Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Summer Nights Moth Trapping and Photo Meet????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 8:42 PM

I'm considering putting together a meet which would be an all nighter and most of the following morning to catch and photograph Moths. No mothing equipment/traps would be needed as I have all that's necessary. The only thing you'd need would be your macro gear and the will to stay up all night.

As of yet I'm not sure where exactly where I will hold it and or how many sessions I'd do, a lot of that would depend on what if any interest this post generates. The only stipulation would be somewhere fairly quiet and remote and well away from light pollution such as street lights or cities. I'm willing to travel or we could do at a location close to where I live in Somerset.

I would probably hold it sometime during the months of June/July and probably on a Friday/Saturday night, but this could be flexible.

This is basically just a post to see what if any interest would be out there for such a meeting.......And what number of folk would be interested. I'm gonna be offline most of the w/e, so if I don't appear to reply to any questions or queries asked bear with me and I'll get back to you in this thread.....

Regards to all......Ade

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2012 - 8:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 8:51 PM

I've wanted to do this myself for ages now, even planned it all out a few times - but new photo gear keeps sapping away the money for a proper mothtrap setup as well as extras.

Sadly I'm in Suffolk or Penrith at various points in the year, neither that close to Somerset; so whilst I'd be up for it there is a good chance I wouldn't be able to attend.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 8:57 PM

Tis not cast in stone as to location at the moment, funnily enough I want to try and get up to Norfolk sometime in the year to photograph Swallowtails, so we might be able to arrange something up that way........I normally take the mothing gear on a trip away anywhere anyway, so it wouldn't be that difficult to sort something out if the interest was there, although I'd have to rely on folk with local knowledge as to exactly where we could set up the kit.....

Ade

Mike_Young
6 Jan 2012 - 9:35 PM

I'd be very interested, obviously dependant on a more exact date. The venue is less of a problem, because we'll travel in our motorhome and park up somewhere nearby, then we'll do some sightseeing wherever it happens to be.

Cheers

Mike

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
6 Jan 2012 - 9:44 PM

Now there's a meet with a difference...pencil me in for very interested - Norfolkshire would be slightly closer for me but no big deal..

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5466 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 9:47 PM

Mmmmm that 100mm macro IS is looking even more attractive, and I could go on one of my 'rambles' in either direction.

Ken.

teocali
teocali e2 Member 6212 forum poststeocali vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 10:07 PM

Definitely interested, Ade - count me in Smile
Sylvia

lawbert
lawbert  71686 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 10:26 PM

Definitely interested Ade....Dependant on Location but most weekends im free...Be nice to try some High speed flash inflights!!Smile

maryg
maryg e2 Member 566 forum postsmaryg vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 10:44 PM

Definitely interested but I live in Argyll so will keep an eye on whatever location comes up. I have a daughter in Hitchin and a brother in Hereford so , being used to travelling long distances to anywhere from where we live I might just manage something
.Regards Mary

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 11:10 PM

yup sounds like a good idea Ade pencil me in (location dependant Grin )

Ade_Osman
7 Jan 2012 - 4:02 AM

Might be an idea those that are interested if you could let me know whereabout's in the country you are.......Don't be specific, just the county will be sufficient, then hopefully I can sort something out that will be agreeable to everyone. Or, if enough interest is generated do several meets in different parts of the country so everyone could get a look in. Travelling for me wouldn't be a problem as I would normally stay on for a couple of days in whatever part of the country I'm in and do some other wildlife photography etc.

Also, it may not be necessary to stay out all night as I would capture the moths during the night and store them ready for photographing early in the morning once the sun has risen and we'd have the better light, so flashheads etc may not be necessary, though if you have them, feel free to bring them along. Obviously this would mean an early rise for those that wished to do it this way. But I thought an all nighter might be interesting especially if someone were to bring along a BBQ, few beers or maybe even plenty of flasks of tea etc, that way we could all have a bit of a natter and a laugh whilst actually capturing the moths in the traps. Again just an idea!

Gear wise, you'd need tripods and macro lenses, light tents could prove useful, but not really necessary. Wellies and waterproofs are useful, even if it doesn't rain as the ground can get covered in dew in the morning. Oh and comfortable fold up chairs to sit in especially if you intended doing the all night as there can be a lot of sitting around doing nothing while the moths do there thing.

I would guess about 6-10 members at each meet would make it worthwhile, but we'll see how things pan out. If anyone has any other ideas about how we could make it all a bit more fun and interesting feel free to chip in and have your say. I'm open to any good ideas or thoughts....

To give you an idea of what might be on offer, during the the months of June/July, I normally would expect to catch 150-300 specimens in each trap I use and for the meets I would be using 2 traps plus a Mercury Vapour light against a white photographic background, so in essence there would be plenty of opportunity to see insects you wouldn't normally see in the daytime. I'd also be on hand to offer any advice or help to anyone interested in maybe trapping for themselves and can identify most things, but I'd bring all my ID books along anyway. Never know when you catch a rarity Tongue

Ade

P.S As you might be able to work out from the time of this post I'm a complete insomniac, so all nights out and about is a piece of cake for me Smile

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 7 Jan 2012 - 4:07 AM
CarolG
CarolG e2 Member 7128 forum postsCarolG vcard Greece16 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 6:54 AM

Crete for me, please. Ade GrinGrin

jasonrwl
jasonrwl e2 Member 430 forum postsjasonrwl vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 8:46 AM

I'm definitely interested Ade. Saturday would be better for me than Friday cos of work and I live in Cheshire but happy to travel especially to somewhere within spitting distance of the motorway network. I like the BBQ and beers idea I have to say. Staying awake all night will be a challenge for me (I can and do sleep anywhere anytime) but I'll give it a go.
Depending on location we could maybe have a chance at some sunrise landscape shots as well. Its not often that I get myself out at that time so might as well make the most of it!!
Look forward to hearing what transpires and thanks for offering to do this Ade - its a proper community thing.
Jason

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42289 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
7 Jan 2012 - 8:56 AM

Sounds very interesting Ade we are right between B'ham & Worcester so close to motorway links and always have to travel to see/visit anything worthwhile - keep me up to date please? Also I would be willing to go to the Crete one with Carol - for a fee!! Grin So glad that others don't sleep too! Lou

steveh5
steveh5  371 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jan 2012 - 9:13 AM

Have been considering doing more moth photography, this sounds perfect. I'm in South Hampshire so could make Somerset, or for different species how about the New Forest, the lowland heaths of Dorset or the chalk hills of the South Downs.

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.