Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

A question of Style

iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 12:33AM
Lots of photographers on here do have there own style regardless of subject. It's more obvious with people's portrait work but others that shoot a variety of subjects can still be recognised from thumbnails. I would say style shows a maturity of skills. If I dare say this, the RPS look for a person to have a distinctive style when submitting panels for their higher distinctions. Something that even good but less experienced photographers may find difficult.
Have look at say a Fellowship panel and what ever you might think about the pics you will see a style and have no doubt they were taken by the same person.

Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Feb 2013 7:56AM
But does it matter? Surely an image should be judged on its own merits, not just that it looks the same as your other images
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Feb 2013 9:52AM
An image - yes

A photographer - I'd probably err towards one with a style were I hiring one.

You've definitely got a style Nick - like it or not Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Feb 2013 10:32AM
Tbh I don't care if I have a style if you process what you like you will inevitably process to your own tastes, and I guess the more you learn the closer to the vision you have in the minds eye you will get.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 11:23AM
I think of the regular posters on epz, andrew aka Scaramanga has the most distinctive style.
Whether he's posting portraits of conceptual scenes, the toning and texturing are fairly easy to recognize.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 1:00PM
Should read portraits OR conceptual scenes...
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Feb 2013 2:47PM

Quote:I think of the regular posters on epz, andrew aka Scaramanga has the most distinctive style.
Whether he's posting portraits of conceptual scenes, the toning and texturing are fairly easy to recognize.

interesting you mention "toning" and "texture"

both of these are done in post production

can you name any "straight photographers" (ones who don't do "much" post) who are distinctive.

I mentioned Barry and DeLone - they're pretty heavy on the post work.

I think Paul Indigo is probably the straightest photographer on here and you can tell his work straight off.

so to open the discussion....

in 2013 - is style created in camera, or in post ?
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 3:28PM

Quote:can you name any "straight photographers" (ones who don't do "much" post) who are distinctive.

I'm not familiar with Paul Indigo's work, but having just found his 500px page, nothing jumping out at me about a particular style...

However, a style is possibly more visible in a post produced image, as it is more of a unique interpretation that might not be possible to capture photographically, whatever the lighting, makeup or whatever.

It wouldn't be that difficult in creating a style without post, simply by adding the same key element to each capture taken whatever genre, thereby creating an association with all captures in that it has the same key element.
Some of the wildlife photographers use this idea to a degree, by using a unique perch and background as the feedstation, that becomes familiar to those viewing, me included.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Feb 2013 3:55PM

Quote:You've definitely got a style Nick - like it or not Wink

Go on then you've got me intriqued Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Feb 2013 6:25PM
.....SINISTER.....

MUA HA HA HA HAHA.....

Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Feb 2013 6:32PM

Quote:.....SINISTER.....

MUA HA HA HA HAHA.....

Wink

LOL.. well yes I'm left handed Wink

(and heres me thinking I was just a landscape photographer Wink )
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Feb 2013 6:53PM
very dark.... look at the thumbs... moody.... dark... dark vignettes....

all adds up to a style

looks good
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Feb 2013 7:24PM
May just have to make my next upload a bit lighter then Wink just to add some punctuation in the PF. But do have some sinister ideas brewing
213hardy e2
6 643 England
5 Feb 2013 7:58PM

Quote:so to open the discussion....

in 2013 - is style created in camera, or in post ?

Don't ask me, i don't have oneTongue

Quote: not really a consistent style I could describe, but an experimental and quirky approach.

Strangly you're the 2nd person in as many days to mark my approach as quirky, maybe i do have a style after all.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Feb 2013 8:29PM
you're like a sine wave - oscillating wildly Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.