Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A question of Style

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Having a 'style' is much more of a personal thing and should go to the core of who you are as a person

Looking at it from this perspective I think not having a style is a style in itself. I have wide and varied interests in life and I think my photography echoes this. Whilst I enjoy trying to emulate some of the stunning images I see on here I also enjoy looking for a different viewpoint and picking out the detail in things.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Feb 2013 - 10:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 10:23 AM

Style distinguishes you

Subject is what you shoot

You can apply style to subject, but they are different.

Its all very individual really - comes as a result of "doing" stuff - if you do stuff in the same way over and over, a style develops - a bit like an evolution process.

Some are like Madagascar, evolving separately to the rest - others are like the USA and become a mish-mash of styles

Where you place your lights for portraits can be the route of your style.

Usually, it's how you process the image that dictates style these days - good or bad ?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 8:52 PM

....looks like I killed another thread Wink

ade_mcfade
4 Feb 2013 - 9:05 PM

Style often means that people can instantly recognise your work

I get that a lot on here and face-ache

"knew it was yours" etc. etc. etc.

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6555 forum posts213hardy vcard England
4 Feb 2013 - 9:30 PM

I know what you mean, Ade, often have a trawl through and can pick out peoples work just by the thumbnail, would be interested to know if people can do that with mine.

If so then i've inadvertently developed a style. Unsure whether thats a good or bad thing really.

ade_mcfade
4 Feb 2013 - 9:37 PM

good thing if you want to get work.... if people see a consistent style throughout your portfolio, they know what they are likely to get should the hire you

if you are all over the place, with no style or consistency, they'd be taking a real punt hiring you

they may like taking punts

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73881 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 9:40 PM

Quote: I get that a lot on here and face-ache

"knew it was yours" etc. etc. etc.

Just shows they can read your logo Wink

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6555 forum posts213hardy vcard England
4 Feb 2013 - 9:47 PM

Next question then, ade, do I have a style?

Have a butchers at my pf, then feel free to give honest opinion. The only thing I can say for sure is that i've improved from my first upload.

(hmmm, wonders now what I've let myself in forTongue )

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 10:10 PM

Quote: Style distinguishes you

Subject is what you shoot

You can apply style to subject, but they are different.

Its all very individual really - comes as a result of "doing" stuff - if you do stuff in the same way over and over, a style develops - a bit like an evolution process.

I completely get what you are saying here but how do you guard against the comfort of complacency? Style may be what distinguishes you but what if that distinction says "predictable". If you keep doing what you are doing you'll keep getting what you've got, after all. I take your point about giving a client security but keeping things fresh and challenging is also important.

So, how do you develop an instantly recognisable style yet still surprise others by your innovation and creativity?

ade_mcfade
4 Feb 2013 - 10:12 PM

logo doing it's evil work of spreading my name lol

just had a quick look - reminds me of my "experimental" stage, going back to 2004-2006ish - not really a consistent style I could describe, but an experimental and quirky approach.

keep going as you are and one will appear once you find your groove

maybe try nicking someones style for a bit - everyone nicked Keithh's for a few years after all Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 10:16 PM

Past tense?Tongue

Lol Wink

ade_mcfade
4 Feb 2013 - 10:22 PM

Quote: So, how do you develop an instantly recognisable style yet still surprise others by your innovation and creativity?

by developing an innovative and creative style?

the best 2 examples we've had on here are DeLone and BreadAndShutter

They are instantly recognisable from even 1/10th of the thumbnail - yet are innovative and very creative.

It's more about a feel really - hard to put your finger on. Remember Paul Indigo? He's got a very clear, bright and friendly style where you see people with beaming smiles in their natural envinronment.

With straight photographers (i.e. not huge DM or photoshopped results) style's all about their camera control and lighting control - be that natural, flash or a mix of the 2. Add to that the interaction with sitters/models if there are people involved, and make up and stylists if they're involved... Rich Spurdens often uses the same make up and stylists, the same lighting and varies the models and location.

ade_mcfade
4 Feb 2013 - 10:23 PM

Quote: Past tense?Tongue

Lol Wink

oops - forgot you were back #doffs cap#

keeping well "darn sarf" I hope Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 11:47 PM

Champion, like

ade_mcfade
5 Feb 2013 - 12:17 AM

Grand

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.