Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A US soldier is seeking political asylum in Germany after ....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 8:34 AM

Quote: Good to see you back, stranger.Wink

Good to be back, buddy (Do you say "buddy" in Canada or is it just an Americanism?) Smile
I've been occupied with my music and plans for a video etc. so I'm still alive and kicking!
I must admit that I have been tempted to post my usual opiniated/tiresome tirades on epz but decided to give myself, and everyone else, a rest...for a while Wink
Of course, there has been more and more madness going in the world but it's just history and politicans repeating themselves so there's not much new to say: I guess Wikileaks confirms that!

Garth

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Apr 2011 - 8:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
23 Apr 2011 - 4:25 PM

Quote: My cat is never allowed in the kitchen...

Gadafi should spend more time in the kitchen (or spend more time choosing more flattering outfits) then he wouldn't be killing people!

Not surprised you have a cat!

Now that we agree that Gadafi is killing his own people -- what do you suggest should be done? Nothing?

Colin

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 5:19 PM

[quoteNot surprised you have a cat!

]
[/quote]I lied!

Quote: Now that we agree that Gadafi is killing his own people -- what do you suggest should be done? Nothing?

I think we should not have intervened beyond destroying as many of his military aircraft as possible without killing any civilians.
However, we have already escalated this into a mess we won't be able to get out of.
Frankly, I think that very few people really know what is really going there and I suspect we are being fed all sorts of propaganda.
I simply don't trust our own western leaders any more than I trust Gadaffi - they're all nutbobs as far as I'm concerned - the lowest of lowlife - Gadaffi, Blair, Bush, Cheney, Pearl, Krystal, Wolfowitz, Netenyahu, Saudi royals, Mugabe, etc. etc. - their ugly fat egos are interchangeable - they seem to be all of cold reptilean blood and psychopathic they're certainly not normal and balanced human beings.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 8:16 PM

I was talking to a military man a while back, talking about exactly this - recruitment drives for the Armed Services - and he said that the adverts are completely unrepresentative of what actually goes on. The message is cotton-wooled. Get a career. Make something of yourself. They're targeting kids of 16 and over who don't have the cynical, world weary view of life and politics that we do - or at least, very few of them. It's only when they're part of the system and they get to see what's involved, that retention becomes the problem that it is.

As for Libya - it's part of the plan, isn't it? America wants the Middle East.

As far as an American soldier claiming asylum - if he's not effective, and knows it, he should be getting out. However, who knows what pressure he has been under to prevent his getting out. I doubt that buying his way out is an option, given that service pay is so low.

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 23 Apr 2011 - 8:19 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 8:38 PM

Quote: I simply don't trust our own western leaders any more than I trust Gadaffi - they're all nutbobs as far as I'm concerned - the lowest of lowlife - Gadaffi, Blair, Bush, Cheney, Pearl, Krystal, Wolfowitz, Netenyahu, Saudi royals, Mugabe, etc. etc. - their ugly fat egos are interchangeable - they seem to be all of cold reptilean blood and psychopathic they're certainly not normal and balanced human beings

That's the way of the world though isn't it? In my view, anyone who wants to be a political leader should be prevented from doing so .

Many years ago on a Sociology and Politics week course at York Uni we basically stuffed our course tutor by proposing a political system based on the Jury service, you were called to serve your country for one term of 5 years and not allowed to ever serve again. Elections (compulsory voting if I recall correctly) would be held to decide the balance of power in the elected representatives chamber but as there was really little difference between the parties we decided that those called as representatives would be allocated a party to represent based on a lottery We also decided that Career Politics should be banned by law. As I recall it, he went bright purple and choked on his coffee! Grin

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 9:12 PM

It's ironic that the people who should be in power are the ones who don't seek glory and don't want to stand for office. And, there will always be those who need to rise to the top and be seen as important, wise, powerful.

Humans have such potential for making things right, but we're hamstrung by our egos.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 10:16 PM

Quote: Many years ago on a Sociology and Politics week course at York Uni we basically stuffed our course tutor by proposing a political system based on the Jury service, you were called to serve your country for one term of 5 years and not allowed to ever serve again. Elections (compulsory voting if I recall correctly) would be held to decide the balance of power in the elected representatives chamber but as there was really little difference between the parties we decided that those called as representatives would be allocated a party to represent based on a lottery We also decided that Career Politics should be banned by law

Bri;lliant - I'm sure it would work just as well too. I have always thought that the position of King or Queen should be decided by lottery too.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014648 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 10:34 PM

Good to see you posting again Suzie, hope you're well.Grin

Believe it or not, the United States was basically isolationist before Hitler's invasion of Europe, and Japan's reach for more territory and rescources in the late '30s, early '40s. America was not even prepared for war in those days; her present state of preparedness was brought on by serious threats to world peace, including attacks against her own soil. And she has been called upon, along with other military powers ever since to help police the attrocities of the world. In my opinion they're usually too late, and that includes her allies, and by the time they take action, the attrocities have already taken place. The problem with Lybia in the beginning is that it wasn't known who, exactly, was behind the protests, and who was asking for help. Look at what has happened in Egypt, they're back to square one now; they ousted one tyrant, to be replaced by another. I see no end in sight for the unrest and bloodletting in these countries. Look at Syria; yesterday they gunned down numerous protestors, and knowing that the funerals of those would be today, they prepared for, and attacked those today. To say that the United States is behind all of this really doesn't make a lot of sense.

In regards to the soldier mentioned in the OP; let's face it, as long as there has been armies who have gone to war, there have been those who have deserted their posts, and it will continue forever, it's human nature. I imagine the thought passes through most soldier's minds at one time or another; is this worth risking my life for.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 23 Apr 2011 - 10:35 PM
gcarth
23 Apr 2011 - 10:36 PM

Quote: It's ironic that the people who should be in power are the ones who don't seek glory and don't want to stand for office. And, there will always be those who need to rise to the top and be seen as important, wise, powerful.

Humans have such potential for making things right, but we're hamstrung by our egos.

Hi, Suzi B. Yes: I think our modern culture should embrace some of the Buddhist ideas which emphasize the need to regularly self-monitor our egos, as it were, and "get out of ourselves", look outward with the objective of being at one with the universe.
We need to see these bullying, callous politicians and corporate CEO's people for what they are; children - unevolved people who I would pity if they didn't cause so much suffering to others.

Anyway, I'm saving up for a ticket for Richard Branson's first flight to another planet!Wink

collywobles
24 Apr 2011 - 6:53 PM

Quote: I simply don't trust our own western leaders any more than I trust Gadaffi - they're all nutbobs as far as I'm concerned - the lowest of lowlife - Gadaffi, Blair, Bush, Cheney, Pearl, Krystal, Wolfowitz, Netenyahu, Saudi royals, Mugabe, etc. etc. - their ugly fat egos are interchangeable - they seem to be all of cold reptilean blood and psychopathic they're certainly not normal and balanced human beings.

You should seek help. Colin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 7:15 PM

Quote: Anyway, I'm saving up for a ticket for Richard Branson's first flight to another planet!

Don't you read your SciFi - its full of male chauvinists waving big swords and scantily clad women waving blasters at BEMS - so much like "Western Civilisation" really! Tongue

gcarth
24 Apr 2011 - 8:45 PM

Quote: You should seek help. Colin

LOL. Are you offering counselling, Colin - "shock and awe", perhaps...?

gcarth
24 Apr 2011 - 8:47 PM

Quote: Don't you read your SciFi - its full of male chauvinists waving big swords and scantily clad women waving blasters at BEMS - so much like "Western Civilisation" really! Tongue

LOL. I'm not keen on the chauvinists but I could live with the scantily clad women, so to speak...Wink

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 10:31 PM

Quote:

You should seek help. Colin

He doesn't need it. He's right.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.