Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A photo a day...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Tony_M
Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
15 Aug 2005 - 12:40 AM

How many good photos do you take in a year? 365?

I try to upload one photo a day, and I suspect many others on this site do the same. Perhaps its because the site is so addictive. But do I really think I can produce 365 good photos a year worthy of uploading? I reckon I take perhaps 20 or so that Id be happy to print out and frame on a wall, so why should I upload the other 340 for a handful of clicks and Nice shot comments?

I suppose it comes down to what I want to use the site for. In the short term, its nice to get daily positive feedback on my work. In the long term however, Im trying to improve and take better photos, so I wonder if theres much to gain from showing off average photos along with my best work. In fact Im almost starting to feel guilty for inviting people to look at and comment on my work if I consider the photo to be merely average.

Just a few thoughts for a Monday morning...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2005 - 12:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iansamuel
iansamuel  10271 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Aug 2005 - 12:47 AM

It's a fair point, one I can empathise with. What to say, other than lets get out there and take more pics!

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2005 - 12:50 AM

Interesting, I've thought about this as well. But I saw a comment in another thread that the Reader's Gallery is not necessarily a showcase for perfect pictures, but a place where we discuss how we can improve our photography.

The idea that it's a place of learning also inspired my upload of today, for instance. I can see something wrong with it myself, but invite the input of others, hoping that they will see or suggest something that I haven't thought of myself. And usually that does indeed happen.

In addition to the many "nice pic" comments I get enough suggestions for improvement to keep me uploading even those shots that aren't perfect. Simply because I like to know what I could do to improve my photography.

Conrad

SteveCharles
15 Aug 2005 - 12:58 AM

What defines a photo worth uploading? And what do you upload them for?

Is it not better to upload a broad spectrum of your work, and use the comments wisely, than only showcase your best work? And how do you know what is your best work?

My most popular pictures, in terms of readers votes & feedback, are not my favourite pictures, and neither to I consider them my best work. All you can do is post up what you consider interesting for whatever reason, and see how it fares.

Steve

ian walker
ian walker  10716 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Aug 2005 - 1:20 AM

me, i want to improve to the point that i get a big fat EC (you listening pete) LOL

only i can make that improvement though.............

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2005 - 1:25 AM

Having looked at your portfolio, shouldn't take too long!......Aim higher though!...You have the capability.

Ade

Bernie
Bernie  102201 forum posts
15 Aug 2005 - 1:29 AM

I tend to upload shots that I personally am not sure about to see what others think. I have 3 groups the (deleted ones) Smile) The good un's that I'm happy with and have prints made of(never usually posted here or anywhere else on the net). And lastly I have the not so sure abouts(usually not happy with), these are the ones I post on here for you people to pick at.
So I doubt I'll ever reach the dizzy heights of EC or HC if what I post here are my shots I can't decide on.
Anyway thats what and why I personally post here.

Doclassie
Doclassie  91135 forum posts England
15 Aug 2005 - 1:38 AM

I tried to upload a picture a day, but if I'd had a "dry spell" I ended up uploading old pictures just for the sake of it.... I stopped doing that when I realised it was an ego thing. Pretty sad really. I just wanted a daily dose of "nice picture!" etc....

I upload pictures that I'm happy with just to see if I'm hitting the right marks, ie composition, good exposure etc... these are the things I strive to do well at so its nice when people reassure me that I'm going about things the right way.

These pics are few and far between however! So other times I upload pictures that I like, but am not sure why, or pictures that I'm curious about what, if any, reaction they'll get. I feel that helps me to keep my mind open to future picture opportunities that I might otherwise miss.

So, to answer the question... I aim to take 1 good photo from every outing. Most of these pics get uploaded generally. So far, I've taken about 5 or 6 this year that I'm really really pleased with and keep me striving forward. They deffinitely get uploaded. The others, I no longer post on here. If I'm not interested in them would I feel any different if others liked them? Probably not.....

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2005 - 1:47 AM

I think a lot of it depends on how prolific one might be, over the last week I've taken in excess of 1500 shots, and I suppose my weekly average is about a quarter of that. If I find myself wanting for a shot to put up then I'll put up something I'm unsure off and try to gauge reaction.

Having said all that, it does'nt mean I'm any better a photographer than the next person, what it does mean is that I'm in, what some may see as an enviable position to be able to take that many shots.

I have no problem with peeps that upload everyday, you pay your membership and that's what your entitled to, so why not.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2005 - 1:49 AM

Time is a problem for me at the moment, while I was working part time I had more time for photography but now I dont get home until 7 so there is little or no time for proper photography. I've probably only taken 10 pictures in the last week.

Ade_Osman
15 Aug 2005 - 2:05 AM

Quality over quantity eh K?.......I keep telling the wife that, but she still complains, can't think why?.....LOL

Ade

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2005 - 2:07 AM

I tend to upload for 2 main reasons. Either I have a shot with which I am happy and want critique as to any areas of the photo which could be improved (or, let's face it, just some praise. :0) ), or I have a shot in which I am trying something new and want advice or opinions.

The more you learn the more things you start to spot for yourself, therefore by nature the overall quality of your uploads should increase over time.

Ian

nigelf22
nigelf22  10583 forum posts
15 Aug 2005 - 3:51 AM

This is a very subjective thread: What's the definition of good"?

I currently upload an ave of 5 per week and out of those uploaded, I think one is way better than the rest but received few comments. I have a great many photo's taken over the years sitting in the loft gathering dust as, like most people, I simply have nowhere to display them, except here. It is an interesting experience to play with photoshop and it has helped enhance some shots that I would normally have binned.

If people wish to critique my work - fine, all constructive comments are welcome, even if I think some of them misinformed, ill-judged or just wrong. If others wish to comment with "nice shot" then it's OK too.

I use Epz as location where my friends and colleagues are able to view my snaps and those of others. As they are mostly non-photographers I find their comments interesting, informed and pertinent, although I don't upload everything, (whaddya mean "Seems like it!" ?) becuse it may seem irrelevant.

e.g. Out with a group of friends in the Red Sea, talked into a Banana Boat ride - take cheapo disposable camera and get fuzzy, grainy, white-water type, fins-and-limbs flying in all directions. My friends say it captured the moment when they had the wind knocked out of them perfectly and would like copies - on here I'd probably get "Bit out of focus mate" or "try using a tripod next time to avoid camera shake....

Tony_M
Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
15 Aug 2005 - 4:26 AM

It's been interesting reading the entries in this discussion. I do admit that I've seldom uploaded a shot I knew was badly exposed, poorly focused etc. to invite constructive critique.

In light of the above comments I'll consider uploading a broader spectrum of my work, and try to stay away from uploading for the sake of it.

I'd probably learn a lot if I could spend more time viewing and commenting on others' work, but I don't usually get home until 8pm so my time online is limited, unless I sneak a few minutes during the day. Hmmm.. better get back to work!

nigelf22
nigelf22  10583 forum posts
15 Aug 2005 - 6:37 AM

Thinking further on this; for the most part all photographs are unique and many are not always repeatable (there are a few exeptions) esp with regard to the photos I take, so any critique would, for me, only be of value in respect of my heavy handedness in the editing or "photoshop" phase.

My potential for improvement is therefore strictly limited because the circumstances surrounding the photos probably would not recur...

So by default, my unique, unrepeatble photographs are "good". In fact these one-offs are so "good" and compeletely unique and therefore rate an award all by themselves! Wink worth a try....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.