Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A question of Style

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6544 forum posts213hardy vcard England
3 Feb 2013 - 8:06 PM

Evening all,

Was just looking back through my pf, and at how diverse it is. Then wondered how people develop a certain style or a liking for a particle subject.

I seems to take whatever catches my eye, be it lego or landscapes, i guess i like variety.

So i suppose my next question should be what's your preference? and why?

Den

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2013 - 8:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315202 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 8:10 PM

Style, I don`t think I have one Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 8:15 PM

I consider myself a nature photographer, and apart from the odd snaps of the grandkids on the weekends, that's about all I do with the camera. I like to mix up my gallery posts, and add a bit of variety, just to try and keep it interesting. My posts will vary a bit according to the season, and what I feel like. I've taken so many shots over the past 7 months, that I've been going back over them to have a closer look, so I post what catches my fancy.

Denny

User_Removed
3 Feb 2013 - 8:24 PM

I don't have a style.

To me, that would suggest having reached a static stage in my photography.

I prefer to think of my hobby as being an evolution - in terms of what I photograph, how I photograph it and the technology that I use to photograph it and process the images.

It is that evolutionary element that has kept me interested for 50+ years of active photography.

Meheecho
Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 8:31 PM

As a relative newcomer to photography and the web, in particular, I take photos of subjects that interest me and ,hopefully, will spark the same in others.These can vary from day to day .
As for success-----this road is always under constructionGrinGrin

paulcookphotography

My initial passion for photography came through landscapes and wildlife, and after winning a few competitions and awards thats what people who knew me pretty much expected from me.

I was, however, assisting at weddings, events and in studios, but that was 'work' and was always kept apart from my 'hobby' photography.

It wasn't until some time later that i decided i wanted to experiment more and thats where my 'style' sort of found me. I realised then that i could combine my art/creative background with my passion for photography and create something that is 'me'.

That said, i do like to mix it up now and again, so i still do wildlife work, studio shoots, my digital art, etc. I am working on a follow-up to my lego Star Wars series i did a few years ago, as well as some other little projects. I think its good to keep yourself fresh and not get too bogged down in one style or get pigeon-holed. Ok, so not everyone is going to like the changes (i remember getting some rather nasty emails from folk on flickr when i started posting studio and conceptual works on what had always been my landscape and wildlife work), but i dont take pics (hobby ones) to please others

213hardy
3 Feb 2013 - 8:43 PM

Quote: I think its good to keep yourself fresh and not get too bogged down in one style or get pigeon-holed.

That's kind of what i think, And i've decided for this year to try more new stuff and experiments, this world around is so diverse i just want to show people some of the things they are missing, I've become so much more observant since i picked up a camera.

Last Modified By 213hardy at 3 Feb 2013 - 8:44 PM
gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6523 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 9:23 PM

I started out preferring landscapes then moved to macro and recently wildlife, it depends on the time of year too, not too many insects to be found for my macro shots in winter for example.

The most important thing to remember is amature photography is for pleasure so what is right for one is not for another, you enjoy taking what catch's your eye and there is nothing wrong with that.

Just enjoy and do what pleases you.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73851 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 9:34 PM

Quote: Style, I don`t think I have one Smile

Wouldn't say that Paul, I think yours is quite distinctive, reportage, high contrast mono (done very very well).

It's good to look back in your own PF sometimes, just to see how its progressing. I've long stopped thinking about 'my style' just shoot and process what I feel like these days, as I'm not getting much time to do some of the projects I would like to tackle.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Feb 2013 - 9:35 PM
213hardy
3 Feb 2013 - 9:38 PM

Quote: It's good to look back in your own PF sometimes, just to see how its progressing.

Definitely think i'm progressing(maybe), often find it tricky to tell as i'm my own worst criticTongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315202 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 9:42 PM

Quote: Wouldn't say that Paul, I think yours is quite distinctive, reportage, high contrast mono (done very very well)

Cheers thanks, thing is I`ve been using a camera for as long as I can remember and don`t even think about it.

I think the mood your in can play a big part, even more so if you have a split personality Smile

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 10:38 PM

I think there is a huge difference between a "style" and someone just photographing one particular subject. When I painted, I had a definite style, but this took years to develop and that style could be seen whatever the subject matter. As I strive to improve my photography it is more important to me to take diverse subjects and tackle stuff and techniques I'm not confident about rather than concentrate on developing a style or being the best at one genre. This is certainly not a recipe for getting editors awards or loyal voters/followers, but to someone new to photography, the gains in skill and confidence far outweigh the need for this.

I'm sure I will at some point, concentrate my efforts on one particular style or genre... but I don't see any hurry.

carper123
carper123  280 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 8:48 AM

Hi, Everyone, i have been taking images for about 18 months, and my photography has been substantially influenced by my fellow ephotozine members, from the beginners right through to the most experienced, and above all there willingness to share knowledge and experience, in particular, words of encouragement, always constructive. I feel that i am developing a style and diversity in my imagery, because of this social website. The creativeness and quality of images by members is up there with the best and would not look out of place in any photographic publication.
Keep up the good work members and we will all learn and develop our skills and own style.
Many thanks.
Darryl.SmileSmileSmile

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 9:05 AM

Bit of a "one trick pony" me, pretty much all seascapes. Thing is, that's what I like and I take photographs for me first and foremost, if anyone else likes them, then that's a bonus. I seemed to develop a "style" quite early on and when I try anything else it just doesn't sit right with me. I'm happy with my work though, and I guess ultimately, that's all that matters. Smile

Rgds
Paul

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 9:57 AM

Quote: I don't have a style.

To me, that would suggest having reached a static stage in my photography.

Are you sure you're not confusing 'style' with 'formula'? A lot of people apply a formula to every shooting situation and call it a style when all they are doing is using a set approach as a substitute for really thinking about the subject they are photographing and how they'd like to capture it.

Having a 'style' is much more of a personal thing and should go to the core of who you are as a person. It's not something you can pick up or drop at will; it's about how you approach any given shooting situation and what you bring to it as an individual.

And if you need to ask the question then you almost certainly don't have one.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.