Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Question of Macro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

debster
debster  10693 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2006 - 11:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I know when someone asks a question like this a lot of the response is down to personal choice but I'd really value some opinions on purchasing a macro lens.

I recently bought a 20D - I have the 17-40L lens and a 70-300 but I desperately want to purchase a good macro lens.

My choices are the Sigma 105mm, the Tamron 90mm and the Canon 100mm.

As I'm still off sick recouperating from the operation, I've had plenty of time to research all three lenses - I've read good about them all and, in reality, I just end up confusing myself with all I read.

So I just wondered if any of you could give me some personal recommendations?

Many thanks,
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2006 - 11:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

martinw
martinw  9251 forum posts England
25 Apr 2006 - 11:40 PM

Hi Debs,
I went through exactly the same process about three months ago and wound up with the Tamron. The Canon was too expensive and I couldn't decide between the others until I read one review that gave it to the Tamron and immediately after I saw a PF on here that used it. I have seen all of them, but particularly the Sigma (why?), on the 2nd hand market.

Be warned - it's difficult and addictive!

Got the necessary clearance then? I haven't for the 17-40L!

Martin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2006 - 11:43 PM

In a similar situation I went for the 100mm Canon & havn't regreted it for a second. I rarely take it off the front of the camera these days: Some examples for you:

I think if I was only allowed to use 1 lens it would be this one as I find it just so blooming versatile...which is strange for a prime Smile

mshepherd
mshepherd  10667 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Apr 2006 - 11:47 PM

Ive got the Tamron and for the money its a fantastic lens.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110148 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2006 - 11:57 PM

Hi Debbie - sorry to hear you are still off, it gets annoying after a while doesn't it! Sad

I use the Tamron SP 90 f2.8 (pre-Di version), it handles nicely and is excellent optically (but then they all are Smile

I think if I was starting again I would go for the canon for two reasons:

1 - with internal focusing its a fixed length lens, which can be very useful when you are getting in really close

2 - the USM AF, whilst not important close up makes it a nicer lens to use for portraits and as a short / medium telephoto.

On the other hand, have you thought about the sigma 150 macro? From what I have read and seen this seems to me to be one of the best macro lenses available at present and the extra reach would be a real bonus to me for things like Butterflies, Damsels and Dragons.

Hope you feel better soon

Brian

debster
26 Apr 2006 - 12:46 AM

Hi, thanks everyone for your responses.

Martin - I'm still working on justifying my need for this lens but I sense a weakening!! I tried using the macro end of the 70-300mm lens at the weekend but I wasn't over-impressed. As a zoom it's fine but I definitely need to get a macro. I'm hoping if the bottom lip trembles enough he'll weaken!

Chris, thanks for the links to the photos - I'm VERY impressed with the shots and am probably now more confused than before. I definitely think the hardest part of photography is making decisions when purchasing new equipment.

Brian, thanks for the input - I hadn't even considered the 150mm lens - I was only looking at the three I mentioned. More choices......

If anyone else has any input I'd be grateful?

Thanks,
Debbie

christophe
26 Apr 2006 - 1:01 AM

I had the 100 canon and now have the 180 canon cant find fault with either except if i was being really picky the weight.
Chris

Freefall
Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2006 - 3:22 AM

Sounds like all the macro lenses are good - I've got the Sigma 105mm and it's a cracker! (to add to the confusion) Smile

steve neil
26 Apr 2006 - 4:02 AM

If you get the 100mm Canon you wont be disappointed - class lens Smile

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108365 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2006 - 4:09 AM

The last review I read put the Canon 100 in 1st place and the Sigma 105 and Tamron 90 in joint 2nd place.

I have the Sigma and it is great.

Doug ;o)

debster
26 Apr 2006 - 6:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice - guess there's never going to be a definitive answer and it'll probably come down to money in the end Sad

Thanks again - it's most appreciated.

Debbie

MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
26 Apr 2006 - 9:00 AM

Luckily the 3 lenses that you mentioned are all very good, so you can't really go wrong picking any of them.

You didn't mention what you're going to be shooting with the macro lens. If you're looking to shoot bugs I'd recommend one of the longer lenses (150 or 180), it will give you more working distance and reduce the chances of you scaring off your subject.

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
26 Apr 2006 - 9:34 AM

I haven't got it yet but I have gone for the 100mm Canon. I think it gives me a good chance - I can keep a reasonable distance from the subject and use flash more easily. The 60mm is a possibility but the 100mm has more uses!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2006 - 11:09 AM

I'm very fond of the 100 mm too - as Chris says a very versatile lens, but I haven't compared it working next to the others.

tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Apr 2006 - 11:30 AM

i'll give the Tamron 90 a click Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.