Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A US soldier is seeking political asylum in Germany after ....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kombizz
kombizz  9591 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 12:02 PM

A US soldier is seeking political asylum in Germany after .......
View here

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Mar 2011 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 1:01 PM

Shades of Bradley Manning - and, like Manning, he will no doubt be regarded as a "traitor". Whenever I see things like this I wonder how often such things aren't discovered and reported.

Andy_Cundell
26 Mar 2011 - 2:36 PM

If you can't take the Sh**, you shouldn't draw the kit. I have no time or sympathy to people like this. You don't join the Armed Forces 'not to fight'.

Andy

ps: before you comment , think what my profession has been for nearly 23 years and 14 years to come............................................................. I know what I am talking about!

Last Modified By Andy_Cundell at 26 Mar 2011 - 2:39 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 4:17 PM

Quote: You don't join the Armed Forces 'not to fight'.

Sadly the way the armed forces are marketed, fighting is about the last thing they want potential recruits to think about.

The ads are all about learning skills which will help you to achieve great things in civilian life, once you have done a spell in the forces. Killing and getting killed is notable by its absence from the recruitment campaigns and PR.

There should be some sort of health warning on the ads - I'm surprised the Advertising Standards Authority hasn't insisted upon it! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 4:31 PM

Quote: If you can't take the Sh**, you shouldn't draw the kit. I have no time or sympathy to people like this. You don't join the Armed Forces 'not to fight'.

I don`t believe its about that, you don`t join up to kill in cold blood.

There`s been a fair few ex Us Servicemen that have quit the forces and spoken out or given evidence, messed up and confused.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 5:49 PM

In this day and age, anyone joining up knows what's happening in the world.

keith selmes
26 Mar 2011 - 6:18 PM

If you check newsreel interviews with young soldiers, and documentary programs, a lot don't.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 6:31 PM

Quote: If you check newsreel interviews with young soldiers, and documentary programs, a lot don't

LOl well a lot of the stuff that appears on youtube is captured by servicemen using head cams or mobile phones, even the odd journalist gets to see and film.

So are we not to believe it, is it all faked ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnGrl791Bg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgdZFTqzLgQ

Shroomer
Shroomer  7 England167 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2011 - 5:32 PM

I've served 34 years now and did just under 6 of those in the Parachute Regt. serving 5 tours in NI on the streets and in the 'bandit lands plus the Falkland Islands. It soon becomes apparent why you join and through the training then as now, you are a War Fighter first and foremost. Its very apparent as if you are either Airborne or infantry you will see action first hand. Everybody reacts to war differently. I transferred to the RAF after the Falklands after I had a weapon pointed at me from a very close distance and the trigger was squeezed. Luckily for me he had a misfire, not so lucky for him as I didn't. I came back with PTSD, which took a few years to work out. Since that day I am still prepared to do my duty. As the old saying goes, you take the Queens shilling, but still the point is everybody is very different and nobody can answer the question 'How will you be under fire'
Some freeze out completely and thus are better out as they put there life and their mates lives at risk. You work as a team and there is no space for them. Its nothing against them and a real soldier will help them.
I am guessing Andy Cundell is Navy. Sitting miles out at sea and safe from the Taliban, unless in port, and definately not qualified to say the things he said.
Also a soldier never kills in cold blood, he thinks very fast, uses rules of engagement and gets the job done, sometimes its wiser not to fire the weapon.

Last Modified By Shroomer at 27 Mar 2011 - 5:33 PM
Andy_Cundell
21 Apr 2011 - 8:55 PM

Mossy Oak, not to get into a slanging match, I do respect your service to Queen and Country BUT your last statement is full of ****. Do you know exactly what I do? Do you know what branch of the Royal Navy I am in? I am a submariner and looking at the last defence review, why did the submarine service not get any cuts? In fact we were given more than we expected. If you don't know what we do, which I am guessing you dont because you never had the security classification and probably never will, you wouldnt be saying that about my qualifications to speak out.

hornchurch
21 Apr 2011 - 9:22 PM

My opinion is that " his nerve is gone " I am not in the military but if you are you need to do the job or leave, my opinion is that a very small minority of people may join the military because of the glory nice uniform but when it comes to the crunch they lose there bottle, this guy should have paid himself out of the military and not deserted, the dramatic " death penalty " part of the film is just that drama it will not happen, he is just ducking out a term in the glass house and thinking he will get away from his responsibilities, he should face the music and then get on with his life..

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102236 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 10:28 AM

I think ALL members of the armed forces should desert until they are allowed to sign a clause that states that they only have to fight if our country is invaded i.e.
in self-defence. Most wars, it seems to me, are caused by self-seeking politicians and their big business chums (especially arms dealers).
I believe no thinking person should want to join the armed forces, knowing that they were being continually lied too by politicians and the media as to the real motives and objectives behind all these wars.

collywobles
22 Apr 2011 - 5:05 PM

If you sign up for whatever reason then you can be expected to shoot someone or /and get shot.

If you cat stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

Quote: I think ALL members of the armed forces should desert until they are allowed to sign a clause that states that they only have to fight if our country is invaded i.e.
in self-defence. Most wars, it seems to me, are caused by self-seeking politicians and their big business chums (especially arms dealers).
I believe no thinking person should want to join the armed forces, knowing that they were being continually lied too by politicians and the media as to the real motives and objectives behind all these wars.

So you think that Gadafi by killing his own people and using fragmentation bombs is driven by
Quote: self-seeking politicians and their big business chums (especially arms dealers). I believe no thinking person should want to join the armed forces, knowing that they were being continually lied too by politicians and the media as to the real motives and objectives behind all these wars.[/

Would you rather stand aside and let that happen. Bosnia was another example - true ethnic cleansing of the worst catagorie - I presume you support that too. Sometimes there are situations in this world that just have to be addressed.

Colin

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102236 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 8:22 PM

Quote: If you sign up for whatever reason then you can be expected to shoot someone or /and get shot.

Well, er yes, I think that goes without saying...

Quote: If you cat stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

My cat is never allowed in the kitchen...

Gadafi should spend more time in the kitchen (or spend more time choosing more flattering outfits) then he wouldn't be killing people!

Quote: So you think that Gadafi by killing his own people and using fragmentation bombs is driven by...

I think he's driven by madness like many leading politicians across the world... and he's using cluster bombs and other weapons supplied by the West...

Quote: Would you rather stand aside and let that happen. Bosnia was another example - true ethnic cleansing of the worst catagorie - I presume you support that too.

I would rather know a lot more about who the rebels actually are and how much support there is on both sides. Gadafi clearly has much more support than we were led to believe.
Oh, Bosnia: True to form, our Lords and Masters lied to us about that too - there was never any genocide on the scale suggested - this was an invention. Nearly 3000 bodies were found as a resul of "genocide" but what we were not told at the time is that these bodies were victims on both sides of the war.

Quote: Sometimes there are situations in this world that just have to be addressed.

YES! and the first one should be STOP supplying arms to every Tom **** and Harry just so we can boost our economy and keep our lousy armaments jobs (arms should normally only be manufactured for a nation's own self defence).
Only "Old Nick" himself would approve of such wicked weaponry that we, and no doubt the Russians and Chinese, produce.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 12:50 AM

Good to see you back, stranger.Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.