult title to fulfill. I think I would start by drawing a 'spider chart' (I think that's what it's called anyway). So for the 'unseen' bit, I think I would interpret it literally. So I'd write 'Ghost', 'Footsteps' (in sand/water), 'Shadows' etc. Then I'd tackle the 'Personality' - 'Person', 'Animal' etc.

You have interpreted it as "A Musician In Old Places", which is a good artistic base to start with. Can you explain why you've gone down this path? (I know your write up is as important as the images you take). If you do decide to use a graveyard you may have to get permission from the local priest (I'm not sure about that one).

It really is a very difficult title to work with, I'm sure if you are really stuck then your teacher is allowed to give you a few pointers. Good Luck! Smile

Jestertheclown

I like the idea of photographing someone playing an appropriately unlikely instrument in a graveyard.
A double bass, or a cello spring to mind, with lots of mist and keeping it very moody.
The shot could work well, I'm sure of that. I'm just not quite sure how many people would make the connection to the theme.
Not sure that this really helps!

Bren.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:35 PM

Hey Alice I like your idea.

I think I saw an image by Rankin of a Violinist standing on the beech, up to their knees in the sea. As Karen says try and jot some ideas down, and see what happens. Its a good idea, you just need to work on it good luck.

Do these help

Or do some of these help you (not all)

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Oct 2012 - 6:40 PM
AliceLuisePhotography

For the unseen bit im thinking of not doing like a normal portrait of there face , like the back or side of them, as if they didnt know the photo was being taken, as if i the photographer was unseen. The whole graveyard thing i was thinking of someone playing to a loved one.

AliceLuisePhotography

i have seen this photographers project on banjos and just looking to do a similar thing
http://www.gregoryheisler.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p...

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:42 PM

I had one I could never get to work, which was the person at a boring work desk, but with a series picture frames behind them showing a more spirited side of their nature. It never looked "real enough to me"

Yes the ideas good, time to work up your story board Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:46 PM

I like the images where the musician is hidden behind the instrument - especially the 'tie' one! Smile You have some good ideas, just have faith in yourself to make them come to life! Smile

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82332 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:59 PM

I like the advice of writing up why you think the idea fits the theme. This will likely allow you to refine the idea further...

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
9 Oct 2012 - 8:18 PM

How about a shot of a male policeman sat at a desk - senior type with stripes on jacket and wearing a hat, very formal. Underneath the desk you can see that the policeman is wearing stockings, suspenders and high heels. There are numerous options for the facial expression.

I guess you wouldn't get a real ccopper to do this so you'd probably have to stage it.

Jestertheclown

Quote: I guess you wouldn't get a real ccopper to do this

You might be surprised Paul, I know one that would.

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
9 Oct 2012 - 9:54 PM

You could also have people in inappropriate clothing playing instruments;-

eg: - A Ballet Dancer playing the Double Base.
A Diver Plaing the Harp
A Construction Worker playing the Violin
A Nurse playing the Tuba
Etc
Etc

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82332 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:59 PM

Or a student doing their own homework - oop's sorry - thats me being cynical Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm "Unseen Personality",

Well on a completely different tangent you could elaborate the parts of peoples personality that are rarely seen.
For example if you know some people who work in uniform you coould find out their hobbies and interests, so if you know a nurse who plays football you could picture them in goal but in their nurses uniform..
or a policeman in uniform sitting fishing by a lake/

The juxtoposition of their seen personality (their job) and their unseen personality (their interests) could make a fun series.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.