Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A question about Argos pricing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    peterkin
    peterkin  10618 forum posts England
    30 Jul 2007 - 7:16 PM

Yesterday I bought Norton 360 securty software from Argos having first used the price checker on their website which quoted £39.99 (plus a free paper shredder). It said they were in stock at Worksop my nearest store. So off I went to buy it but was charged £59.99. I was assured this was the correct price and bought it anyway thinking I'd misread the price on the website. I checked when I got home and it was £39.99, so I fired off a polite e-mail asking why I'd been charged more (incidentally £59.99 is the price in the new catalogue which came out yesterday).

I received an e-mail this morning saying prices can change and you reserve the item not the price. But this evening I checked on the website and it still gives a price of £39.99. I don't mind paying the higher price if it's a genuine error on the website, but they haven't changed the website price and so it seems to me to be misleading potential customers. Does anyone know the legal position?

Peter

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jul 2007 - 7:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2007 - 7:29 PM

There have been incidents in the past where an item has been mis-priced in shops. Many people think that the shop is obliged to sell you that item for the price displayed. This, in fact, is not true. A financial transaction involves a seller and a buyer agreeing a price for the item. If the seller doesn't want to accept the price offered he is under no obligation to do so regardless of the advertised price. (If all that makes sense Smile)
    Paul

Milvus
    Milvus  7168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2007 - 8:33 PM

If you still have the product unused then take it back for a refund. There are plenty of freeware products that can take care of your security needs more than adequately.

peterkin
    peterkin  10618 forum posts England
    30 Jul 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, Paul and Michael. I've installed Norton 360 and I'm quite happy with it, and I've always had good service from Argos whom I've bought from loads of times. I know companies are not obliged to sell at a given price but I think it's a bit naughty to have one price on the web and another in the store. If it was an error they are in no hurry to put it right. I've checked prices on the web lots of times and this is the first time ever there's been a difference from that in store.

I think I'll contact someone higher in the organisation though and let them know how misleading I think it is.

Peter

accystan
    accystan  9132 forum posts Canada6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2007 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure of the entire legal position but it would come under contract law. There's a number of misconceptions here - the most important and 'counter-intuitive' one being that when a store advertises something at a certain price they're making an offer; they are not. When you go into the store and agree to buy the article for £50 or whatever, you are the one making the offer not them; they are accepting that offer by selling it to you. The other misconception is that a contract has to be in writing - it doesn't. Most contracts aren't; they're verbal. Putting it in writing only makes it easier to prove or resolve if there's a dispute. When you buy your morning newspaper from the newsagent you've entered into a contract. When you paid £59.99 for the Norton Anti-virus you effectively/legally offered that amount and they accepted it. The whole subject of contract law is, if think, quite interesting. There's a whole bunch of requirements for a contract to be legal and binding.

Having said all that I would have thought that a decent store, interested in promoting goodwill, would have honoured the advertised price and corrected their mistake. If they allow it to continue they're clearly using the low price as a ploy. I think however that it would be an onerous task for you to prove that it's a ploy by them (for eg. did the ad say how many they had at that price?). I know of a chain of stores that regularly advertises items on sale at ridiculous prices then when you go in they say they only had 2 at that price (and they're gone of course) or they're only available in some other branch etc. Caveat emptor indeed!

I've been using AVG anti-virus by Grisoft for years; It's easier on the wallet (free) and easier on the hard-drive (fewer mega bytes used).

Cheers,

Dave D

Badger
    Badger  114736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2007 - 9:41 AM

Many stores do advertise products on the web site cheaper, but include a disclaimer to state that it is a web only price (need to buy from the website and have it delivered).
    However if they do not, then a polite call to Trading Standards should suffice.

ambro
    ambro  967 forum posts
    31 Jul 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree with the free AVG comment; I use it at home along with COMODO excellent FREE firewall and both are great pieces of software. So, I would either ditch the Norton software altogether or return it and get a refund and then buy it online for the cheaper price.
    Argos may not have to sell it for the price stated online, but like accystan says, it would be good practice to just believe their customers and sell for the lower price in this case.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2007 - 1:45 PM

In the last virus test I read AVG was a long way off the pace. I suggest Kaspersky as it at least dealt with 98% of the threats thrown at it. AVG was about 70% from memory, I will check later.Norton was under 70%.

ambro
    ambro  967 forum posts
    31 Jul 2007 - 2:48 PM

in any case don't get norton(!) Wink

Lou_C
    Lou_C  7755 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2007 - 2:51 PM

I've never heard of Kaspersky but will certainly have a look at it. Like ambro I use AVG and Comodo. Apart from Norton Ghost I would never let any other Norton product near my system, IMHO it is to security what AOHell is to ISPs :lol:

Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2007 - 3:44 PM

Kaspersky is one of the best without doubt, but I am happy with AVG and Prevx.

PAllitt
    PAllitt  8 England
    31 Jul 2007 - 9:54 PM

I had a similar thing with a fridge -freezer with Curries. After a few phone calls/emails I got the 50 quid back. Keep going higher up the ladder until they give you what is right. If they advertise it at that price they have to sell it at that price

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.