Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A question of Style

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41177 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 10:22 PM

Sine waves aren't wild, they have an exact periodicity and amplitude, otherwise the values of sin and cosine would vary !

Tongue

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Feb 2013 - 10:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022789 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2013 - 11:21 PM

Dead thread.

paulcookphotography

Quote:
so to open the discussion....

in 2013 - is style created in camera, or in post ?

Both, although not always combined

Over the years people have said i have a certain style of photography. Mostly that i shoot from low angles and include vast dramatic skies (when it comes to landscapes and/or some model shoots), but that drama is seen in my digital artwork and studio shoots. I also shoot with square formats in mind for 99% of my images that people who follow my work see that coming through regardless of the subject (or medium for that matter as its the same for my drawing and painting.

Style is just an expression of who you are. It finds you as much as you find it. Its like an accent i guess

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72147 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 10:44 AM

Brightonian has quite a unique style, which I realise is post-produced,
but which also would have looked stylised straight out of camera.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014728 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 11:52 AM

RAW files are pretty dull so there's obviously some processing needed... even the position of the basic sliders in lighroom can hint at who's a shot is.

remember Andytvcams.... so incredibly dark

there's loads really... culturedcanvas got on the strobist tip quite fast and created a distinctive look.

best go earn some money... photographing doors.... love it... make a door look sexy... Wink

capto
capto e2 Member 2989 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 12:43 PM

Style? I've no idea, maybe it's what others see in your work. I think I'm condemed to always be a Jack and never a Master. But I enjoy it.

DeLone
DeLone  5
11 Feb 2013 - 7:14 PM

Every person has a style, whatever you do. People get influenced by themselves and of course by others. Most people get more influenced by others and a few more by themselves. The ones who get influenced more by themselves have a personal style and the risk in having that kind of style is to get predictable. I like the works of Erwin Olaf but lately I find his work too predictable and I know it isn't fair to say because the man is a master. Style can kill you and that's a shame. I mean David Bowie is a master but hearing 1.000 songs of him is a bit of a bore. People expect you to change and look for other ways, but that means you'll have to let go a piece of your personality. It's all very contra.
(excuse me for my bad english, I am just a guy from Holland)

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 8:41 PM

Quote: (excuse me for my bad english, I am just a guy from Holland)

It's a lot better than some of the English guys on here. Wink

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 5540 forum posts213hardy vcard England
11 Feb 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: (excuse me for my bad english, I am just a guy from Holland)

And it's miles better than my DutchSmile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73819 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 9:06 PM

Quote: Style can kill you and that's a shame. I mean David Bowie is a master but hearing 1.000 songs of him is a bit of a bore. People expect you to change and look for other ways, but that means you'll have to let go a piece of your personality

English may not be your first language Ruadh, but some of the best words in the forums. What made the early Bowie great, was the constant reinvention - your right since the early eighties he became predictable. Erwin Olaf is just outstanding, and I can see his influence in your early works - I would also hazard a guess you are probably more influenced by the great artists from your country, than other photographers. For me your work oscillates from those that I think are brilliant, to those I dislike - that's not a criticism - far from it, at least you push boundaries.

The point about showing a piece of your personality, says it all- but how many are prepared to do that?

Last Modified By Nick_w at 11 Feb 2013 - 9:08 PM
DeLone
DeLone  5
11 Feb 2013 - 9:33 PM

Well, thanks for the positive reactions on my dutch 'english'. Nick, your last sentence is a good question. I believe it is indeed a mater of being prepared to show something personal. One does not only need the will to do that but also the ability. It has all to do with being free and able to feel freedom within yourself. I guess you'll have to be a black sheep to feel that way and I also think that the nature of creativity is freedom. Every photographer, painter, musician or whatever else you may be in the creative fields should be aware of that nature. There are no boundaries within creation. It's the ultimate way to stay in conatct with your deepest self.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73819 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 12:17 AM

It's great to see you contributing Ruadh. Yes you need the ability, but without the will... You need both. I see many images both here and elsewhere, that are good, but rarely transcend the barrier to been great. Too many I fear fear rejection. Like in sport, the great teams are prepared to lose to gain the big prize (as opposed to fearing losing). Which was my point about your work you love or dislike it, there's in middle ground, now that is what I like in an artist.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014728 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 2:08 PM

Quote: Well, thanks for the positive reactions on my dutch 'english'. Nick, your last sentence is a good question. I believe it is indeed a mater of being prepared to show something personal. One does not only need the will to do that but also the ability. It has all to do with being free and able to feel freedom within yourself. I guess you'll have to be a black sheep to feel that way and I also think that the nature of creativity is freedom. Every photographer, painter, musician or whatever else you may be in the creative fields should be aware of that nature. There are no boundaries within creation. It's the ultimate way to stay in conatct with your deepest self.

I think I understand and I think I agree Wink

would "do your own thing" sum it up?

the point about "the will" - I'm not entirely clear on what this was hinting. Are we saying that "without the will" people are conforming to what is popular/acceptable? Genuine question, as I've read it over and over and not really sure what it means...

I've got a friend who does hypnosis professionally (for personal development) and he uses vague language to achieve trance - just reads a bit like that, which is not a bad thing, it just means I can interpret in many ways... which may not be your intention Smile

keithh
keithh  1022789 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 3:43 PM

You can change styles, you can tweak styles but you can't lose a signature and its that which people often confuse with 'style'. It might be a particular tone, subject, a form of presentation. When people say "I knew it was yours," what they are recognising is often your signatures rather than a style.

I've seen people on the subject of style start talking about subject.......that's signature not style.

DeLone
DeLone  5
13 Feb 2013 - 3:53 PM

I meant by 'will' the total commitment to a thing called photography. There are lots of people who make photographs and there are those who eat, sleep, drink, live photography. When you have that kind of absolute commitment your work will get a certain personality or indeed style (keithh has some clecer words written about it).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.