Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A question of Style

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4204 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 12:33 AM

Lots of photographers on here do have there own style regardless of subject. It's more obvious with people's portrait work but others that shoot a variety of subjects can still be recognised from thumbnails. I would say style shows a maturity of skills. If I dare say this, the RPS look for a person to have a distinctive style when submitting panels for their higher distinctions. Something that even good but less experienced photographers may find difficult.
Have look at say a Fellowship panel and what ever you might think about the pics you will see a style and have no doubt they were taken by the same person.

Ian

Last Modified By iancrowson at 5 Feb 2013 - 12:34 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Feb 2013 - 12:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 7:56 AM

But does it matter? Surely an image should be judged on its own merits, not just that it looks the same as your other images

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014556 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 9:52 AM

An image - yes

A photographer - I'd probably err towards one with a style were I hiring one.

You've definitely got a style Nick - like it or not Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 10:32 AM

Tbh I don't care if I have a style if you process what you like you will inevitably process to your own tastes, and I guess the more you learn the closer to the vision you have in the minds eye you will get.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think of the regular posters on epz, andrew aka Scaramanga has the most distinctive style.
Whether he's posting portraits of conceptual scenes, the toning and texturing are fairly easy to recognize.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 1:00 PM

Should read portraits OR conceptual scenes...

ade_mcfade
5 Feb 2013 - 2:47 PM

Quote: I think of the regular posters on epz, andrew aka Scaramanga has the most distinctive style.
Whether he's posting portraits of conceptual scenes, the toning and texturing are fairly easy to recognize.

interesting you mention "toning" and "texture"

both of these are done in post production

can you name any "straight photographers" (ones who don't do "much" post) who are distinctive.

I mentioned Barry and DeLone - they're pretty heavy on the post work.

I think Paul Indigo is probably the straightest photographer on here and you can tell his work straight off.

so to open the discussion....

in 2013 - is style created in camera, or in post ?

arhb
5 Feb 2013 - 3:28 PM

Quote: can you name any "straight photographers" (ones who don't do "much" post) who are distinctive.

I'm not familiar with Paul Indigo's work, but having just found his 500px page, nothing jumping out at me about a particular style...

However, a style is possibly more visible in a post produced image, as it is more of a unique interpretation that might not be possible to capture photographically, whatever the lighting, makeup or whatever.

It wouldn't be that difficult in creating a style without post, simply by adding the same key element to each capture taken whatever genre, thereby creating an association with all captures in that it has the same key element.
Some of the wildlife photographers use this idea to a degree, by using a unique perch and background as the feedstation, that becomes familiar to those viewing, me included.

Nick_w
5 Feb 2013 - 3:55 PM

Quote: You've definitely got a style Nick - like it or not Wink

Go on then you've got me intriqued Wink

ade_mcfade
5 Feb 2013 - 6:25 PM

.....SINISTER.....

MUA HA HA HA HAHA.....

Wink

Nick_w
5 Feb 2013 - 6:32 PM

Quote: .....SINISTER.....

MUA HA HA HA HAHA.....

Wink

LOL.. well yes I'm left handed Wink

(and heres me thinking I was just a landscape photographer Wink )

ade_mcfade
5 Feb 2013 - 6:53 PM

very dark.... look at the thumbs... moody.... dark... dark vignettes....

all adds up to a style

looks good

Nick_w
5 Feb 2013 - 7:24 PM

May just have to make my next upload a bit lighter then Wink just to add some punctuation in the PF. But do have some sinister ideas brewing

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 5472 forum posts213hardy vcard England
5 Feb 2013 - 7:58 PM

Quote: so to open the discussion....

in 2013 - is style created in camera, or in post ?

Don't ask me, i don't have oneTongue

Quote: not really a consistent style I could describe, but an experimental and quirky approach.

Strangly you're the 2nd person in as many days to mark my approach as quirky, maybe i do have a style after all.

ade_mcfade
5 Feb 2013 - 8:29 PM

you're like a sine wave - oscillating wildly Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.