Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A set of "must carry" filters?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Skwerg
Skwerg  3
3 Oct 2010 - 8:28 PM

Hi, I've recently got a Lumix G1 and have some birthday money to spend on it, having got myself a bag and having a Monopod & Tripod which I used with my previous camera, I'm looking at investing in some filters. I consider myself very much a novice, so I'm wondering what is a good set of "Core" filters - i.e. the four or five you wouldn't leave the house without?
I'm less bothered by the make (Cokin vs Lee etc. - I've already settled on Cokin to allow sharing with my wife!) as much as the effects (if that's the right term?). I've been suggested a set of 2 stop & 3 stop Grad and ND filters. Does this sound right? or are there Others I should invest in?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Oct 2010 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
3 Oct 2010 - 8:36 PM

I would look to get a polarising filter to add the above, it's the first filter I had a go with you can cut out reflections on water and also darken skies with them, you can turn them to get the desired effect.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 8:38 PM

Hi James and welcome to the site.

It would help if you could give some more detail. e.g. the type of subject you like to take pictures of. What focal length will you be using the filters with? Also you mention that you want cokin so you can share them with your wife - why does this exclude Lee? Both are slot in type, albeit they may be different sizes.

As a landscaper I never leave the house without a set of nd grads (0.3, 0.6, and 0.9 in hard and soft varieties) and a polarizer.

HTH's,

Adam

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
3 Oct 2010 - 8:39 PM

Quote: ...you can turn them to get the desired effect.

(Optimum effect is achieved where the sun is at 90 degrees to your subject Wink)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Oct 2010 - 8:40 PM
WilliamRoar
3 Oct 2010 - 8:39 PM

Circular Polariser is a must.

Kris_Dutson
3 Oct 2010 - 8:42 PM

I'd go for a 1 and 2 stop grad - you can always stack them to get the 3 stop.

As for a polariser; unless you have a lot of reflections to kill (their other main use) then the grads used correctly will give you all the blue sky you need.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
JJGEE
JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 8:43 PM

Quote: What focal length will you be using the filters with?

Why is the focal length relevant ?

Skwerg
Skwerg  3
3 Oct 2010 - 8:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I have circular UV & polarising filters, and a definate need to practice and understand how to use them! I had excluded Lee on the (wrong?) assumption they'd not fit in the same holders... Part of my problem is I'm somewhat undecided on my preferred subject - I guess I tend toward lanscape with a good dose of nature - trying to snap dragonflys has been entertaining this summer! I associate the use of filters very much with landscapes really though (compensating for the bright skies), and thus tend towards fairly large depths of field (I hope that's the right term - higher f numbers at least)

Skwerg
Skwerg  3
3 Oct 2010 - 8:54 PM

What's the difference between hard and soft filters?

User_Removed
3 Oct 2010 - 8:58 PM

Quote: Why is the focal length relevant ?

Agreed.

Focal length is irrelevant.

keithh
keithh  1022760 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 9:09 PM

Quote: Focal length is irrelevant.

Not entirely true when it comes to ND Graduated Filters. The longer the focal length, the harder the graduation has to be be to give an equivalent result. Hence why some manufacturers offer 'Extra' Hard Graduated.

...and with that he left the building.

User_Removed
3 Oct 2010 - 9:17 PM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(If one pushes hard enough!!!!!!!!!)

Welcome back Keith.

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Oct 2010 - 9:21 PM
Kris_Dutson
3 Oct 2010 - 9:29 PM

Who?

flaming-devil-light.jpg

wink-light.jpg

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73817 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 9:29 PM

Quote: What's the difference between hard and soft filters?

It's to do with the transition between the dark dyed part of the filter and the non dyed part. Hard are very distinct, soft well it's a gradual smooth transition.

I was told once hard are better for cropped sensors (tho never did understand why). Soft are better if you have something that breaks the horizon.

Hard grads are much easier to position, tho when you get it slightly wrong it also stands out like a sore thumb.

Oh and welcome back Keith, I think Wink

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Oct 2010 - 9:32 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2010 - 9:32 PM

Crikey Keith good to see/hear from you....i guess the "extra hard" grads are for the extra hard landscape togs!TongueWink

(sorry to butt in on your thread Skwerg!)

Last Modified By Scutter at 3 Oct 2010 - 9:36 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.