Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Strange Yearning for a Camcorder

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110235 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

Maybe CB and a few other video experts can turn me back on the straight and narrow path of photography but I've been having inexplicable yearnings to get a camcorder

What started it was the fact that I've begun shooting instructional AV shows for public display and realised that I really needed a little point and shoot to take pics of some of my camera / other bits set-ups,
But
all the cheaper P&S cameras seem so ridiculously small (for my somewhat arthritic hands anyway).

I spent a few minutes in our local PC world and they had some nicely sized Sony camcorders which could also take 8mp stills and for some reason they seemed to nestle quite nicely in my hand going, buy me, you know you want to! Grin

So, has anyone else gone down this route and if so, is it worth it? (prices seem ridiculously low at the moment?)

In additon to my AV work I was thinking of them for Macro video, airshow and windsurfing type use (along with the required Grandchildren activities of course Smile )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
25 Apr 2013 - 10:11 PM

Seems like a wrong move to me, with DSLRs now having video capability. Smile Having said that, I have a Sony Handycam HC19E which I bought a few years ago to take on holiday. Great wee camcorder, I used it to create a video presentation of video clips interspersed with stills and manipulated stills, which I handed in as my Final Major Project for HND Photography in 2007. I still use my camcorder, but I would love to have a video-capable DSLR so I don't have to faff around with two different cameras. The biggest (well the only TBH) drawback is that I have to transfer the video in real time to my PC, as I'm recording on MiniDV. I've used other camcorders which record to SD card, which makes transfer of files much more efficient. If you want to shoot decent video, a tripod is essential. That's before you frighten yourself looking at the price of Steadycam rigs! I found that my camcorder, though very good, had a very long lens, which didn't lend itself to shooting indoors. A Sony wide-angle lens adapter was about £150 (the camcorder cost me about £300 or so) but I searched the net and tracked one down for £50. Likewise with the battery. The original battery was quite low capacity and a larger one was £114 from Sony. Got one from a battery supplier online for about £12. Hope this helps, Alex.

Last Modified By bigalguitarpicker at 25 Apr 2013 - 10:14 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110235 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 10:56 PM

thanks Alex, some good thoughts there.

The EM-5 isn't bad for video but its the business of what to get as a 2nd camera / camcorder that is the driver here I think (I tried using my ASUS transformer tab today but its so darned clumsy and my HTC phone can do it too but that's too small and fiddly - its a bugger having hands that don't work so good anymore)

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 11:07 PM

How about looking around for a deal on a Pany GF1, 2, or 3 fitted with a 14mm, two birds with one stone Brian.

Something like this.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panasonic-GF2-+-14mm-%28EX-DISPLAY-CAMERA,-PRE-OW...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Apr 2013 - 11:11 PM
brian1208
25 Apr 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thanks Paul, I had mulled that one over a bit but I found the GF2 was a bit small in my hand when I looked at the panny bodies some time back. Even with the EM-5 I have to keep both parts of the battery grip on to make it comfortable to use

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 11:19 PM

You can get those handle thingy`s that screw into the tripod thread.

All you need do is press the red button Smile

Paul Morgan
25 Apr 2013 - 11:24 PM

Or something like this, not too expensive, Amazon warehouse deals is the place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SDR-S70-Camcorder-Enhanced-Optical/dp/B004I1KP...

brian1208
29 Apr 2013 - 12:38 PM

just to update you on where I've ended up, I've ordered an "Opened box but new" fuji XS-1

Paul, you are partly to blame Grin as I have picked up on your positive comments on the X series cameras and, as I understand it. the XS-1 has the same 12mp sensor as the X10.

The EPZ review was pretty positive too

It covers the same range of FL as my current EM-5 lens collection and looks to have a decent range of video options, inlcuding some Slow Motion options for my "Bubble Planet" work

Should have it by Weds so I'll let you know how I get on with it. Weight could be a problem but as it will only be a "Reserve / Fiddling at Home" option I hope that won't be too bad (it certainly won't be too small for me to handle! Wink )

Thanks for your various inputs

samueldilworth
29 Apr 2013 - 12:48 PM

You know how much the X-S1 weighs, right? If not, you’re in for a shock!

Here’s a useful link in the meantime.

Edit: sorry, I missed your comment on weight in your last post. I see you’ve done your research.

Last Modified By samueldilworth at 29 Apr 2013 - 12:52 PM
brian1208
29 Apr 2013 - 12:53 PM

yep, handled on some time back Samuel and read the spec sheets to refresh my memory.

I certainly would want to use it as my "walking about hand-holding camera", but that isn't the objective (I can always return it within the 7 day return window if it is worse than I remember Wink )

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just about exact same weight as a 5D.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 1:25 PM

When it comes to HD video, the playing field is levelled somewhat because you are taking moving pictures with a maximum size of 2 megapixels. The main advantage of using a CSC or DSLR is ability to change lenses and the 'arty' shallow DOF capability.

Brian, it sounds like a decent compact plus a Camgrip (about £7 on Amazon) could suffice, since an instructional video will not normally need arty effects! Wink

I use my shirt-pocket Sony TX55 with Camgrip sometimes. The camera's video bitrate is actually higher than that of my Olympus OM-D. In good light the compact is really quite good.

If you have problems with your hands, a grip such as the one I've suggested, or a pistol grip, is essential IMO. Smile

brian1208
29 Apr 2013 - 2:19 PM

Quote: since an instructional video will not normally need arty effects!

Thank goodness for that, I'm not very good at "Arty Effects" CB (have enough problems with bog-standard video at the moment Grin )

The high frame rate / slow mo vids would be shot off a tripod when shooting my soap-bubbles to allow me to show the convection current effects better than trying to slow down standard 25fps vid which ends up a bit "Stop-motiony" (new word Wink )

Thanks Keith, I had one of those so should just about be OK for what its intended for

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 3:06 PM

Post processing is arguably even more important for video than stills. What software are you using, Brian?

brian1208
29 Apr 2013 - 4:13 PM

I'm still trying to sort that out CB so any advice would be welcome.

I use Proshow Gold and Picturestoexe at present and have tried Magix movie edit pro (but couldn't get on with it)

I even had a go with the Windows Moviemaker prog which I found gave not bad results, but as you see, I'm still flailing about with Video Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.