Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A rip off ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bonvilston
    19 Jan 2012 - 1:25 PM

I have been browsing through the competition announced on here, but from a cross the web. They seem to invariably have a statement such as this in the terms...

"I hereby grant the Sponsoring Organization the perpetual, non-exclusive, world-wide right to publish, republish and repurpose my artwork in both print and digital formats, including, but not limited to magazines, promotion materials, websites, databases and as part of downloadable digital products."

It seems to be a normal standard, but it appears to me like its an easy way to get a big stock library without paying. have I got this wrong or are these competitions just ripping off photographers ?

Has anyone had experience of entering any of them ? Do you feel ripped off ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Jan 2012 - 1:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56481 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2012 - 1:38 PM

It is quite common, and there are some competitions that are (to a lot of people) set up specifically to get a photo library. I have never entered any such competitions and have no strong feelings either way: like a lot of unpblished photographers I would look on this as a chance to get 'noticed' but if I was a working pro I can imagine I may view it differently.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Jan 2012 - 3:11 PM

I agree with mike which is why i have stopped puting any photos into any competions or on any sites.
    Some may say "but if you dont display you will never get constructive comments", frankly as long as I like what i have managed to capture with my camera plus a little processing (i hate overprocessed images)thats all that matters to me.
    "the best image is the one you like regardless of what others may think"

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2012 - 3:29 PM

As long as you think the prize is worth entering, then why not. Unless you do sell your photos, they won't earn you anything sitting in your hard drive.
    I have won a few times in EPZ. But none of my images were ever used for promotion. So, nothing lose.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2012 - 4:07 PM

Think it depends on what you want from your photography really. If your a pro, have a stock library a sell your images for profit then I guess no you wouldn't really bother entering competitions. If on the otherhand, you're like me and just an amateur who likes taking images first and foremost for the fun of it, then why not? A chance to win a few shekels or win a prize of some kit seems like a fair deal to me.

If you post your images on the internet, chances are you'll get ripped of anyway with folk using your images (assuming they're any good) at least that's been the case with me on several occasions. At least most of the companies that run the competitions are up front and tell you they might be used for commercial purposes. I've had a lots of my images used by Wildlife Trusts and the National Trust in the past, because they're charitable organisations I don't charge them for their use, but I also say to them that the images might be used elsewhere and they seem happy with that.

Ade

User_Removed
    19 Jan 2012 - 4:22 PM

Quote: Think it depends on what you want from your photography really. If your a pro, have a stock library a sell your images for profit then I guess no you wouldn't really bother entering competitions. If on the otherhand, you're like me and just an amateur who likes taking images first and foremost for the fun of it, then why not? A chance to win a few shekels or win a prize of some kit seems like a fair deal to me.
    Ade

I see it exactly the same way, Ade.

Yes - running photographic competitions is one way that organisations of all types - commercial, charities, governmental, etc - obtain images to use and, at the same time, generate goodwill and PR. As long as they are upfront with the conditions, then good luck to them.

I have no interest at all in "selling" my photographs. (I do let a few languish on Alamy but that is not a serious effort to make money). But when, as happened last week, I get 200 of Jessops vouchers as a prize in a Photo competition I entered, then I am delighted. I certainly don't see it as a "rip off", a term which suggests some element of dishonesty or exploitation.

thewilliam
    19 Jan 2012 - 4:38 PM

Some competitions have a more friendly version and confine their use to winning entries and for a limited time.

When I won the top prize in the "Kodak Portrait Photographer of the Year for UK and Ireland", the deal was to allow Kodak to use the winning images worldwide to promote the awards for one year. Kodak had already given me a handsome prize so I didn't mind the lack of paymentand all uses carried a credit.

I avoid competitions where the organisers do a rights grab for every entry. This is nothing short of crooked!

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2012 - 5:55 PM

Quote: Do you feel ripped off ?

No, You get nothing for nothing in this world, You enter a competition and abide by the T & Cs of that competition, If you don't like the T & Cs for or attached to that competition, Don't Enter the competition, You do have a choice .....!!!

Quite simple really.....Wink

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2012 - 7:04 PM

Always read the T's & C's and if you don't like them don't enter.

Whilst those who try to make a living out of selling images may not like the way things are going on this front it is the way things are and I don't blame the organisers for trying to obtain a supply of images free of charge as long as their T's & C's are clear and upfront.

User_Removed
    19 Jan 2012 - 7:26 PM

Wait... So your complaining about an image you took specifically for the competition being used.

There is no issue here.

Bonvilston
    20 Jan 2012 - 12:39 PM

Quote: Wait... So your complaining about an image you took specifically for the competition being used.

There is no issue here.

Swwills , I was asking a question about something I was not clear on. Is that a problem ????

User_Removed
    20 Jan 2012 - 1:29 PM

It's so they can use the images worldwide in promoting future competitions or in publicity for the current one without worrying about an entrant spotting his image and suing. (see example posters below)

So long as you're not agreeing to allow your images to be sold to or used by a third party I wouldn't worry about it.

I think some of the answers above are based on scare stories originally started by people who saw that rule and didn't understand there is a totally legitimate reason for having that condition.

But do read that small print carefully, that first poster was actually on sale for a few pounds.

20-01-2012-13-18-37.jpg20-01-2012-13-19-15.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Jan 2012 - 1:31 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.