Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A true Jessops experience!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sconz
Sconz  7 Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hi,
I thought I would share my latest Jessops experience with you. I went into my local Jessops on Saturday morning to get a hotshoe bubble for my Canon 400D as I sometimes find it difficult to get the horizon straight when on uneven ground. My mate had been in a few weeks previous and bought one so I decided to do likewise.
I asked the girl at the counter for the bubble and I took care to explain it in detail. A very blank look came upon her face and she said she hadn't a clue. ok, so she asked another girl who acted as the smarter of the pair but she told me that they didn't stock the bubble in the shop and I might be able to get it online. Knowing that my mate had just got one from the store a few weeks back had me a little annoyed and I told the girls that one was bought there but still I got the same answer. I went to leave, a little annoyed, and as I was walking out, I spotted one on a display in the middle of the shop in full view. I picked it up and went back to the counter, waving it in the air. I was greeted by two red faced girls who were trying not to look even more stupind than they already were. I bought the bubble after a little delay as they were also unsure how to use the gift card that I had been given for Christmas.
I am not looking forward to going back to spend the balance on the gift card!
Sean.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2009 - 10:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 10:56 AM

And the irony of it all - three great big Jessops advert strewn about the page, one of which even in the middle of your post (at least on my PC, could be different for others).

In all fairness, I bought a compact camera from their website recently and it was the cheapest available, and they refunded my next day delivery postage due to a slight **** up. Staff knowledge at HQ can't be all that bad, but I guess many people in store need their training updating from time to time.

User_Removed
13 Jan 2009 - 11:00 AM

Not all employees are as perfect as ePz members I'm afraid Smile

At the latest CBI conference there was in fact a motion congratulating the employers of ePz members for the fact that all of them are practically perfect in every way, they never make mistakes and never do anything wrong (other than spending most of their working day using the firm's internet access to go online to ePHOTOzine)

Grin

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 11:02 AM

Dont blame them, blame the manager and management. I dont think you would take the pay they are getting.... I know I wouldnt.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 11:09 AM

Quote: At the latest CBI conference there was in fact a motion congratulating the employers of ePz members for the fact that all of them are practically perfect in every way, they never make mistakes and never do anything wrong (other than spending most of their working day using the firm's internet access to go online to ePHOTOzine)

The word members was later changed to moderators Wink

agoreira
agoreira  116001 forum posts Wales
13 Jan 2009 - 11:21 AM

Don't think it's a question of perfect sales staff or perfect customers, but it can't be too much to ask to expect a salesperson to at least know what they are selling, what is in their shop window.
Fortunately low pay is not necessarily sinonimous with bad performance, I guess most sales staff would know what they have in the shop window. I know of a camera shop where the staff are very knowledgeable, very helpful and very pleasant, and I don't imagine their wages are any better, so it can be done.

aftertherain
13 Jan 2009 - 11:30 AM

Am I right in thinking all they need to do was check the computer stock list.
That would have confirmed that they had the item in store.

You can blame some of it on lack of training but most of it seems to be lack of intelligence Wink

User_Removed
13 Jan 2009 - 11:32 AM

I must be using invisible smillies Wink

Sconz
Sconz  7 Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 11:33 AM

I agree totally with abwhitt, the point i was making was the same. If you work in a specific field, then a little pride in your work would help. The staff in that shop are consistantly less than aware of what's in the shop. The fault does start with the management, as it's no better, but they could train the employees better. Maybe asking them in the application form if they have any photographic interests might help.

agoreira
agoreira  116001 forum posts Wales
13 Jan 2009 - 11:35 AM

Quote: I must be using invisible smillies

It was aimed at the later comment really, that it's Ok to be totally inept, so long as you aren't well paid for it! Wink Just blame your boss.

User_Removed
13 Jan 2009 - 11:39 AM

Unfortunately, Jessops suffer from the problem that most businesses suffer from when recruiting and that is that many would be employees have an inflated idea of their own worth and value to the business and often see some professions/occupations as 'beneath' them.

Those that are left are often (not always by any stretch of the imagination) the people that an employer, given the choice, would not employ.

Money is not always the reason behind it

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Jan 2009 - 11:39 AM
Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 11:58 AM

not only that but many employees today (At the low end of the scale) are mostly just till monkeys - some hardly stay in the job long enough to get an idea of what is and is not in stock before they are moved on/fired. Its the way of employment at the moment - rather makes one disinclinded to take interest.

As for Jessopes - been in good stores and been in bad ones. I think they need a big training upgrade of new staff to at least a decent level of understanding so that we can expect some basic level of service from the chain

bangalicious
13 Jan 2009 - 12:47 PM

Give the Jessops staff a break. I am sure you could have got a hot shoe level off ebay for about 2.00 anyway. Pah!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 - 1:27 PM

Should have just walked out with it. If they complained, point out that it couldn't be theirs as they don't sell them.

Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 1:39 PM

LOL, the girl in my local Jessops didn't know what a Canon 1D MkIII was and couldn't find it on their site Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.