Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A Touching Image

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    collywobles
    22 Nov 2012 - 9:00 AM

I am posting this because its emotional content but also because it has great photographic merit..

1-usa-grief.jpg

The night before the burial of her husband 2nd Lt. James Cathey of the United States Marine Corps, killed in Iraq, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of him, and one of the Mari
    nes asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it" she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted".

-Not sure what is more honorable: Being married to this faithful wife to the end or the Marine standing next to the casket watching over them both.

Last Modified By collywobles at 22 Nov 2012 - 9:04 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Nov 2012 - 9:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 10:03 AM

In all the arguments about the validity of the war, and all the bad reports about civilian deaths and 'friendly fire' I think it is easy to forget that soldiers such as these are humans with the full range of emotions as the rest of us. You are right that this is a cameo that shows not only the human side of the soldiers but also the impact on people who love them and the cameraderie that exists between them.

peted01
    peted01  571 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Nov 2012 - 10:27 AM

Absolutely, what an image, speaks volumes to me. I spent 15 years in the military and as Mike has just said, they are all human, with wives, husbands, kids, parents etc etc..... Sometimes we all have to put aside the politics and the rights and wrongs of why we are somewhere and remember that the individuals who are fighting the wars (generaly) really dont want to be there. And there by the grace of God go I or whatever the saying is ...

gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102288 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 11:35 AM

Quote: In all the arguments about the validity of the war, and all the bad reports about civilian deaths and 'friendly fire' I think it is easy to forget that soldiers such as these are humans with the full range of emotions as the rest of us. You are right that this is a cameo that shows not only the human side of the soldiers but also the impact on people who love them and the cameraderie that exists between them.

I agree with you - it's impossible surely for all reasonable men and women to disagree.
    It seems to me both soldiers and civilians are frequently victims of the madness of politicians...

Garth

collywobles
    22 Nov 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the positive comments guys n gals, I was a little reluctant to post this, but now glad I did.

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM

A very emotive image. A picture can paint a thousand words but this does so much more because it is real.

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 1:23 PM

War is big business for certain countries. It has a turnover of billions of pounds a year, maybe trillions. These manufacturers also spend a lot of money on making sure palms are well greased. Presents, holidays and anything else they can give to get big contracts. If you did not have wars, there would be a big black hole in the economy, with hundreds of thousands of people unemployed. You only have to look at British Aerospace in the UK to see how much turnover and the amount of people they employ. From cleaners to jet pilots.

These countries need to have wars for them to make vast amounts of money. With war, the hospitals advance much more quickly. Go to Northern Island and they have some of the best surgeons in the World. Whilst we have politicians and religion, it will never end. For thousands of years the Arab nations have been fighting for one cause or another. Palastine and Israel have just made a cease fire. How many years has that been going on? Since Jesus came on the scene. Maybe one day, people will realise we are all human, no matter what colour, religion or beliefs we have, we are all the same! My belief is, make love, not war. Its far more enjoyable!!!

zed
    zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Nov 2012 - 3:46 PM

That's a really sad story.

isleofmull
    22 Nov 2012 - 4:20 PM

Hello all, and apologies for taking the thread a bit off topic.

I read all the posts daily, but as yet not contributed a great deal......mainly as, this thread is an example, I cannot see the images being discussed. I can on all other Forums.

Can someone please advise what is the technique for doing so here ? I would love to see the image being discussed in this thread.

Thank you in advance.

collywobles
    22 Nov 2012 - 5:01 PM

Quote: War is big business for certain countries. It has a turnover of billions of pounds a year, maybe trillions. These manufacturers also spend a lot of money on making sure palms are well greased. Presents, holidays and anything else they can give to get big contracts. If you did not have wars, there would be a big black hole in the economy, with hundreds of thousands of people unemployed. You only have to look at British Aerospace in the UK to see how much turnover and the amount of people they employ. From cleaners to jet pilots.

These countries need to have wars for them to make vast amounts of money. With war, the hospitals advance much more quickly. Go to Northern Island and they have some of the best surgeons in the World. Whilst we have politicians and religion, it will never end. For thousands of years the Arab nations have been fighting for one cause or another. Palastine and Israel have just made a cease fire. How many years has that been going on? Since Jesus came on the scene. Maybe one day, people will realise we are all human, no matter what colour, religion or beliefs we have, we are all the same! My belief is, make love, not war. Its far more enjoyable!!!

Your political rants were not the purpose of me posting what I thought is a very good image which speaks for itself.

Last Modified By collywobles at 22 Nov 2012 - 5:01 PM
    StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014696 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 8:24 PM

In these times, I hardly know whether people are serious or not about these daily events. There is so much sarcasm and hatred in the world today, that for many, life has little meaning. This image shows the love and caring that some of the victims receive from loved ones, and the heartbreak and terrible loss. Thanks for posting.

Denny

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.