Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Summer Nights Moth Trapping and Photo Meet????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 9:24 AM

Dorset here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2012 - 9:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

maggiem
maggiem e2 Member 10333 forum postsmaggiem vcard United Kingdom
7 Jan 2012 - 9:47 AM

I live in Hampshire, but Dorset and other surrounding counties would be considered (along with suitable dates..)
Maggie

Mike_Young
7 Jan 2012 - 9:54 AM

To recap on my details,

Location Haslemere , Surrey.

Have van, will travel almost anywhere Grin

Am retired so can make almost anytime/date.

Greyheron
Greyheron e2 Member 12277 forum postsGreyheron vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 4:43 PM

Hi Ade,

London, as you know. This sounds a brilliant idea as does Crete for the location Tongue I'd be very interested in attending and having that catch-up session we missed at the BWC...!!!

Best,
Mike

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jan 2012 - 5:11 PM

Another Dorset er.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 7:48 PM

Well as of the moment, I'm considering the New Forest and somewhere in Surrey/Kent/Sussex, but still wide open to suggestions as nothing is cut in stone at the present moment. As for Somerset, well as I live here, I could do this anytime.

The New Forest/Dorset region is somewhere I'd like to try as there are some species that are specific to that area which I've never seen before, same could be said about most of the south coast. But as I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd also like to try the Norfolk area and combine that with a short break and some butterfly hunting/bird photography.

This thread is pretty much just an early heads up on something I'd like to try out this year, obviously there won't be any costs involved other than that of getting to where we decide to go, it's just a hobby with which I combine with my love of macro photography. I've spoken with a few folk about arranging something like this at other meets such as the recent one at the BWC and the interest seemed quite high. Though I warn you all now Moth photography can at time be a bit of a swine and very frustrating, catching the beggars is easy, but shooting them can be a bit of a challenge. But if you're interested in butterfly photography etc then I sure you will find it of interest and anyone would be more than welcome to come along.......Especially as we could all have a bit of a laugh and a natter while it's darkGrin

Ade

nicktg
nicktg  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 6:33 AM

If you're still Thinking about this then I may well be up for it. I'm in Gods county of Warwickshire... Grin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 9:47 AM

I am, but after Suzie's recent heart attack I don't know if it's still going to be a viable proposition as I'll have to leave her all night on her own. I'm not worried, but after speaking to Sue about it, her confidence is still a bit flaky. So, I think at the moment I'll play it by ear, I was planning a trip in June but it might be more mid July now, by which time Sue should have more confidence and will possibly even want to join us.
If anyone else is interested let me know where you are and we'll try and select a venue which hopefully will be central to all those that want to come or alternatively I may well do two or three trips at various locations around the country.

Ade

nicktg
nicktg  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 2:03 PM

Fully understand Ade, hope she feels better soon.

Nik

mohikan22
23 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

ADE if you read this could you possibly id this moth for me? it was quietly at home in the long grass all day, even through to about 8pm when i last looked tonight. same spot.(yes its alive i nudged it this morning and it moved)

-mg-7584.jpg

mohikan22
23 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

PS> its appx 40-60mm across.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Is it an elephant moth? It's beautiful. But we do need ADE to identify this please.
Smile

mohikan22
23 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

^^ wrong colours and shape

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Looks very much like a Hawk-Moth - but its not an elephant hawk (they have a much more vibrant colour pattern as you can see here: Elephant moth **)

From my moth book* and going on the visuals alone it looks like a Poplar Hawk-Moth
I can't see much of the antenna, but if they are smooth and flat female; if its got lots of little feelers rising up along the length then male

*British Moths and Butterflies: A Photographic Guide by Chris Manley

** Yes she's upside down -- its the moth's choice not mine Wink

Last Modified By Overread at 23 May 2012 - 11:18 PM
mohikan22
23 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

DAMN beat me to it! you are right Over.. it is a poplar Hawkmoth, i also dug out my butterfly/moth book. When the internet fails you.. USE A BOOK! Grin thanks guys n gals for looking,(thx Ade in advance, hope all is well)

Matt.

PS i took a side shot too it has little "feathers" along the feelers Making that a male.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.